1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10.

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Daikun, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

2. artnerfy

artnerfy Member

that's not the free upgrade that's going to be available for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users, that is just the technical preview that has been around for a while now, not the full os. plus, you don't need to be a user of any Windows OS to install the technical preview.
    the official free upgrade isn't released atm.

3. Daikun

The official release date is July 29. However, Microsoft is offering an early upgrade in the taskbar.

[​IMG]

However, there are limitations to upgrading. See what they are here.

EDIT: Okay, so I took the plunge and clicked the icon. It's not an upgrade to Windows 10. It's actually a reservation for the upgrade on July 29. Sorry, guys.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The little taskbar notification was driving me the crazy the last few days, because it kept reappearing even after I'd hide it. I finally figured out this morning how to remove the update that installed it and also keep it from being downloaded again. I have no interest in upgrading to Windows 10.

5. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm kind of hesitant to reserve my upgrade. I'm not technical, so I have no idea. I regularly update my computer via the control panel / updates. If I bought a computer down the line, I also would most likely get Windows 10 anyway. If it installed Windows 10 on its own, and didn't ask me, then I think I wouldn't care.

SHOULD I reserve my upgrade? I'm mostly thinking that they aren't going to have all the kinks worked out of it when it is released/launched (Windows 8).

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

What is the point of putting a reserve down on something that you're guaranteed to get, that is free?

7. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Probably just an auto-update for when you turn the computer on that day, rather than having to remember to download it manually.

8. BooMToon

BooMToon For The Win

I'm using Windows 7 SP1, but what I've seen of Windows 8.1 Update 1, it's not that bad. Plain Windows 8, on the other hand is trash! :mad: I'm looking forward to Windows 10 however.

9. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

I tried the tech preview in a virtual machine, and while I was impressed I'm in no hurry to upgrade. 7's good until 2020 anyway...

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Hey everybody, thought I'd give this a bump. I have four-ish days to decide whether I want to take the free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 or not. On the one hand, seven is working ok for me still. On the other, it seems like 10 is really what MS will support long term, & there is a big update coming. But, it's another story if there are still kinks with it a year in.

Any thoughts from people that have given this a shot and / or have been very attuned to what's going on with it?

11. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Windows 10 used to suck, but it's fine now.

Just be sure that ALL your programs (or a shortcut of them) are on your desktop or on your taskbar. There is a bug in the search function.

12. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Would pressing decline free offer button get rid of the Windows 10 thing?
    I do not want Windows 10 and perfectly happy with Windows 7

13. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Same thing for me too! I'm also wondering that I have 4 days to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm currently using Windows 8. Does anyone know will there be any problems or losing any data?

14. Daikun

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 without losing anything. I tried it on three different computers and had no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

How long did it take to upgrade it?

16. Red Arrow :D

2 hours, if I remember correctly.

Microsoft makes the installation last longer than it should, so more people are tempted the skip the privacy part.

17. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

what features are gone?

18. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

No it's not.

It depends on what you need Windows to do, but I use my Surface Pro 2 for drawing, and the drivers Wacom makes for pressure sensitivity in Photoshop don't play nice with Windows 10. It loses the ability to pick up fine lines or small dots, and quickly-drawn strokes turn out jerky. Unacceptable. I rolled back and the problems went away.

I gave them three chances. I tried Win 10 again yesterday, with the latest Wacom driver, and the problem is still there. Looks like it's gonna be an 8.1 machine. And it's something MICROSOFT BUILT!

My reason for not upgrading my Windows 7 desktop is even more niche: I archive VHS recordings digitally, and since you usually trade recordings with others via sending DVD-Rs in the mail, I can't lose Windows DVD Maker.

19. Red Arrow :D

I didn't know it was possible to 'downgrade' your computer from Windows 10 to Windows 7. I've heard someome saying Windows 10 is extremely hard to uninstall. (But he had to uninstall it to use certain architectural programs which don't work properly in Windows 10)

20. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

My father upgraded to Windows 10 a few months back and it also took a long while, can't remember how much exactly.