1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM Cartoons version differences discussion

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Cool_Cat, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

which DVD is the discontented canary on?

2. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

It is available as a bonus feature on the Myrna Loy and William Powell Collection - Disc 2 (Evelyn Prentice) DVD

3. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

that same print the link I put on there is the same copy?

and the turner print has red borders on the title card correct but no border on the ending titles?

4. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Once again, this is a fanmade titles recreation. And yeah, it uses the same DVD print I told about

5. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Yeah, i was talking about the cartoon not the opening titles, but its a not bad print. It's alright but it seems like it was restored with DNVR since the screen does flicker a lot. And before the dubbed version, we had the Black and White semi-color censored print.

I wonder when all the WB and MGM cartoons will be restored. Imagine if you had every single WB MGM and Popeye cartoon on your DVD restored too. Its possible to restore the MGM reissued cartoons through their backup prints, as you saw on the Golden Collection, and the ones that aren't reissued have their original negatives still exist.

Now we just wonder when the next DVD will be released.

#65 Kevin Mo, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

I don't see much chances, unfortunately

7. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

with the tom and jerry golden collection hardly making more than it costs to restore and advertise, its true that it is a waste of time, but I never knew why WB doesn't put their cartoons (MGM included, all restored or dubbed 1995) on Netflix.

8. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

These cartoons aren't very popular to be on Netflix. I am sure most people don't even know about the one-shot MGM cartoons, besides the Tom and Jerry (and probably Droopy) ones. But who knows, maybe they will surprise us in a way or another ;)

9. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

You have a point but the Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, Tweety, and Foghorn Leghorn series can be on. Tom and Jerry is also very popular. Especially the one-shots that won academy awards or nominated like Blitz Wolf, Peace on Earth, and the Milky Way, Detouring America, High Note, should be popular with audiences.

10. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Of course that for cartoons with these characters is a very big posibillity. :) But I was mainly talking about unpopular one-shot cartoons, like the MGM cartoons from Happy Harmonies, and other shorts like "Innertube Antics" and "The Tree Surgeon". These are very obscure

11. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I saw that little quacker had a mini explosion, if this is a restored print why would it have it?

Where it says an MGM tom and jerry cartoon before the iris out?

12. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Restoring MGM cartoons would be almost pointless because the negatives were lost, it'd mean 90% of the dirt fixing/stabilizer/color correction would be done digitally, and as you can see in the T&J Golden Collections the results aren't great.

Then what you say it's not a "'mini explosion" but a cue mark put at 8 seconds before each film so they could attach another one without interruption back then.

13. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Don't the happy harmonies survive with their original negatives?

14. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

No, they were produced for MGM before the cartoon studio, but MGM owned them.

Besides HD, you can't get more than the existing transfers.

The way they restore them these days is after running the reel into a telecine machine with a modern stabilizer, they digitally fix the dirt by isolating it and letting the software find the best match with adjacent frames.

Considering how the MGM shorts would be safety negatives, they'd have to deal with a lot of dirt. I assume they gave up on Tee for Two on the GC.

15. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

But that means their original negatives burned in the fire too?

16. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

@Kevin Mo Yes

Btw this one aired this morning

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

What's that?

18. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Just to demonstrate how bad all the remasters with the 60s lion card are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. A-Cecil

A-Cecil Member

When Mammy Two-Shoes' voice is redubbed by Thea Vidale for Cartoon Network airings, some of her lines of dialogue appear to have been changed in order to correct her English usage. For example in Old Rockin Chair Tom her original line "Thomas, if you is a mouse catcher I is Lana Turner, which I ain't" has been changed to "Thomas, if you're a mouse catcher I'm Lana Turner, which I'm not" in the 90s Turner redubs.

For foreign language dubs of Mammy Two-Shoes in Tom and Jerry cartoons, Mammy's foreign dubbed lines follow the script as for which one? The original uncensored dialogue by Lilian Randolph or the 90s censored dialogue by Thea Vidale?

20. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I don't like how the discontented canary and old pioneer restored with DNVR on the Myrna Loy and William Powell Collection - Disc 2 (Evelyn Prentice) DVD. Also, is the Old Pioneer under copyright? I'm certain the copyright hasn't expired, but many of the happy harmonies and old cartoons before 1940 from MGM are available without copyright protection.