1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM Cartoons version differences discussion

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Cool_Cat, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

On Laserdisc not. Only on the DVD special feature releases.

2. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

So the LaserDisc used the unrestored features, but all MGM cartoons in fact have dubbed versions that are either only TV rips or DVD special feature rips, correct?

3. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Yes, in a way

4. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I found some really horrid not colors but quality. dubbed Tom and Jerry prints on CN Europe. They were probably record on VHS tape.

5. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Yeah, its most probably because of the print deterioration

6. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

I want to tell you that before, in the late 90s, it looked like the whole m/e track for the most MGM cartoon wasn't accessible, just like it is currently for the pre-1948 Looney Tunes shorts. Since this Polish dubbing of "Red Hot Riding Hood" (1943) used music tracks and cues from other shorts. So issues with the whole clean track weren't also for Looney Tunes, it seems. The same is for "Hepnecked Hoboes" (1946). However, there are some other shorts like "Swing Shift Cinderella" (1945) which were dubbed in Polish interestingly with the whole m/e track intact. Now my guess is either Turner couldn't manage to take the dialogues from all the shorts, or were too lazy to make it for the others, or most probably those shorts were dubbed at a later time, where the m/e track existed by then for all the shorts.

All the Tom and Jerry shorts got dubbings, from what I know, in all languages using the whole m/e tracks intact for all of them (including the Romanian dubbing). While Tex Avery shorts weren't dubbed in very much languages, besides Polish and others that I probably have no idea about.

So how come those Tex Avery cartoons could be dubbed using the whole m/e track, while the others coudn't is a bit beyond me, It could be because of what I said before, or it could also be very well because the shorts got redubs for later TV airings which by that time managed to get the clean m/e tracks for every short intact. Considering that the TVrip from "Red Hot Riding Hood" that I linked is an old one from CN Poland which comes from the late 90s (before the launch of CN CEE), while the "Swing Shift Cinderella" print is from a Boomerang EMEA airing from circa 2005-ish (since probably the dubs were considered a bit old, so they had to make new more modern ones). But I may be very well wrong. And as for T&J shorts, I really have no idea but they may have really made whole m/e tracks for every episode since T&J is considered more popular, so in a way they "had more care on them".

But again, I really have no idea. I just made some theories. Any help regarding this situation would be very appreciated.

7. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

I also checked it yesterday, and Henpecked Hoboes in Polish dubbing has altered m/e audio track.
    BTW: Henpecked Hoboes was censored on Boomerang Europe, but for DVD version I placed the same dialogue line told by George few minutes earlier.
    Speaking of Tex Avery shorts, as I already mentioned in LT Goofs topic, they were dubbed in 1995-1996 for Canal+ ("Red Hot Riding Hood" and "Henpecked Hoboes") and probably in 2000-2001 (when Tex Avery shorts debuted in Cartoon Network Poland - "Swing Shift Cinderella", "Little Rural Riding Hood").

8. NewBogus :)

Back to C+ Tex Avery dubs, they were done in the 2 parts. The first part included shorts which had Włodzimierz Nowakowski (who read the opening and ending titles in Polish dub for C+) but he died 1996 (Mr. Nowakowski read also the credits), the next part included shorts where Roch Siemanowski (Polish TVMarket lector and Coyote&Road Runner shorts lector for Canal+) read the opening and ending titles.

9. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I bet LT dubbed version discussion is going to die off, and I saw barnyard babies blue border version, is that a dubbed print?

10. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Aha!

But the Tom and Jerry shorts were also dubbed in 1995-ish for Canal+, if I'm not wrong, but they did manage to have the clean m/e track intact.

11. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Is there a good quality print of Little Ol' Bosko and the cannibals?

12. NewBogus :)

As I told you few months ago, there were also dubbing goofs for T&J Shorts. For example at the end of "Part-Time Pal", 1946 you can hear mixed Polish and English dubbing voices for Mummy Two Shoes, and in "Puppy's Tale", 1954 you can hear Tom's Polish dubbing voice mixed with English one when he wanted help.

13. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I made a thread about Happy Harmonies dubbed transfers. Is there a dubbed version for the Bosko Happy Harmonies and The Discontented Canary?

14. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Yeah I already know about that. And it may be very well because those parts had issues with the dialogue being entirely cleaned up. I know other examples of this on some Looney Tunes shorts dubbed in Romanian, where they wanted to dub the lyrics of the songs sung by the characters, and they put the dubbed voice over the original English lyrics (since it was the only solution) and it sounded very obnoxiously (example is on the Romanian dubbing of "Yankee Doodle Daffy" (1943))

15. NewBogus :)

Well, for VHS release of Tom and Jerry short "Texas Tom" WB made new m/e audiotrack, as you can listen here:

Sourced from Tom and Jerry: Much Ado About Mousing VHS.

16. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Is this a recreated title, I know the tanner the lion recreation at the beginning is, but it says Happy Harmonies instead of METRO COLOR CARTOON. is this recreated or this is sourced from a turner print?

17. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

This is for sure a fake recreation. The original looks like this (which is also most supposedly the Turner print)

Also, what I don't know on this print of "Discontented Canary" is why at the beginning of the titles the background is recrated in red, and then it turns to the original title in light blue. I understand it's because of (most probably) print issues. But they could have very well edited the original title and freeze-framed it for the whole duration, till the point where the original picture reinstated. This is one of the very strange things done on a titles recreation. It was really unnecessary. Also, I am very sure that at the end of the opening titles, there should have been the title of the cartoon alone on that respective blue background (like on other Happy Harmonies cartoons of that time) Why they couldn't recreate this, I don't know.

#57 Daffyrocks, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  18. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Most of the Happy Harmonies and later High Harman/Rudolf Ising shorts have been heavily DVNRed in the 90s prints. Then again, for MGM shorts there could be more than one version like with T&J.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As for The Discontented Canary it's really weird because I first get a freeze frame of the title card in red, then it abruptly cuts to the one below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

That's what I also talked about a post above yours. And again, it could be very well because of picture issues, or something like that. And because of print deterioration the first time the title card could have looked like this in red for a few frames and then the original picture would have reinstanted. And again, I am very sure that at the end of the opening titles there would have been the title of the cartoon alone on the simple background (like on the other Happy Harmonies cartoons from that time), but it was probably cut again because of the original print issues, as the last bit of the title was spliced off.

20. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

so the turner print is really unrestored? Cause I've seen that copy before. The cartoon has a ton of scratches while playing.

21. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Probably, and they edited the Turner print to look properly for the DVD release.