1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM Cartoons version differences discussion

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Cool_Cat, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

@Daffyrocks Nope, Boomerang CEE aired the old version. The PAL print does have borders and it's redubbed.

2. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

My bad...

But I wonder why they couldn't get the new remastered version.

But do you at least know any alteration between the 90s Turner prints from the USA and Europe?

3. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Coincidentally back when Rai 2 got the Turner prints back in 2002 they had the older one.

Before they used to air the IT dub one with the altered lion card with the Technicolor line blanked out.

About the alterations. there are many of them, like The Bowling Alley Cat or Three Little Pups being DVNRed only on NTSC or Caballero Droopy only on PAL.

There may be the non DVNRed versions on both though.

4. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

BTW: The version of "Push-Button Kitty" with borders and redubbed Mummy's voice is availible in European DVD T&J Classic Collection.

5. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

6. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Speaking of faded prints

[​IMG]

This one actually hurts my eyes

7. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Oh my! This is really horrible! REALLY!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

It's clearly an Eastmancolor print.

In any case, I watched it from my VHS when I recorded it on Rai 2, and it gave me an headache and after that everything was looking green to me. The audio quality was horrible as well, it sounds like a phone.

9. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I'll give it a try to keep this thread alive before it dies.

I checked the Japanese LD collection of T&J and even though it uses the Turner prints, there are many differences between the later DVD 10 volume release. Many of them are the same as the versions aired in the PAL format on CN UK in the early days.

I only have the first volume for now. ALL the Mammy shorts have the original track (the ones used in the second Spotlight volume were not taken from the Turner prints but from the older ones), Down Beat Bear is the other print and The Invisible Mouse doesn't have the audio noise removal.

I'm sure these versions had both Mammy tracks unlike the later ones sent to TVs, considering how back then all the shorts on CN UK were redubbed.

10. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

You mean these Turner prints from the Laserdisc looked different from the ones shown now on TV?

11. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Other than the fact these are the NTSC versions, some do.

I forgot to say Little Runaway was also a different one. The one you see on TV cuts to the other one at the intro/end cards.

12. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

So you say that some of these DVD Turner prints have borders while the TV versions don't, and vice-versa. No?

And what do you mean with the fact that "the one you see on TV cuts to the other one at the intro/end cards"? I don't get it. :confused:

13. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I'll explain it better.

These come from the first Turner print which has DVNR:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the Fred Quimby card and before the The End card the version aired on TV right now and on DVD uses a different transfer (look how the white bar on the right side is gone):

[​IMG]

This one looks way darker especially at the beginning.

Also with Down Beat Bear:

This is the first print (way better with Pan & Scan).

[​IMG]

The other one in the next pic ends in the scene above. They re used the old one probably because they got lazy at re doing the transition. The Pan & Scan is much worse, in the other one you could see Tom's head (look also at the white bar).

[​IMG]

With this said, I just bought two ultra rare tapes. One has Garden Gopher uncut.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

Ok. Now I get it

15. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

@Daffyrocks One last thing, I got lazy to check how Trap Happy was. In a scene on the current version they clearly change print, and I've seen on old threads on CN UK it was muted. Next time I'll check.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

@Daffyrocks Just because you're the guy who likes these things :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And so, here's another "dual" Turner print where the second one was done using the first one's intro and ending.

17. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Hey,Every information from both sites are made by every users who have various knowledge and have proof.

18. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

iMDB is reliable source. wikipedia isnt really reliable cause its edited too often. Make sure if you want to check cartoon differences, go to a blog or tom and jerry wiki or a wiki dedicated since they have a lot less edits, it may be more reliable.

Also, are there EU and USA Turner dubbed prints for MGM cartoons, but not with the dubbed disclaimer and altered end cards?

19. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

There is a single Turner print for both American and European airings. And they don't have dubbed disclaimer at the end (mainly because the whole m/e tracks are available for all cartoons)

20. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Were these dubbed prints released on the Happy Harmonies and MGM LaserDisc?

Since they had the original negatives, i remember seeing some Happy Harmonies on YouTube restored.