Men in Black: The Series - Season One DVD - Target-exclusive!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Brad Redfield, May 2, 2012.

1. Brad Redfield

Brad Redfield Throws his mighty shield~!

So uh... wow. This came out of nowhere.

I was shopping at Target today and looked at thier new releases in the children's section and did a double take:

They had a DVD set of Season One of Men in Black: The Series!

It had thirteen episodes on two discs and a sticker on the front saying it was a Target exclusive release. The price was $14.99, I believe. The cover was all white with stock images of Jay and Kay with a black bar at the top saying, "Season One."

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough to pick it up but I will once I get paid next week. :D

I can't seem to find anything about this on TVShowsOnDVD or anywhere else. This is one hell of a stealth release if I do say so myself!

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Wait, what?

No notification or anything? This is really strange.

:elle: I guess someone should tell Aron, the biggest MIB fan we ever had on staff.....oh wait, she hasn't been to TZ in years and won't explain why, oh well, I guess she'll never know.

3. Brad Redfield

Brad Redfield Throws his mighty shield~!

There also seems to be no listing of this on Target's website. This is just bizarre. I'll go back Thursday when I work, try to snap a pic and get the item number.

4. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

I read on another forum that this is true, and it comes with moviecash too.

Let's hope they do the same with Spectacular Spider-Man.

5. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

I was crossing my fingers and just hoping that they would finally do a DVD release, to coincide with the movie coming out this summer! It only makes sense, since the plot for Men In Black III largely mirrors an episode from Season 1 of the Men In Black animated series.

With such a silent release (and being a Target exclusive?) I question whether or not they'll release the rest of the series on DVD. I don't want this to be another Gargoyles DVD disaster!

But even if they were to release all 4 seasons on DVD, there's a couple of episodes I fear will not be released: one episode in Season 4 in which a fiery battle takes place atop the World Trade Center, and the Season 1 episode where Kay's memory reverts back to that of his teenage years, and "teenage Kay" thinks the tallest building in New York City is the Empire State Building, and Jay has to correct him, letting him know the tallest building is the World Trade Center. :eek:

If that Season 1 episode is on the DVD, then there's at least the hope that the Season 4 episode will be released! I still have it on VHS tape somewhere from when I recorded it...

Hey, I was the 2nd biggest fan: I was the one who contributed an episode guide for her MIB website! :)

6. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

A failed attempt at a "test market" release perhaps?

7. Kirben

Kirben Member

Exactly, Men in Black Volume 1 and 2 were released on DVD in Australia & UK back in July 2007, but we never got any more DVD releases. So looks like Sony are just re-releasing these DVDs in different regions now.

8. Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel "She's...Brazilian."

I bought it today. It's a barebones release--no special features, no menu music. But the sound and video quality is decent. Even though I have "specially acquired" copies of all the episodes, I really want to "own" them the "real" way. Here's hoping American shoppers catch on. There were only three copies at my Target.

9. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

Does it have every Season 1 episode, including the infamous "Neurolyzer Syndrome" episode (with the World Trade Center comments?)?

10. TheAmazingIceman

TheAmazingIceman Spider-Friend

It does include the Neurolyzer Syndrome episode and the world trade center line is in it. All the episodes seem to be uncut. I just watched that episode. When I emailed tvshowsondvd about the release they said they don't cover retailer exculsive releases. Thought that was pretty lame as their site is suppose report on any an all tv show DVD releases. So since they won't let the public know spread the word.

11. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

Are there any pictures of this DVD? I am really really interested in this release as I was a big fan of the show when it aired on Kids'WB!

12. the greenman

I took a pic from my cameraphone. I'll see about posting it, if someone doesn't beat me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

"The Big Sleep Syndrome"

Huh. When this episode was released on VHS, it was listed as "The Elle of My Dreams Syndrome."

14. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

The Big Sleep Syndrome was the original title. A few episodes were renamed after the first airing. These are the episodes with different titles:

The Long So-Long Syndrome (aka The Long Goodbye Syndrome)
    The Inanimate Syndrome (aka The Farewell My Lovely Syndrome)
    The Elle of My Dreams Syndrome (aka The Big Sleep Syndrome)
    The Lights Out Syndrome (aka The Permanent Midnight Syndrome)
    The Spectacle Syndrome (aka The Spartacus Syndrome)
    The Breaking News Syndrome (aka The Bad Boys, Bad Boys Syndrome)

15. the greenman

16. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

My Target only had 3 copies, so I nabbed one. Now let's see if my theater accepts the movie cash...

17. Spike Spiegel

Is there any way of knowing whether or not Sony will complete the release of the series?

18. Spike Spiegel

19. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

20. Bones Justice

Bones Justice Bring on the noise!

This is the third time I've bought season one!

I was totally surprised to see this set when I was at Target. I picked up the last copy they had. I already own the VCD release of season one and the PAL DVD release of season one but I figured this was worth $13.99 since it included ten bucks to see the new movie. I also picked MIB and MIBII for five bucks more. I hope I will be home in time to use the movie bucks before they expire (I think July).

I never knew that season two was released anywhere. I hope they will release the rest of the seasons in NTSC. But I've seen all of the other seasons now and while they were all good, season one was definitely the best one. I did like the last season with Agent X, though.