1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Mega Man" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, May 12, 2011.

1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Finished the Spiritus Ex Machina. While the last issue feels a bit anti-climatic, and the issue of "Do Androids have souls?" isn't gone into depth, it remained entertaining.

On Star trek: DS9, story arcs typically began with a episode laying the groundwork for a much greater story. Spiritus Ex Machina serves the same purpose, telling it story while promising a greater story to come. The shadow of villany is rising, as we see with Xander and Dr. Willy, and more mysteries are brought to the light.

I'll provide an in-depth post on this latter - something just came up.

2. King9

King9 Embraced One

That's kind of the feeling I got from Spiritus Ex Machina. I'm sure the creators have been planning around Protoman's introduction for a while given he's such a fan favorite. To their credit though Spiritus was pretty entertaining and the Proto arc looks great.

3. Gatomon41

The Arc did have a few problems:

1. They never do get around to fully exploring the "measure of a robot".

While the question is brought up, it never does develop very far after the second issue or so. It ends up taking a back seat to Mega Man pulling a McClane and saving the day. In fact, the intellectual conflict becomes "should we even have AI?" more than "Do AI's have souls?" I would have at least had this aspect explored more.

2. Too much stuff going on.

By the end of this arc, we're following 4 different plotlines: Dr. Willy, Mega Man, The Doctors, and Xander. They're all doing different things, and giving different perspectives. Each has a different goal: There's one for action, to lay groundwork, to provide the intellectual conflict, and to develop our villains. The problem is that with so much going on, one of these is going to suffer from a lack of development. This happens to the

3. Rush not talking.

Alright, I know he's a robot Dog, but it irks me that he never speaks.

Overall, I did enjoy the arc. The fact they brought up the a topic such as Souls and Artificial Intelligence is intriguing - it's the stuff good science fiction is made of. I'm a sucker for Die Hard plots, and seeing Mega Man and pals do that made my day. While Harvey made for a poor Hans Gruber, Xander made a great villain and his development made for the real climax of this arc. The art style, while a bit different, grew on me. And despite the limited issues, the pace was fast and didn't slow a bit.

A sidenote: So Pharaoh Man was made for exploring old tombs that have so many snares he had to be built with proximity sensors?

Linkara was right - Ancient Egypt was a Death Trap! :p

4. Gatomon41

Recently picked up Issue #17. In a move to mix things up, the comic actually has 2 stories.

The first has Doctor Light finally telling Rock about his older brother, going into flashback. An interesting story, managing to provide all the background details for those not in the loop. It also gives us a look at a younger Dr. Light and Wily. Wily in particular has a rather 90's look to it :p Also Dr. Lalinde makes a cameo - WOW she looked really good back in the day! :D

The second is a standalone story, featuring Gutsman building a dam. Though it was nice to see a story focusing on a Robot Master, it felt too short to provide any real character development.

#17 doesn't start up an arc, but it does provide some breathing space from the action of the last one. It does continue the setting up of the next arc, providing details and hints of what's to come.

Both are average however. They're technically done fine, but they don't feel exciting and lack any decent action. The last comic feels rather rushed, and doesn't contribute to the ongoing plot.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Do you think they should have skipped doing an arc about Proto Man's origins and waited until after this Super Adventure Rockman/MM3 arc? As a fan, while it was frustrating to have been spoon fed over the decades, I think keeping things behind the veil made Proto Man such an interesting character.

6. Gatomon41

As of this issue, Protoman's origins should have been revealed after the MM3 arc. Or at the very least, told during a much more dramatic situation. Dr. Light telling him while cleaning up the lab is anti-climatic. Such a revelation deserves more pathos than a common conversation.

But then again, bringing right out in the open does avoid melodrama and avoiding frustrating the fans. It allows us to focus on why Dr. Light's own sad recollection over those events.

And there remains the next issue to see were the writer is trying to go with this.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thank you, yes. I agree with you on both points.

I'm thinking, we're seeing the origin from Dr. Light's perspective essentially but makes you wonder if the writer is eventually going to go to Proto Man's in a future arc, that way the reader has the best of both worlds and the story becomes that much more sadder?

8. Gatomon41

That's possible. Though I wonder how the next issue will resolve it.

9. Gatomon41

Got done with Issue #18, which ends the two-part exploration of Protoman. This issue

Though it an interesting character piece, Prototype lacks the tight pace and swift action of previous arcs. It's slower, and it felt that more space should have been used to add more development. It's like were seeing a brief glance at the character, and not getting enough of it in. And the lack of a strong plot weakens the tale. While to does contiune to lay down the foundations, this feels more like filler than anything else.

One surprise was seeing a (somewhat) younger Wiley act nice for once. For a character who is practically defined as "ruthless jerk", it's nice to see some depth prior to his breaking bad.

The Second story features Guts Man and Ice Man in an Antarctic Base fighting evil aliens who assumed the forms of the human researchers.

Okay, kidding about the aliens :p (they're just there for more construction), but I liked this story more. It was better paced, silly, and adds to the side characters in such a short space. And the look on Ice Man's face is well worth the comic price.

Apprently, the comic is taking a break from the "One Game Arc and One Original Arc" formula. The next issues will be focusing on character development (the next one is supposed to focus on Roll). Likely a response to fans who wanted more character development, and partly because of the recently announced Crossover.

While I'm not excitied about it, hopefully the action does pick up.

10. Gatomon41

Recently got done with Mega Man #19.

Apprently, they got a new artists on this one - it's a different style than the previous comics. For me it's a bit jarring, but overall the art reamins managable.

Finally focuses on Roll here, who hasn't gotten the spotlight just yet. It's nice to see her not so dependent on her brother, and that she can think and act fast in a jam. We finally get to see Quake Woman with emotions. However, for anyone whose watched Star Trek The Next Generation knows that robots and emotions can be a problem. And it's great seeing Tempo try to deal with it.

Kalinka sadly gets pushed to the sideline again. To be fair, I don't think she could do much in a situation like this. Splash Woman likewise doesn't get much characterization, but she does aid our heroes.

The only real problem I have is Oil Man's dialouge. The character got flak in the games for the character design, which led to him having a scarf in the comics. But the dialouge, well, comes off as... akward.

Overall, I enjoyed it - stronger tied together plot, nice character development, and a feel good ending.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, same way back when I used to read Sonic, had the same problem. Once you go Spaz...

Yeah... I give 'em props for using Kalinka rather that have her first appearance in the comics be simply 'the one that gets kidnapped by Dr. Wily'

As for Splash Woman, at least it shows an attempt to seed future storylines and build the universe rather than wait until the Mega Man 9 adaptation to show her and who was it Concrete Man in those back stories?

12. Gatomon41

True, it does give us a chance to know and care about the character before Wiley makes his move.

Yup, Concrete Man.

13. Gatomon41

Just picked up issue #20 Rock of Ages, which is also a special issue celebrating mega Man's 25th Anniversary!

It's a strange issue, since it technically doesn't pick up after the last issue, or the Prototype storyline, or the Spears incident or Doctor Wily. Instead it's another stand-alone that takes place

The story itself is almost bizarre because of the unique plot and circumstances. Much of it left me confused, but it's understandable since it deals with

Since it is an anniversary issue, the story is more or less fanservice: It's a celebration for those who played the games. Everything within it will likely bring a smile to the fans. However, since I never played any of the Mega Man games, I have no reference at all at the weird events going on. This, and the disjointed nature, left me confused.

It left me to wonder: Was there any point to this at all? What did it have to bring to the overall plot. After pondering the question, there was one thing: Foreshadowing.
    It's a tantalizing taste of things to come, even if one has no idea what is being referenced.

The art is good as usual, as is the cover. The only other issue I can think of it that it feels like the comic is stalling a bit. The last story and this one feel like filler, though they do contribute a bit to character growth. But four months is a long wait before we get to some action.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Really, that's ballsy.

Did it foreshadow that impending crossover at all? It was probably a big fan wink by Ian Flynn, though.

Probably in part as a reaction to fans not digging the constant 4 part arcs, so they're changing things up a little.

15. Gatomon41

No, but likely they want to focus on the Mega Man anniversary instead.

My guess as well, though I think fans wanted more expansion of the story arcs.

But I prefer the current approach - Story Arcs shouldn't be any longer than 4-6 issues, otherwise it will feel like it's dragging out. Unless they decide to do several arcs to cover one game. They sort of did that in Spiritus Ex Machina and the Prototype issues.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I was tempted and picked up the comic today. I was really surprised to see

17. Tristan McClark

The cover art looks amazing! Megaman was part of my childhood (NES days), so I'll have to check out this backstory.

18. Gatomon41

Finished issue #21: "Countdown". Sadly, my local books store did not have the variant cover depicting Mega Man and Xander reenacting Dragon Ball Z. Pity.

Despite this title invoking another bad similarity named but unrelated series, Issue #21 is my favorite. The story was well done with decent characterization - notably Stern, Xander, Simone, and Theo. We get to learn about these secondary characters that flows and enhances the plot, like pieces of a puzzle. There's little touches here and there, visually and in dialogue, that gives these characters life.

Sidenote: Remember Simone? The Emerald-spear who looked tough and awesome?

Mega Man isn't left out - the battle that pits him and Xander is action packed and dramatic. It's raw energy, symbolic not of Man vs. Machine but of Human vs. Insanity. It's the best battle in the series, helped that the story take full use of all 40 or so pages, devoting enough for build up and climax.

The comic does go back to the question: What makes a human, human? In the build up, we do get some mention of human qualities, both good and bad. While it's not given much depth, that's for the better. It's a comic after all - it's not an essay on philosophy. All too often people try to discuss about such subject matter instead of implying. Showing leaves the reader to think. Telling just leaves a story a mess.

This issue with the previous is basically been one huge party. Both were filled with a sense of energy, celebrating several milestones - The 25th Anniversary of the games, the 21st issue mark, and the beginning of another year. Makes one feel good to be reading this comic! :)

19. Gatomon41

While recovering from whatever I have, I got done with issue #22: "Cold Crush"

It's no surprise that this being a February issue, there's going to bit of St. Valentine's Day stuff going on - Ice Man leaves a big gift for Roll, Roll plays matchmaker, and Krantz provides fanservice. In fact, I'm surprised Dr. Light has a romantic life! The guy devotes himself to building robots - seeing him being sociable (and not wearing a lab coat!) is a shock.

What I didn't expect was a discourse into the nature of "love". The Dinner Date comes off as Plato's Symposium - with Dr. light and Gil debating, while Dr. Noel and Rosie drinking wine all the while. Gil takes off where he left off last issue - Can Robots Feel Love? If so, can they deal with the consequences? As expected, Stern is pessimistic about the issue.

This sequence is why I love this comic - it expands on the ideas mentioned in the games. It doesn't talk down to the audience, and it certainly doesn't use strawmen. It doesn't even provide an answer, leaving it to the reader to decide who is right. And to see Agent Gil quote Shakespeare certainly made my day :)

The Robot side of the story parallels the Dinner debate - We get to see how Roll, Tempo, Rock, and Ice Man (We'll call him Larry) react to the events affecting them. As newly created beings(?), they're still sorting out their emotions, and we get to see how they deal with romance (and other feelings).

Overall, I was enthralled with this issue.

20. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

Honestly MegaMan is probably one of my favorite books in my stack ATM, I really enjoyed the last issue #22 and am hoping the upcoming MM/STH crossover will help get more people into the book, if you ask me MegaMan deserves to pull much better sales numbers then it gets, its arguably much better then Archie's Sonic comic at this point *and I say that as someone who has religiously read STH & co for around 16 years now*

But yeah my love for this series keeps growing as it goes on, and I wish it the best! Heres hoping the upcoming crossover can get more people to fall in love with the book!

Also can't wait for issue #23!