1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Mega Man" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, May 12, 2011.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think there's an upcoming issue(s) where Dr. Wily stands trial. I think Mega Man is going to vouch for him and he'll get off. Then the Mega Man 3 adaptation arc after that or maybe the MM/MMX crossover.

2. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm aware of that, but I was looking to start a little discussion over whether anyone thinks that Wily's "redemption" will be an act, or do you think he'll make a genuine effort to turn around only to get caught up in his old habits?

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay, got it now. Yes, I think it's just an act. He's exploiting an opening to serve himself. Get exonerated while he tries to rebuild a power base. It's basically a lead up to a Mega Man 3 adaptation. I'm betting with what happened to Mega Man after he stopped Ra Moon, Dr. Light is already thinking about building Gamma to take up the role of peace keeper.

4. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

^^^I'll admit I can see it going either way, but as I said before, Mega Man's willingness to sacrifice himself to stop Ra Moon and to stick up for him would at least move him into humoring the idea. Basically I'm looking at it like an addict trying to kick a habit, but will eventually be too tempted to stay on the straight and narrow (Gamma being the temptation).

But another reason I see Wily at least being genuine despite the dishonesty on his part is due to the comic's depiction of him having some humanity and being appalled by needlessly killing (though I'll admit the first arc does show him to be reckless with his army).

Heck there's also his hatred towards Eggman for trying to off Dr. Light. Sure it the need for outclassing him justifies that, it wouldn't be out of place for him to be somewhat sentimental towards his old friend.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

#37 kicks off the MM/MMX crossover "Dawn of X" Flynn and Kaminski tease their plans.
    Archie officially announces Mega Man X crossover event - Destructoid

Those are some excellent points, Antiyonder. Maybe it is just the temptation of power.

6. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

I've haven't read the rest of the Arc, but it will be interesting to see if Wily really became a good guy. (spoilers for the games ahead)

7. Gatomon41

Alright, back from an Anime convention, and got the main Mega Man TPB :D

Ironically, I bought more American comics than I did manga 0_0

8. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

As someone whose been reading the Megaman books this has been rather surprising because with what Ian Flynn has been doing with the storylines... it's pretty clear he was nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowhere near wanting to go on a hiatus. Heck if anything seemed like he was ready for just an entire new set of arcs after Worlds Unite but... I'm guessing the book sales haven't been doing that well and Archie can't really afford to keep titles that don't get the numbers around. Even their own work. Maybe from also that blurb they're putting that "on hiatus" to try and get some other action titles going I don't know but that is still rather sad news. I've actually been quite enjoying the Archie run of Mega Man we've been getting and likely the adapations of the old games and the various character and story bit Flynn's been doing with the titles. It's a shame it's supposedly coming to an end now but I guess if it's not outright cancelled it could still come back. I mean I guess "going on hiatus" could be the nice way of saying it but considering they've said they've cancelled other titles before it could just be a temporary thing. Who knows? Well if there's something else interesting worth coming up with the Archie Action line I'll try getting it especially if Flynn has a hand in it. Till then farewell Megman. Well obviously not now but you get what I mean.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a bummer. I was super behind on the series. It is a hiatus so maybe they're going to change the format like 4 issue mini-series or come back with a ongoing series Volume 2?

11. Gatomon41

12. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

You know I was talking to my local comic book store guy about this and he's surprised and said if it's going on hiatus it's not because of lack of sales since apparently the Mega Man book seems to sell pretty well there. I know it's just one comic book store but on a well-known Archie Sonic forum some posters are saying there are internal money issues within Archie that is forcing them to make some cutbacks here and there. Also Archie did flat out cancel Sonic Boom at the same time and when I mentioned this on my twitter Archie Comics actually responded they still had plans for Mega Man.

In the end something may be up and it seems like Archie's PR team is scrambling to work something out...or it could be possible it's all Capcom's fault.

• Like Like x 1