1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Mega Man" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, May 12, 2011.

1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Hopefully, though one wonders how Sonic (who has been fighting Robots since his childhood) and Mega Man (who is a Robot) is going to get along.

Speaking of which, I wonder how they're going to integrate the Crossover with the buildup to Wiley's story so far.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm guessing one issue is going to get eaten up with them just fighting each other after they first meet.

Yeah, I'm wondering what's up with Ra Moon.

3. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Thanks to Comixology I'm all caught up now :D

I absolutely LOVE this seri! It's just freakin' fantastic! It makes me feel like a kid again! It's fun, it's got action, excitement and loveable characters! Proto Man's story was incredibly moving! And I'm digging Tempo/Quake Woman, I hope we keep seeing more of her. Really loving how they keep putting in set ups for the future game stories.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Mega Man #24 kicks off the Sonic the Hedgehog / Mega Man Crossover today...what do you all think of it?

[​IMG]

5. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Issue 24 was awesome :D
    We get to see Megaman and Sonic fight and Dr.Eggman and Dr.Wily working together

6. Gatomon41

My local bookstore doesn't have it until tomorrow, so I'll provide some comments on issue #23:

A decent issue, were the whole city celebrates Blue's Birthday with more celebrations, even renaming the city after the hero. However, Breakman shows up, and decides to crash the party. The issue lacks the philosophical discourse of the previous issue, and the build up seems lacking. However, the highlight of this one is the fight between Mega and Breakman. Without saying one word, through visuals alone, we know what Breakman feels - good use of of the medium to show what's going on. And I think this is the first time

A few other thoughts:

• At first, I was a bit irked that they re-named the city Mega City. It just sounded cheesy... and then I remembered Judge Dredd, and now the name sounds awesome!
    • I really don't think Mega Man deserves to have a city named after him. Yes, he has saved the city several times, and stopped several criminals. But at most, that get's a street named after the hero. It just seems too much.
    • There's some sort of weird hatching on page 8 that's really distracting. It's a spot on a white background with smoke coming out behind it. I know it was supposed to be were some blaster fire occurred. However, it doesn't look like part of the stage (otherwise the smoke wouldn't obscured by the hatching, or a hole. It's like they forgot to put something there, or a piece of Leliel from Neon Genesis Evangelion got into the picture.

7. Gatomon41

Done with #24! My thoughts:

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Sniper Joe was one of the regular enemies encountered in the Mega Man and Mega Man X (I think) series of games. The Joes were sort of mass produced versions of Proto Man.

9. Gatomon41

Sonic / Mega Man: Worlds Collide

Got done with the Worlds Collide review last week. At first, I wanted to do a issue by issue review, but the fast pace of the releases and real life prevented that. So I did a two part overview, the first already posted on the "Sonic" comic thread.

A Brief Review of Worlds Collide - Mega Man Edition

Worlds Collide is an impressive feat - a crossover with two of gaming's icons, spanning a year's worth of issues. Once the Blue Blur and Super-fighting robot meet, they hit the ground running and never stop.

For Game Fans

Mega Man has been fortunate in regards to the Archie comic. Unlike Sonic, the MM comic stays close to the game's material. Though the series has introduced a few original characters, the comic's main cast isn't different from it's source. It's less of a barrier for fans who never read the comic to jump into the crossover.

The Crossover also seems to be a celebration of the franchise's anniversary. From what I can gather from the news, fans are disappointed by the lack of a new game. The comic was already did a tribute in Issue #20, but its nice that someone was trying to expand the festivities.

Since the main comic is going in chronological order, it still has yet to debut many characters from the games. So far only the first and second game have been adapted, and still working towards Mega Man III. World's Collide allows for characters such as Bass, Treble, Duo, the Mega Man Killers, Tango, Beat, and Eddie to appear.

The Art

As usual with both Sonic and Mega Man comics, the artwork is well done for the crossover. The settings invoke the different games involved, in design and coloring. Mega Man looks natural even in a Sonic setting, and Sonic doesn't stand out in Mega Man's world.

Probably the only issue is that the comic seems to switch pencilers or artists mid-way. There's a subtle difference in the art from previous issues. It's not very jarring, but Sonic looks a bit more in the style of the Sonic comics than his typical design.

Disproportionate Heroism

The only major problem I have with the crossover is that the Sonic characters are more prevalent than the Mega Man characters. Of the good guy main cast, Rock, Protoman, Rush, and Dr. Light play major roles. Sonic's pals are more numerous and seem to get more page time.

Of course, the problem may be that, well, 99% of MM's characters are either enemies or former enemies. And most (as far as I tell) don't get much character development. Still, I would perfected to see more of the MM characters like Roll or Light's Robot Masters do more.

And as if to make up for this, the Mega Man characters have a large share of the awesome moments.
    In addition, the Mega Man antagonists do make up most of the bad guys. Save for Eggman and Metal Sonic, Wily's robots make up most of the foes our heroes must deal with.

Twice the Evil, Twice the Fun!

While Rock and Sonic friendship plays an important role, its Drs. Wily and Eggman steal the show. Both delight in their combined, over the top villainy. It's so hammy, that the comic is almost as much about them than our heroes.

However, there is one major difference that does play a role in the comic. That is, Eggman being a brutal monster. Wily may start wars for petty and personal gain, but he has some ethics. Comic book Eggman, despite his behavior, can channel menace in a second. Part of the tragedy of story comes from this difference.

For Everlasting Peace

Overall, I enjoyed the Crossover. Despite not having as much presence as the Sonic characters, the Mega Man characters seem to make up for it in their actions. Rock, Blues, and Dr. Light roles seem much more significant with a smaller cast to develop. The interactions between the two series is fun, the plot develops into a massive epic, and the battles feel larger than life. Never before in a comic have I felt a sense of awe, or felt the impact of punches, of a climatic battle.

If you can, check out the trade paperbacks or copies. I recommend it.

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Is Roll (Mega Man's sister) ever going to recover?

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe, next year. :p Can't blame them for trying to spice things up by upping the stakes. But
    So there's that to go on.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Epic! Before X1? I'm on board for that. The Zero flashback X4, Cain's journal in the X1 manual, and even that reboot of MMX always had me interested in pre-X1 stories.

14. Gatomon41

This should prove interesting. I wonder how they're going to go about this, considering how dark X can get.

15. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I suppose the Curse of Ra Moon arc could be a sample of how they could go (mostly looking at the prelude in #28).

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That image with X, Cain, and Sigma staring at classic Mega Man's helmet is awesome :D.

I wonder though, if it's a sign of things to come. Maybe a small crossover with the Classic timeline and the X timeline?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, that's what I call a teaser!

From what I gather, yes. But first, it's a back up story in #34 and #35 that is set pre-X1 and then some time after a crossover event - but to what degree is unknown. I remember they used time travel to do a crossover in that cartoon once.

19. Gatomon41

Getting done with the Ra Moon arc. Alas, the last months were so busy I haven't had the time to talk about each issue. Hopefully I can do it again when the next arc begins.

20. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Incidentally, while it's obvious that Wily will go back to trying to take over the world, I'm almost convinced that he will make a genuine effort to turn over a new leaf. I mean going with game continuity, there's no reason to think otherwise. And even with his omitting the truth/lying, I imagine having Mega Man trying to stick up for him (plus seeming surprised that Mega Man would risk everything to save the world from Ra Moon) would be reason enough to want to attempt redemption.

Opinions.