"Mega Man" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, May 12, 2011.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

The return of the video game icon, now in his own comic book!

Mega Man #1

[​IMG]

Written by Ian Flynn
    Art by Patrick "spaz" Spaziante

'Let the Games Begin!' Part One. The future looks bright when brilliant and benevolent Dr. Light unveils his latest creations: the Robot Masters!

But when the nefarious Dr. Wily steals them for his own sinister purposes, there is no one left to stop him. No one - except Mega Man!

Don't miss the first issue of this brand new ongoing series based on Capcom's long-running and best-selling video game sensation!

Comments?!?

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

The Mega Man Network posted Part 1 of an interview with Archie Comics. Fingers crossed for Mega Man X in a couple years, mainly because I'd like to see their take on the continuity. I really enjoyed the Day of Sigma but it sorta tried to reboot some aspects of X. But I digress, good interview and looking forward to the rest.

And always, Archie Comics' Mega Man blog has some new entries every week. I didn't even recall Light Labs was located in the American Midwest. :cool:

3. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

The book is definitely a great read and the first issue really helps set up the plot of the Mega Man storyline. There are a couple of flaws though such as Neige's cameo and a hinting on the fact that the Mega Buster has a charge capability pre-Cossack arc but it's not a major detractor from the overall story.

Spaz's artwork is great and the easter eggs were pretty fun to find.

But the sheer highlight of the comic had to be the Short Circuits gag comic at the end drawn by Chad Thomas showing Rock as Bad Box Art Mega Man! LOL! :D

4. Sockie

Sockie New Member

Why? It was just a cameo, and nothing more. It doesn't mean Neige is around in the Classic era, or anything.

5. Dark Fact

Considering that Neige is supposed to exist further along in the future, her appearance at the beginning in 200X seems...off...unless it's an ancestor who happens to share her fashion style and love of reporting.

Just a minor nitpick though.

6. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

I'm not all that versed in the mythos but is 'Sniper Joe' one of the enemies you can encounter in the games or a reference to some other capcom property?? Or could it be foreshadowing for Protoman??

7. Sockie

Sockie New Member

A Sniper Joe is an enemy from the games.

8. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

So far the series is looking good. To me it has the same fun value of the Kaboom Disney titles, Young Justice, Love & Capes and Booster Gold.

Even better, the stories while we've read it before from the games' backstory feels fresh and suspenseful.

9. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Shine Like Rainbows

10. Dark Fact

Here are the covers for Issue #5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time Man confirmed! Oil man pending...

11. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

That was a good first issue. Good way to introduce the main plotline and Spaz's art is simply amazing.

Wonder when they're going to introduce Rush. He wasn't in MM1, but I suppose they're going to change several things.

12. Rynnec

Rynnec Active Member

Really? Think they'll introduce Bass and Protoman earlier as well?

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Awww, I knew it was too good to be true. Hook us in with Spaz then pull out the rug!! :p

Time Man. Wow, guess we'll see Oil Man soon.

14. Runaway

Runaway Web-Head

The inaugural issue was fantastic. For one, I'm really drawn in by the artwork. As expected, Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante did an excellent job. It also seems like Ian Flynn is doing his best to stick with original story, which I am ecstatic to see. I haven't subscribed to a comic series in years, but I am considering putting down the money for a year's worth of Mega Man just after reading the first issue.

15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I can see Proto Man being introduced early since he technically "existed" before MM3 (I think). I can see him being used simply for quick appearances giving Mega Man advice and such, though.

Bass, I don't know. He appears very late in the series but I suppose anything is possible.

16. Dark Fact

Blues/Proto Man can't reveal himself to Mega Man until the Gamma story arc. Until then, he'll most likely remain hidden and/or co-ordinate Wily's affairs in secret.

17. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

I finally found a store that stocked this comic and it was a pretty great read. It's sort of how I would imagine the back story to Mega Man 1 would be like. Just so I don't have to go through the process of hunting this comic, I'm going to subscribe to it.

18. Tommypezmaster

Tommypezmaster Active Member

I looked at one issue and I like how they drew Roll.

19. Dark Fact

Issue 2 preview pages will be up soon. Keep your eyes peeled. ;)

20. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

Well, it's a good thing I had my comic shop reserve this title for me, because they sold out of the 1st issue on the day it came in! I finally got around to reading my copy of Issue #1, and I have to say, this was a blast!

The artwork takes a little getting used to (it's so cartoony, even for a manga style comic, but it's also perfectly in line with the designs of the characters from the classic video game that I remember all those years ago). As for the story itself, it's an excellent set up for the plot of the first Mega Man video game. I really hope they spread this out, with each issue devoted to Mega Man battling through one level of the game (and going up against 1 Robot Master per issue). This is just a video game nostalgia lover's treat!

I understand that this first story arc ends with Issue #4, surely he won't have wrapped up the entire first video game in just four issues?!?