"Max Steel" News & Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by TheVileOne, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

So the new series has premiered on Disney XD. Three episodes were shown next week. Disney XD schedules on new episodes are sporadic at times, so not sure how they plan on releasing new episodes next week. I assume these three episodes were like the show pilot/miniseries and they are going to one episode a week next.

The new show was animated by Nerd Corps (Battle Force 5, Slugterra). So the animation is pretty solid for the most part.

Now I got to be honest, I never watched the old series or kept up with the toys and storyline or what have you. I only knew about in passing. The new series seems somewhat reminiscent of Generator Rex, except instead of Nanites its "Turbo Energy."

It's still not clear to me what the Elementors and the UltraLinks are. I guess the Elementors are aliens. The descriptions make it sound like Steel is an alien, though early on it sounded like he was a lab experiment.

I did like that Max's mom turned out to be a secret agent ninja. That was a nice surprise in the second episode. Having to watch Max constantly hide Steel and the steel suit he needs to wear would've gotten tiresome.

2. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

I've been following Nerd Corps animated since their early days with Dragon Booster on Jetix(yup...the very beginning).

With every new series, the cgi would ALWAYS upgrade and evolve. Better facial animations, character movement, etc. Always a rush to watch these guys grow as tv animators and story tellers.

Unfortunately, each series was plagued by the G-Weisman disease(only 2 seasons per series with TREMENDOUS cliffhanger endings!!!) Dragon Booster needed another season for the sidekicks ante upgrade in battle armor, but it never came to pass. StormHawks was to explore a completely new world/dimension but that never happened. BattleForce5 always showcased new enemies at the end of previous seasons, but S3 never materialized. Was the investment in said series worth it? Absolutely.

I was so eager to see N-Corps new action series, but SlugTerra felt like a letdown(visually). The budget just wasn't there, and it felt like a backtrack to Dragon Booster visuals....plus the western aspect just wasn't my taste. DVR'd most eps, so I'll still give ole ST a try.

Enter Max Steel. Animation blew me away....even better than BattleForce5!!! Loved original spy/agent Max Steel, and this one looks even better. The battlesuit, the gadgets, the voice acting, just awesome. That 2min official trailer on youtube was just friggen awesome. Glad to see NerdCorps is still top dawg :p

3. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 New Member

I haven't watched or even heard of the previous series, movies, toyline, or what have you. However, I enjoy this series a lot, and now that I know that this is the same guys' animation who worked on Storm Hawks and Battle Force 5, two shows I had no problem watching every once in a while that I was able to catch it, I have a feeling this show is definitely one that I'm going to tune in to watch.

Max is a very likeable character and the overall tone of the show, the other characters, Max Steel's origin and the story direction they are taking is very good, IMO. Plus they get the bonus points for being able to say the word "die" or "dead".

4. TheVileOne

The characters are very likable. Unfortunately since this is based on a Mattel toyline, the success or continuation of the series is likely dependent on how well the new toy series does here. And we've seen how that usually goes.

I like the designs of the villains and Elementors a lot. I think the show has a lot of potential, but I especially like that Max has a partner now in the form of Steel and they have a fun dynamic.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

I remember the original Max Steel cartoon, though it wasn't very memorable compared to everything else on at that time. When this new show got announced, I was willing to give it a try, especially since Nerd Corps is one of the best Canadian animation studios out there.
    Though the show started off pretty generic, even getting meta at times (specifically the bullying scene), it quickly became a fun show once Steel appeared. A fun wise-cracking sidekick done right. Though the show at times does feel like Generator Rex mixed with a little Blue Beetle, the show is a lot of fun, has likeable characters, has action mixed well with comedy, and really awesome fight scenes, so I'm definitely looking forward to more episodes.
    How long will this show last? Who can say (likely 2 seasons). I think the show's longevity will be determined by its popularity in the foreign market, as Max Steel has a strong established fanbase in some regions, and toys based on it already sell pretty well.

6. TheVileOne

Max Steel has actually been a big franchise for Mattel overseas especially in Latin America. And there has been a lot more animated movies based on Max Steel produced for the Latin American audience. This show is another attempt to try and bring it back to Western audiences again.

Now I forget, but I recall reading they made some sort of connection between Max Steel in the old animated show and the classic Big Jim toyline. I'm not sure if Big Jim is meant to be Max's father or something similar. I know the original toyline was inspired by Big Jim.

7. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

I like if so far, some of the things that I like is that N-Tek has a whole group of well trained well equipped soldiers to help in the field, so that means Max and Steel wont always be by themselves. And as others have pointed out I like that Max's mother is involved and the writers didn't do the whole hide from my parents thing, Iron Man Armored Adventures and Transformers Prime did this and it always bothered me.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

So THAT'S what's going on. I was wondering what he was doing back; the original never made much of a splash here.

Also, the original show was terrible. It too was CGI, but stiff-as-a-board and lifeless. You could say it was still the 90's, but Reboot worked wonders with the limited tech it had years before THAT.

9. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I was fan of original series when it air on Kids WB. Animation wasn't that good but storyline wise it was pretty good. I am somewhat surprised that Jefferson Smith (iun this series he a highly rank N-Tek agent) isn't playing the father figure for Max this time around. I wonder if Berto, who was Max's "hermano"( his bro/best friend) and Kat, who now looks like Rachel Leeds (Max former partner), roles in Max's life have also change? As for the 3 episodes I though they were entertaining and very interesting. Hope the series doesn't suffer the same fate that Motorcity and Tron.

10. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I have seen the old series, movies and not bad and with the new series it's an improvement tho i do wish the villains could act more serious like Van Kleiss from Generator Rex(which i can see him in this show). which it's also curious that the main villain Dreed is similar to Van Kleiss because 1 he knew Max's dad and 2nd he tries to absorb Max's energy to become stronger.

I see i'm not the only one feeling this show having a Generator Rex vibe in it but also the new series and the movies had the feeling of Captain Planet with the whole pollution and ecosystem but not playing too much like CP which it's good thing.

My only annoyance is that he says Turbo all the time when he transform into a Hulk like cyborg or when he flies and sometimes the friend but overall the show it's not bad and the design of the characters are amusing.

11. TheVileOne

Not sure anyone saw the latest episode, but I enjoyed it. Steel is a bit of a goofy lunatic and that's funny between hitting on a vending machine and acting like he hit a home run.

I'm not sure how Toxxon's plan was going to "clean" the world (turning polluting humans into zombies?), but he was insane and talks to a robotic fish.

12. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 New Member

I was able to catch it, and I can say I'm thoroughly enjoying this new series!

13. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

Liked todays episode, Toxxon talking to the fish was funny, it's probably his only friend poor guy. Although I'm confused if it was actually talking or if Toxxon was only imagining it talking.

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I just saw the first four episodes on "Watch Disney XD" (website and mobile app which also has a live stream of the network itself), and I'm not so sure. I'm glad he doesn't have to keep his secret from his mom (who now runs THI), but I have to wonder how much his mom really knows; about Max, about N-Tek, about TURBO energy (ALL CAPS because "TURBO" is an acronym) and about this whole thing, and possibly what she's not even telling him. I mean, it's implied that they've moved several times. I even think the whole could involve his supposedly dead father. In fact, I'm calling it now: his father is actually still alive, and when Max finds out, a rift develops between them, with the best case scenario being that they make up, and everything is right again, and the worst being he either dies or Max otherwise loses him all over again, with an even worse case being that he's now a bad guy. Another possibility is that (spoilers just in case:)

In any case, this looks like a possible "lies my mother told me" setup. I do hope I'm proved wrong, though, and that we don't get a tragic ending (and that the show doesn't end with a cliffhanger, either, for that matter). This may come from the same company that gives us the Barbie movies (not Nerd Corps, but Mattel Entertainment*), but this is Max Steel we're talking about: a line of action figures about a superhero/secret agent character. I just hope this show doesn't end up going the predictable darker and edgier route. I also hope it will focus on the story instead of trying to show off its "realism" (including, but not limited to, focusing more on Max's home/school life as well as focusing more on how serious/dangerous the things he does are). IMHO, the last thing we need right now is another would-be deconstruction that tries to take itself too seriously. Furthermore, we all know that Max lives a "normal/ordinary" life when he's not fighting crime. We don't need to be reminded of it every single minute of every single episode (possible hyperbole, but you get the idea). Okay, so this didn't happen in the first four episodes, but I just hope it doesn't happen in the rest of the series. Also, I hope that ultimately, this show will focus on the solution rather than just the problem.

Oh yeah, in that one scene where Max first uses camouflage mode, I didn't think that one gag (you all know the one) was funny at all. It thought it was random and unnecessary.

*Beginning with "A Fashion Fairytale", Mattel Entertainment started calling itself "Barbie Entertainment" whenever they make (and release) Barbie movies. OTOH, for some reason after the credits, there was a logo for "Mattel Studios". I wonder if it's another name for Mattel Entertainment or two separate entities. I ask because Mattel now owns HIT Entertainment...

15. TheVileOne

I'm not sure on his whole backstory, but it sounded like Steel was some sort of race of alien technological beings and was the previous partner of Max's father. I recall that N-Tek found another ultralink at the start of the series, so are they link Steel's brothers and sisters? Not really sure.

Good episode this week. It was a nice little creative solution to throw Dread off Max's scent. Honestly though, I don't really see Farris' view. The danger will exist for Max's friends and loved ones regardless just by his being Max Steel and working for N-Tek. At least being Max Steel gives him some level anonymity despite still using his own name for his superhero handle. But he tried to follow Farris' rule by saving Butch and Sydney from the fire and all it did was give more attention to Butch and make Dread think Butch was Max Steel.

The benefit is now Dread and Naught aren't going to target his school anymore. But I think an attack on his school and classmates was inevitable at some point.

Also Mandouga, I wouldn't worry about this show going more of a dark, gritty, edgier route. It is an action show, but it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously between the antics of Berto and Steel. Nerd Corp.'s action shows have all tended to be more on the lighter side. Which is fine, not everything has to be like Young Justice in order to be considered good or quality IMHO.

16. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

Well Dredd is back, and he's going to be an tougher opponent after upgrading his body so Max can no longer overload him.

17. TheVileOne

Action was good this week. I liked how Steel and Max thought of an alternate strategy of fighting Dredd since fighting him head since he can absorb their energy was so dangerous.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

This is an needless nitpick but I noticed when Max did his dance in front of his girlfriend, it was the exact same dance they used for a character in a Monster High special, which like Max Steel, was also animated by Nerd Corps.
    I don't know how CG character models work, so reusing animation for two different character models is pretty intersting.

Regardless, this was a fun episode. I was not expecting Dredd to return so soon.

19. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

"Steelto" bromance
    favorite line "bomb has been disarmed barely"

20. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

I watched a repeat of the premier last week and this week's episode: I figured it was worth seeing if TZ is talking about this show and I'm quite glad it (we) is (are).

To contrast, it seems like in so far, I might be one of the only ones who followed the original story some what closely. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was one of my favorite shows while it was in premier, but it easily completely my "Saturday morning lineup" at the time when we also had Action Man and Beast Machines in premier (and still hoping for Reboot Season 3 to round out the "block" of great CGI series, though you did have to jump between KidsWB and FoxKIds).

The previous series had some good, solid concepts. The first season felt very much like they were rushing the stories while the second season felt a lot better in much the same way the Iron Man and Fantastic 4 90s series felt.

I'm honestly having some difficulty accepting this as a new Max Steel series, honestly. Since the contrast has been made with Generator Rex already, I may as well pull out that stop; Max Steel (2000) is to Max Steel (2013) as Inspector Gadget is to Generator Rex. That might be a little extreme though. Generator Rex may have been the spiritual successor to Inspector Gadget, but int hat series, they didn't make any attempt to keep names, places or organizations in tact as they did between Max Steel (2000) and Max Steel (2013). Really, the big differences in so far is in the original series, Max Steel was something of a super powered secret agent, but not to the extreme he is in the 2013 series. Beyond that, "Max McGarth" was "John McGarth" in the original series and a lot better attempts were made to keep his secret identity, well, secret. Also, there was *NO ALIENS* in the original.

To be clear, I am not necessarily harping on the series, I am mostly trying to give a run down on the most notable differences between the series being someone who's seen both.

Personally, I'm trying to reconcile the two series in my head and trying to decide if it made sense to alter Max Steel so much for the new series. By and large the main characters are mostly the same, but the mission of N-TEK and almost everything about Max Steel (and to a lesser degree Dread) are very, very, very different. It almost makes me wonder if it didn't make more sense to develop out whole new characters and organizations for a newly branded series more like what Man of Action did for Generator Rex or what Hasbro did for A.T.O.M.

I guess in fairness, the original Max Steel wasn't so well liked that altering the story and moving away from secret agents and adding in aliens isn't so horrible, but it just feels out of place.

I'm interested in continuing watching this series to see what it does but I can't escape the feeling of watching this series and go "This isn't Max Steel".