1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Masters of Animation

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Kitschensyngk, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

Discussion thread for Masters of Animation. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Just curious: how would one do an animation article for Jim Henson? I thought all he had was the Muppets.

I know there was Muppet Babies, but still...

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

His mention in that book notwithstanding, I'm not sure that there's a credible way for us to list Henson unless we're counting Animatronics. But that's basically advanced, mechanized puppets, and puppets of any sort acting in front of a live action camera does not an animation make. Heck, wasn't this why Wulin Warriors on Toonami was such a controversy?

Jim Henson rocks, I just can't think of a good argument for listing him. If anyone can, please make it. Was he even specifically involved with Muppet Babies beyond being responsible for creating the characters?

Henson *is* in the book though, so his listing shouldn't go anywhere.

3. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing an article for him any time soon.

I had the idea at the back of my head that he probably served as a producer or executive producer on Muppet Babies, the Fraggle Rock cartoon and Sesame Street (which we could make a case for adding, considering the amount of animation) - but we'd only really need to add him once we started getting into more obscure members of creative teams.

4. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Jim Henson originally started as a graphic artist. A few years ago, 4Kids developed a brand known as "Jim Henson Designs," which essentially distributes merchandise based on his original sketches.

Link: http://www.4kidsentertainmentinc.com/#properties/6/0

[​IMG]

5. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

I hadn't even heard of those. They look really cool. When 4kids releases something good, it figures that everyone just ignores it.

6. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Yeah, pretty much. 4Kids ended up releasing merely one set of toys. But they worked together with the Jim Henson Company to bring a new series to PBS this year called Pajanimals, so there's still good relations between the companies. I'd definitely like to see them release more of Henson's early works.

The Jim Henson Company is managed by Henson's children, in case anyone was wondering...

7. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

Yeah, yeah Old thread, I know, but I was just wondering; didn't some of Hensons stuff (Like Dark Crystal) utilize CGI?