"Mass Effect 3" Talkback

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by GWOtaku, Mar 6, 2012.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

There's a lot of people back on Earth dying while we gather our strength. They wonder if we're ever coming back. Friends, family, parents and children. This isn't their fight, but they're buying us time with their lives.
    _____

Each of you needs to be willing to die. Anything less, and you're already dead!
    -Commander Shepard

[​IMG]

Mass Effect 3

Platform: Playstation 3, X-Box 360, PC
    Developer: Bioware
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Release Date: March 6, 2012

Product Description (credit to Amazon.com):

Mass Effect 3 is a Role-playing Game (RPG) / Third-Person Shooter hybrid set in a Science Fiction universe. Mass Effect 3 is the third game in the popular Mass Effect series, and is rumored to be the final installment. In it players continue the adventures of Commander Shepard utilizing extreme character customization which is the hallmark feature of the series. Additional features include: the ability to import decisions from both of the previous games into the new game, ownership/play of previous games not required, customizable weapons, improved mobility and melee combat, many returning characters (if they were not killed off in previous imported games), an improved cover system that allows for more action and more.

The Final Chapter in the Mass Effect Trilogy

Not everyone will survive. An ancient alien race, known only as "Reapers," has launched an all-out invasion leaving nothing but a trail of destruction in their wake. Earth has been taken, the galaxy is on the verge of total annihilation, and you are the only one who can stop them. The price of failure is extinction. You are Commander Shepard, a character that you can forge in your own image. You determine how events will play out, which planets to explore, and whom to form alliances with as you rally a force to eliminate the Reaper threat once and for all. How you wage this war is completely up to you: go into combat with guns blazing or use cover to plan a more tactical assault. Utilize your squad to full effect or take a lone wolf approach. Rain death from a distance or go toe-to-toe with enemies using devastating melee attacks. Mass Effect 3 will react to each decision you make as you play through a truly unique experience of your own creation.

Key Game Features
    • A Rich, Branching Storyline - Experience a sci-fi epic with multiple endings determined by your choices and actions throughout the game
    • Massive in Scope - Battle on many worlds across the galaxy as you unite the ultimate force to take back the Earth before it's too late
    • Large-scale and Intelligent Enemies - Battle enormous enemies and take on a smarter type of foe that will consistently challenge your best combat tactics and put you on the edge of your seat
    • Unlock a Customizable Arsenal - Tailor each weapon with devastating upgrades including scopes, grips, barrels and dozens of other unique attachments. Each weapon boasts its own powerful impact and visual flair
    • Unleash Death from Afar or Go Toe-to-Toe - Customize your soldier and squad to engage the enemy on your terms. A huge variety of weapons, abilities and equipment allow you to combat the enemy in your preferred style of play.

Comments?

Seriously. This is Mass Effect. You want it. If you have a PS3 and haven't gotten in on this yet though, the 2nd game is only $20 now. I think you'll find it as worthwhile as I did.

Reviews are favorable as expected. As usual you can find a good collection of them on metacritic's page (it's scoring 94 so far, for those who care).

Fans and the uninitiated alike may also get a lot out of this great article. It's got a debatable title ("Why Mass Effect is the Most Important Science Fiction Universe of Our Generation") but even if you don't agree with that, it's a good overview of many positive elements in the whole Mass Effect saga.

2. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I'm enjoying it so far, although my Shepard's hair didn't import correctly. It seems to be far more action-oriented than its predecessors, and most conversations only give you two options, but I'll make due.

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Really, really hating "Origin" right now!

I want to play the bloody game I purchased.

4. The Huntsman

Insanity is brutal this time around. Didn't have much trouble in the first two games. I must have died two dozen times during the DLC mission. The only thing that I really dislike is that discussions on the Normandy are handled more like Zaeed and Kasumi. You talk to your crew, they'll say some lines, and then they say nothing. Only a few of them had dialogue wheels and they were brief. I also haven't been able to talk to EDI on the ship. The terminals that she appeared on in Mass Effect 2 are no longer there and there isn't anything in her core room to interact with. Kind of disappointing that I couldn't even talk to her.

5. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

And the Normandy itself is..dark. Seriously, it's ridiculously dark this time. I think it's possibly even gloomier than the SR1. And I hate what they did to the Command Deck's layout.

Also disappointed to see the robot dog I got with the Collector's Edition just wonders around the shuttlebay. I was expecting it'd follow you around like that Varren in ME2.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I've only just started on it really. I could use advice on beating the shield guys. Kinda sad that Liara can levitate them while my Pull ability can't. BOOOOOOO!

I'm kinda weirded out by Vega having an...armor ability? A thing that boosts melee? Not really inclined to rely on that in a game where just about everything shoots.

Cerberus has infiltrated this base on Mars and Ashley wants a "straight answer" on whether I know anything about it. Sigh. The "get over it" answer in regard to the Cerberus alliance was more than a little tempting, though Paragon Shep shames her well enough in that exchange.

Seriously Ash, give Shepard a little credit.....

7. The Huntsman

I just shoot their feet. It takes a bit longer, but it gets the job done.

8. Anyone00

It's rather easy as an Infiltrator (yes, I realize your character is a biotic class): snipe the other guys, tactical cloak, flank, and then empty a thermal clip's worth of SMG ammo into the back or side of their head at close range. The disruptor rounds keep them nice and stun-locked at that range.

9. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Anyone else getting the two glitches on the Citadel? One is the side mission with the Spectre and Kasumi where the terminal prompts don't show up. The other more aggravating one is the Citadel holding docks you can't go there it just freezes during the loading screens.

10. TheGunheart

One thing that kind of bugs me is how she never questions any other the other members of the Normandy crew. It's all focused entirely on Shepard.

As for the shield guys, as a Vanguard I tend to hit them with Shockwave, which makes them stagger and opens up their defense for my shotgun.

11. The Huntsman

I haven't had any problems with those, but the "Inspirational Stories" side-mission is bugged on me. You're supposed to take three pictures of refugees. I took two and then the other photo opportunities vanished. I can't turn it in and nothing I do makes the photo opportunities come back. I can only hope it doesn't prevent me from getting the best ending and/or an achievement. Without multiplayer, I'm going to need all of the war assets I can get.

12. Anyone00

I discovered something about the shield-guys last night: there's a slit in their shield they look out of; turns out you can shoot right through it. You likely aren't carrying a sniper rifle so try a scoped heavy pistol.
    It's actually rather amusing watching these guy move forward towards you thinking they're safe: then their heads' explode.

I also found you can do massive damage to turrets if you shoot strait down their barrel.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Bioware's writing is the same as ever. Highlights on that so far:

1. Well I guessed it and now I'd say it's confirmed, Shepard's psychology is definitely a plot point. There's this bad dream about the kid you can't save on Earth, which Shep talks about with Liara a bit. It's not a graphic nightmare but it's moody and bleak and definitely communicating Shep's sense of impotence. I'd say the slow-motion effect that occurs after that Cerberus agent hurts Ashley/Kaidan on Mars factors in too (that or they just wanted to trump up the sense of danger with her dashing over to kill you). Engage James Vega on the Normandy and their first conversation revolves around this theme of sacrifice and hard choices if you let it play out a bit.

2. Khalisah al-Jilani. Yes, the annoying reporter from the first two games. Is she three for three? Well, yes and no.

14. The Huntsman

They said that you could get the best ending through single player alone. You need 4,000 Effective Military Strength to get it, or 5,000 if you don't do something later on in the game. Well, I did everything - to my knowledge - except for that glitched assignment and I only have 3,575 Effective Military Strength.

I'm going to hope that the cavalry comes in and I get a big bonus right before the end, but as I'm typing this, I'm right before the end. About to head back to earth for the final showdown.

They really shouldn't have tied the main story into multiplayer at all. Way to penalize me, BioWare.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Make a fresh save just in case I'd say. Scanning may make the difference, but I sure wouldn't know yet.

16. The Huntsman

I've scanned everywhere. 100% across the board, although a few systems don't appear to have any hidden war assets. I've walked across the citadel numerous times looking for side missions and so forth, and I've done all of the ones that I could find. Some of them were kind of hidden.

I was the best diplomat I could be, getting all of the fleets to support me except for what I mentioned in the spoiler tag. Even then, they offered marginal support despite that. I'm just going to play through the game and see what happens. Maybe I did miss something. I would prefer that I did.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

The renegade option is funny as well as they did something else, which I suspected they might do just a second before it happened.

I laughed:D

18. The Huntsman

I just beat the game. The ending was powerful, but a bit silly. Major spoilers in the spoiler box.

I also didn't get the bonus scene involved in the "best" ending. It would seem that I'm not the only one who wasn't able to get enough military strength through single player.

19. TheGunheart

I hope they release some sort of DLC that could fix the issue. Because it is going to suck when the online community for the game dies.

20. TacoHunter

TacoHunter Master of None

Yeah, sadly, I've been hearing you can't get the best ending without multiplayer. I assume once they release all the DLC then you'll be able to hit max military readiness without online play.

I've been hearing a lot of good things from professional reviewers, but I'm been hearing a lot of negative things from fans. I actually have a very bias view on EA, so I can easily believe the criticisms. I won't be picking up the game until a price drop, so I'm wondering what you guys think? Worth the wait?