Marvel's Spider-Man "Venom" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 21, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man today at 7:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Venom"
    Episode Debut - October 21st, 2017

The symbiote has escaped the Avengers Compound and attached itself to a new host. Now Spidey must find out how to beat it and who the new person is underneath.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed how they handed the mystery of who was bonded with the symbiote and everything. Sure, the audience saw the foreshadowing but I liked seeing Peter go through the process of figuring it out.
    Speaking of mystery, the hidden MJ face is a cute touch. I wonder if they'll play around with that like they did in the original comics. The circumstances are different but it could still be fun. I really can't picture her as a mascot but it did allow for a hidden face and a nice reversal of one of her old catchphrases. Flash has been a character I've always had an inexplicable liking for and I liked him here as well. I just hope they hold off on trying to make him a hero or anything for at least a season. All in all, I thought this was an enjoyable 22 minutes.

It was also noticeable that a Bugle site was being damaged during a battle this time. Will we ever see a furious JJJ explode onto the scene?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 Rick Jones, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

Mary Jane appears in the episode as a Mascot??

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, she is in the mascot suit.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Better yet she was a Tiger which was funny.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

It sure was! :lol:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Usually the build-up to Venom is this season long-arc that culminates in a big and personal debut as Venom comes directly after Spider-Man. We did not really get that here, but this take on Venom was a bit of a departure from the traditional Eddie Brock version given it was more about Peter discovering who was behind the feral beast and less about a villain with a personal vendetta against Spider-Man (not too unlike Venom in Ultimate Spider-Man) :evil:.

That being said, I thought this was still a pretty solid take on a first encounter between Spidey and Venom, and the mystery angle was an interesting wrinkle since we usually only get that with the Goblins. And, of course, we still got to see Spidey getting thrashed pretty soundly by Venom, which is always fun to watch :cool:.

I wonder if they had Flash end up as Venom in this episode as a nod to the comics and because Ben Diskin was voicing him? Or was the entire reason they cast Diskin as Flash was so he would get to play Venom again? Although I didn't really get the sense that the show was portraying Flash as their definitive Venom since the Symbiote itself was more the true Venom then Flash was, especially once it latched onto the other players :eek:.

Although I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get a "We are Venom" in this episode :sad:.

I'm surprised they kept that Peter's Spider-Sense can't detect the Symbiote but didn't have the Symbiote give it's host the knowledge of Spider-Man's identity that it usually does. But, again, this was not classic Venom we were dealing with :shrug:.

I wonder what the future of the Symbiote is on this show. We know the Guardians are going to come in and deal with it, but so far it hasn't really attached itself to a permanent host and it doesn't look like Flash will be rushing to wear it again to become Agent Venom nor does he seem to have the skills to control it. It makes me curious to see if they might actually bring in Brock as someone who can actually bond with and control the Symbiote so we can finally get a proper Venom :ack:?

"Kevin Wyatt?" I wonder by the end how many characters named after writers/producers this show will have in it's cast of characters :p?

How much Daily Bugle property does Spidey have to destroy before J. Jonah Jameson comes after him :mad:?

Once again, no Miles in sight. The worst part is that Peter actually name-drops him and his powers, so we know he's around, and yet he never thinks to call Miles for backup in fighting Venom who he clearly was having trouble taking on solo. Not that I wanted to see Peter saddled with another Spider-Hero as he took on Venom but it just didn't really make any sense :rolleyes:.

Was that Sean Schemmel (AKA Goku) as Peter's old Midtown High teacher? Kind of an odd choice for what seems to be a small, one-shot, role even if he did help contain the Symbiote...

You almost kind of have to feel bad for Midtown that Horizon essentially stole their star student, especially since it doesn't seem like anyone's been able to replace Peter there. I don't blame the teacher for wanting Max to steer clear of Midtown so he doesn't nab more students :oops:.

I was not expecting Mary Jane's appearance at the football game, which was a very nice surprise. Not only that, she's the Midtown High mascot who is, fittingly enough, a tiger. Peter even said "Go get 'em Tiger" once he learned it was her :D.

So it definitely seems like they're still building up to Mary Jane's proper debut since we didn't get to see her outside the mascot costume, which I imagine is going to lead to a surprise for Peter as he learns the person under that costume was really a beautiful and attractive girl :anime:.

We also at least got some sense of her character as she helped lead the other kids in blowing the horns to help Spidey stop Venom, which shows she's pretty brave for a teenager :proud:.

It seemed like Peter knows who she is, so I'm guessing he must have heard about Anna Watson's niece from Aunt May. Although maybe they actually know each other prior to this show? Because it would be kind of odd for them to have attended the same school and not know each other unless MJ transferred into Midtown after Peter left for Horizon o_O.

Was Liz one of the cheerleaders at the game? It's sometimes hard to recognize certain characters on this show :confused:.

Only in this series could Flash Thompson, of all people, actually come up with a scientific plan to help stop the bad guys :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

Surprised to see Sean in a Marvel Property now. Something tells me he'll get a larger role as Eddie Brock or something.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Cool tidbit is that this episode's production number is 115, so this is basically the 15th episode this season, and the first reference to Mary Jane in Spider-Man was Amazing Spider-Man #15 :D.

It's like how the Symbiote's codename as the V-252 references the first appearance of the Black Costume in Amazing Spider-Man #252 ;).

• Like Like x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wondered that myself. When Flash first mentioned MJ, I thought she was probably one of the cheerleaders. I later thought that Liz probably was, though we saw or heard nothing that would indicate that. It would make sense though. Either way, it was nice to have the action at Midtown instead of Horizon or Osborn for a change.

Maybe Miles is off having his own adventures or something while this stuff is happening. I can't say I've missed seeing him involved in the action but it doesn't make too much sense that he'd miss out so much. I guess it helps that so many of these events are spur of the moment. I think back to a show like BTAS, where they had the excuse of Dick being at college and being away from a lot of the action.

This was a episode where I sat back and really noticed how much of a gabber Peter can be. He never stops talking lol.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

Yeah, that was another decent episode. I would have preferred the more intelligent, stalker Venom, but the more Ultimate monster-y one is cool too, I guess. It just feltt kinda weird that Venom's first appearance was basically just another weekly bad guy for Spidey to go after. I feel like Venom, being one of the "big three" in the Spidey rogues gallery, deserved a more epic introduction.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

Who are the other 2? Doc Ock and Norman?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep.

They are pretty much the trifecta of Spider-Man's biggest villains :evil:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

Yep.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

Just making sure. Spidey has quite the notable Rogues Gallery, and I often get this stuff confused.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

I'm glad Doc Ock is getting a big two part episode to become his villainous self. I'm also glad that the last few episodes have been more standalone. Norman Osborn's evil scheming and the counter schemes of Jackal and Smythe were becoming kinda confusing. Taking a break from that stuff for a few weeks was a smart move.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DoubleDango

DoubleDango New Member

The fact the symbiote seems to completely posses its victims in this episode confuses me. I mean, Peter's experience with the stuff in this series indicates its negative effects are a gradual effect that starts to overpower ones basic instincts after prolonged exposure. I get the symbiote was probably a little grumpy after losing Pete, but in my book, that doesn't really explain why it would be able to take over Flash instantly, to the point he's never once aware that he has it. In other continuities, the suit often is able to subconciously communicate with its host, enabling its negative desires and persuading he or she to act upon those negative impulses, and that seemed to be basically how the suit worked here in the episodes Peter Parker had it. I'm having trouble rationalizing why it (and a very small portion of the stuff at that), would be able to instantly override the subconciouses of Flash and the football player to the point they don't remember having it doesn't gel with its prior portrayals. Though I didn't like Carton USM's take on Venom, at least they were semi-consistent in the way it was portrayed (you can control it for a little bit, but eventually, it turns you into a rage-monster).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the symbiote needs a willing host to give it full power. That is what it lacked in this episode. If it finds someone that wants its power it will give that person its memories as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's kind of why I don't think we'll see Flash as Venom again.

I can't see him wanting to willingly put it on again after this and he obviously wasn't able to bond with it that well since it basically took him over.

20. Fett One

Fett One Jedi Hunter

That's actually pretty neat. I had no idea that V-252 was actually a comic reference, beyond the V standing for Venom.

I wonder if the MJ reference is intentional or purely a coincidence. That's one of those things that very few people would pick up on, especially with the episodes airing out of order.

• Agree Agree x 2