1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Ultimate Spider-Man" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 23, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Ultimate Spider-Man"
    Episode Debut - September 23rd, 2017

When Miles Morales is bitten by an experimental spider and gains spider powers, Spider-Man must teach him the responsibilities of being a superhero.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It looks as though they pulled in another Marvel Animation vet with Alex Desert as Jefferson Davis. It's interesting that only Rio was shown in Ultimate but they only use Jefferson here.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kaine23

kaine23 Gurren Brigade member

Already with ult spider-man?!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Geez, they aint wasting time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

Yeah, that was the weakest episode in a while. I liked certain bits of it, but Miles' origin was super rushed and the battle between the Slayers was as silly and melodramatic as could be. Overall, I think the idea of Miles playing Wally West to Peter's Barry Allen is fun, but I think we needed more time with Peter as a solo hero first. I would have saved Miles for season 2.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Admittedly, my ears perked up when Norman was talking about making an antidote for spider soldiers, and I groaned a little at the foreshadowing of the Spider Team. As decent as the last two seasons of USM, I don't really like seeing a full team of similarly powered superheroes. I like having the one guy with these weirdo powers fighting bizarre villains. I really hope this remains a solo show for the most part.

Anyways, up until now, Miles just seemed like a happy go lucky, nerdy kid but we really saw some recklessness on display here. I guess it's a sign of how young and immature he really is but it's a good thing Peter was there to try and rein him in. Traditionally, we see Miles' career start from the tragedy of Pete's death but I thought it was at least a little interesting to see this take. Miles in the comics was also a lot more cautious after he was bit as well. It took his dad's life being on the line to smarten him up but he's lucky that he didn't have to taste any real tragedy here. I'm guessing Uncle Prowler won't be his archenemy on this show either. I kind of wonder if it was done this way to avoid conflict with Miles' upcoming movie. I've never been a fan of Miles' dad in the original books. While I found him kind of unbearable, he did make for some good conflict so it's interesting to see him not hating Spider-Man though it would be hard to hate the guy you see saving your life. (Although Harry finds a way)

It's kind of funny that it was Norman pushing for a Spider Army in USM but he's working on combating one this time. Knowing how the Spiders came to be, he really should have someone going through the security footage to see if anything happened to cause them at his facilities. This explains why Spider Slayers were already a thing by the pilot but knowing what he knew, Norman really should have been more careful with the spiders.

Harry heard about Spencer wreaking havoc but it's interesting that he didn't hear about his dad causing his suspension from Horizon. It looks as though his opinion on Spidey hasn't changed much.

So I take it that Raymond has already tried his hand at cloning. I wonder what would happen if the Jackal was on the loose while he was locked up. Alistair seems to be a real opportunist, trying to use his dad to get ahead, then turning on him when it could get him that much further. Adding in his willingness to kill makes him one very cold blooded teenager.

You and me both. I know there's probably no reason in specifically using Miles if you aren't going down the hero path but it could have waited. I would have like seeing more of his character developed before this happened, along with more solo Spidey. It makes think of The Flash series (which this show reminds me of at times) and how they at least waited a season before making everybody and their mother some kind of superpowered personality.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #6 Rick Jones, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Something like Miles getting his powers should've warranted a two-parter, and should've waited to the season finale, but I enjoyed this episode regardless. Gwen and...the other girl now knowing about Miles having powers was surprising, so eventually both might find out that Peter's Spider-Man (granted Gwen's a given).

So the Jackal was in prison the whole time? Who's the doppelgänger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was pretty good though not as fun as some of the previous episodes. Miles getting spider-powers was inevitable, I suppose but I wasn't really in a hurry to see it happen. As much as I like the character I would have preferred more solo Spidey adventures for a while. Especially since this was supposed to be a back-to-basics Spidey show.

Spidey having to act as a mentor of sorts to Miles is a decent concept but it doesn't make much sense when he's still figuring things out himself at this point. Also, I get that Miles was excited about having powers, but some of the stuff he started doing and saying kind of made him look a little too dumb compared to how he was portrayed prior to all this. I liked the bit about wanting revenge on those bullies with Spidey stopping him, or the short talk with his dad who didn't recognize him.

I also liked the twist about the Smythes fighting each other, something I wasn't really expecting. The Osborn and Warren sub-plots are pretty intriguing. I know Jackal's take-down felt kind of anti-climatic a few episodes ago, but this will hopefully make up for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rewatching this since I missed the first few minutes.
    So Osborn was behind Harry getting kicked out out of school? How long was he planning to build his own school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't help but find it surreal that we have a teenage Spider-man who's been active for, at best, two months teaming-up with and mentoring another Spider-Person of a similar age to him. I know Marvel really wants to promote the other Spider-Heroes alongside Peter, but I still feel like they could have held off on them for a little while longer and give more time for Peter and his supporting cast to establish themselves before throwing in other Spider-Heroes :sad:.

I was wondering how they were going to expose Spencer as being behind the Spider-Slayer robots, but I didn't expect him to just break into OsCorp and basically announce it was him to a bunch of people. Not a very smart move Smythe :rolleyes:.

I guess if wasn't already clear enough, we finally get confirmation that Norman told Spencer to frame Harry so he'd get suspended from Horizon, with the obvious intention of forcing Harry to then attend Osborn Academy. Then he tells Spider-Man that the bomb is on a 2-minute timer instead of 1. What a guy, that Osborn :mad:.

"That guy's a menace!" Okay, does anyone else find it weird that we're 9 episodes into a Spider-Man cartoon and J. Jonah Jameson still hasn't shown up yet? Or is Harry going to be the only character who calls Spider-Man a menace with dubious reasoning :rolleyes2:?

So I guess all the spiders who bite our heroes are going to be color-coded to their future costumes...though I also thought it was cool that they gave the spider that bit Miles a specific name, and one that basically explained his electric powers. I wonder if they'll do the same for Gwen and Anya :)?

The show's version of Miles has always felt like a departure from the comics with his exuberant personality and super-smarts, but they really took it up a notch once he got his powers. The Miles in the comics would never be as aggressive and goofy about using his powers, not to mention being as flippant with his identity. I get that's partially so he'd have room to grow and allow for more of a mentor/protege dynamic with Peter, as odd as that sounds given how close they are in age, but it still feels off :shrug:.

I do kind of wonder how they're going to handle the whole issue of Miles' codename, since it would just be really weird to have him go by Spider-Man and then have him constantly teaming-up with Peter. Although anything is better then using Kid-Arachnid again :oops:.

It was cool seeing Miles' dad pop up and play a role in Miles' character development over the course of the episode. It was also kind of funny to see just him and not Miles' mom, since we just had Rio in Ultimate Spider-Man. Also makes me wonder if we're ever going to see any elaboration on Anya's parents, or what happened to Gwen's...

It must be so convenient for the Horizon High kids that they can just make instant Superhero costumes at school :p.

I love how they're so obvious about Anya and Gwen are eventually getting their own spider-powers with how enthusiastic they are about possibly getting them. Although I wonder if both are going to have to go through what Miles did to really understand what Spider-Man goes through and why he does what he does :ack:?

Well, of course the Avengers don't have secret identities Gwen. None of them have lives or know anyone outside their Superhero identities (well, I guess Falcon has his mom) :rolleyes:.

Lots of foreshadowing to Spider-Island with Warren's plan for a "Spider-Army" and Norman preparing to deal with that threat through the Spider-Slayers. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that plays out :D.

So there were 8 radioactive spiders in total? So that would mean, counting Peter, Miles, Gwen, and Anya, 4 more spiders for 4 more people. I could see one of them biting Cindy Moon/Silk, and I could also see them using a spider as a way of turning Mary Jane into a Superhero should she ever appear, but that still leaves two spiders o_O.

Alistair turning on his dad like that felt kind of sudden given how close they had seemed up to this point, but I guess Alistair cared more for the opportunities Osborn gave him then what Spencer offered (even if Spencer helped Alistair get where he is in the first place). I wonder if he's going to take it personally that Spider-Man got his dad arrested :eek:?

I guess the only natural evolution of the Spider-Slayers was to make them into giant robots...make that two giant robots for Spidey to tussle with :cool:.

It's kind of been a problem in the comics that Miles' Venom Blast is overpowered, but I don't think it's ever been strong enough to take down two giant robots. If they keep this up I'm going to start wondering why they don't just have Miles Venom Blast all the bad guys :sweat:.

It was nice to see Spidey finally catch Smythe (even if Miles ended up doing most of the work) given Spencer had been giving him trouble since day one :proud:.

Fitting to have the voice of Ultimate Fury voice the father of the Ultimate Spider-Man :anime:.

Rick Jones mentioned this, but I'm also guessing it's a clone Warren made of himself, so we've got one in prison and one orchestrating something on the outside.

The only question is which Warren is the original and which one is the clone?

He must have been planning it well in advance of the first episode, which makes sense since he seems pretty competitive with Max.

• Like Like x 3
    #10 Frontier, Sep 23, 2017
  11. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Highlight of the ep was finally another possible faction removed from Osborn
    with that Chameleon tease.

then come the clones and O'Hara.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, now that you mention it I guess the other Warren could be Chamelelon :eek:.

I was thinking about the Scarlet Spiders, but unless they're not clones of Peter in this continuity I'm not sure why they would need to be bitten by one of the spiders to get their powers o_O.

And Miguel would only work if one of those spiders lived to 2099 :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Does Miles view Peter in a similar way to Ganke now? It really is surreal seeing Spidey in a mentor role when he only just started himself. This is a different situation from Bluebird in Untold Tales as well.
    Harry and Anya totally get to be substitute JJJ and Flash.

God bless those 3D printers.

Have we seen any proof that Hawkeye doesn't actually have a family and a farm?

If I was Peter, I could be totally petty about that and not give him those web shooters. He'd probably just cook up some "better ones" with Anya and Gwen at school though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #13 Rick Jones, Sep 23, 2017
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now, in hindsight, I'm starting to see all the clues that the Raymond Warren Smythe was working with wasn't the one from before.

The big thing, obviously, was that he was somehow out of prison, and even Smythe mentioned that as being peculiar. If Warren had really broken out of prison you'd think it would've been on the news or someone in the main cast, especially Gwen, would've mentioned it.

Then there was the fact that he called Osborn a "traitor" when the other Warren generally seemed pretty amiable with Norman and just wanted a job from him. It's not like Norman was the one who got him arrested either.

Not to mention his focus on the spider experiments. When Norman brought it up to Warren during his interview, he didn't seem too worked up about it, but this version of Warren seems to be primarily motivated by continuing his experiments.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fett One

Fett One Jedi Hunter

It has been established in the comics that he can generate a blast powerful enough to do this but it's usually used as a last resort because the move completely drains him to the point of exhaustion.

While I liked Peter being a mentor to Miles I do agree with others that they should have kept Peter solo for the first season and bring in other spider themed heroes for season 2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I know he has a Mega Venom Blast, but it was a while before he learned how to do it and here he's doing it on his first day as a Superhero o_O.

Not to mention it didn't seem like he was all that tired out after using it :ack:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So when Warren showed up, I was annoyed since he had just been arrested, but the "Wait, he's still in jail?" scene salvaged that. Intriguing...

I generally liked Miles, but unfortunately, I found him to a be a bit annoying for most of the episode. I guess that was to show the maturity difference between him and Peter, but still. And yeah, this should have been a two-parter.

I feel like the mecha fight was a homage to Pacific Rim or something; one of the robots looked like Gypsy Danger. Anyway, the show loves it's family drama. First the Osborne family, and now the Smythes.

Gwen and Anya took the news pretty well...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I'm beginning to think they turned the good brother evil for the show to make it easier to distinguish between adult Miles and teenage Miles.

This guy did not kick his Spidey career with "What would Spidey do?", instead he jumped to "Let's not do what Spidey does."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

Just wait until he starts K.O.ing hell lords and junk.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider New Member

Miles character is a departure from the comics, he actually bothered to keep his identity secret.

But they had to change his personality because Miles and Peter would seem to similar. Also he doesnt have Ganke to bounce off on.

But I also agree this should have waited until season 2, Peter is still learning the ropes of being spiderman.

• Agree Agree x 1