1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Symbiotic Relationship" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 16, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man today at 7:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Symbiotic Relationship"
    Episode Debut - September 16th, 2017

When Spider-Man uses his new black costume, he discovers that there is great danger in his new power; and he must find a way to defeat a costume that wants to destroy him.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I like that we're getting some morally-grey antagonists in this series.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, this is definitely the shortest the Black Suit storyline has ever been. Spidey only gets the Symbiote in the last six minutes of the previous episode and midway here he already realizes it needs to come off :sweat:.

I know the storyline continues into the last episode, but it feels like they could've fleshed things out a little more, as previous cartoons have :sad:.

Even the criminals know Spider-Man has barely any idea what he's doing :p.

One of the benefits of a more Marvel Universe inspired Spider-Man show is that you can have Spidey take on foes he usually doesn't tussle with alongside his classic Rogues, like AIM here ;).

So was Norman behind Smythe and the Vulture from the beginning? All evidence points to it being the case, right down to Norman bailing Toomes out of prison so he could join Osborn Academy, but they seem unwilling to outright state it's the case :confused:.

I guess Norman didn't hire Black Cat to steal the V-252, since he didn't even know about it until Toomes told him it existed o_O.

If you thought Peter under the effect of the Symbiote was goofy in Spider-Man 3, wait until you see this version try talking to people with "cool" lingo and sunglasses :p.

I did like the show demonstrating that the Symbiote was making Spider-Man more aggressive and self-serving, and seeing Peter wrestle with the Symbiote across the streets of New York and his room was pretty cool :cool:.

Alistair becoming another Vulture was an interesting twist, though it was a little surprising seeing him take up the armor and work alongside the same guy who hurt his dad :mad:.

I think this is the first time Spider-Man has ever given Harry justifiable reasons for hating him on this show :ack:.

It was probably only a matter of time before Peter and Norman finally squared off. Now Peter knows Norman isn't exactly on the up-and-up and Norman is starting to become focused on destroying Spider-Man :eek:.

No offense, but I don't think Spidey getting blasted by the sonic screams of two Vulture's beats the iconography of him fighting the Symbiote in a bell tower :shrug:.

I'm surprised Peter didn't return the Symbiote as Spidey to shave off some of the blame, but I guess he wanted to take full responsibility for what happened and the consequences for it. Though it's also kind of unfair since he never intentionally grabbed the Symbiote in the first place :(.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

Eh, I actually didn't mind that at all. The idea that a dork like Peter would try to act "cool" as the suit is controlling him doesn't bother me. Spider-Man 3's problem was that they took it to the extreme and had long sequences of Peter acting like an idiot that were supposed to be played for laughs. This episode certainly showed Peter acting like a dweeb, but it didn't indulge in it and also showed him acting scary as Spider-Man, lashing out at Harry and roughing up goons and whatnot.

As far as black costume stories go, this wasn't as good as Spectacular or the 90s show. However, it was miles above Spider-Man 3 and whatever Ultimate did (I remember a lame joke about Venom mowing the lawn or something stupid like that). I do wish that Peter was a tad more threatening, though. That scene of him attacking Uncle ben's killer was chilling, and nothing in these three episodes ever matched that. I wanted to see the Black Suit take Peter back to that angry, vengeful place he started out in.

• Like Like x 5
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't really have a lot to say about this episode but it was good, for the most part. They did kind of rush through the symbiote story, but I think the episode still worked out pretty well and had some impact. They still showed how it affected both Peter and Spidey in everyday life and I guess they didn't want to drag this out for too long. It was great seeing Spidey interact more with Norman Osborn, who seems to be plotting something big (which shouldn't really be a surprise).

I also liked the return of Adrian Toomes (since he didn't really do that much in the series premiere), and Alastair Smythe becoming a second Vulture, which was a pretty surprising turn of events.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It looks as though Norman is building himself up to be this series' crime lord figure in a similar way to Kingpin in TAS or Tombstone in TSSM.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Yeah, it was really nice seeing A.I.M. in this episode even if it was for a short time. I remember first learning about them while watching the 90's Iron Man cartoon, Armored Adventures and Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Then my "research" continued on from there.

I agree, but I also thought that it was nice seeing something a little different than the usual Spidey uses the Bell tower to ged rid of the Symbiote cliche. Here, he still got it off by using sound waves, but it was basically the same thing, just a different method used. 10x10 get's you 100 while 5x20 get's you the same product. Same effect, just a different method. :p

Yeah, I noticed that too. We've seen Hammerhead, so I hope we also get to see not onlyTombstone and Kingpin, but also Silvermane and possibly the Maggia?

• Agree Agree x 2
    #7 SuperFan2024, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Norman is definitely the closest thing we have to an overarching villain right now, especially since most of the villains Spidey's fought so far can be tied back to him.

But so far he seems more concerned with corporate espionage and promoting Osborn Academy then controlling all the crime in New York.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider New Member

Lol at Max telling spiderman he's going to far, only to get kidnapped.

Spiderman punching himself while screaming No kinda came off corny.

Not sure it was smart for Osborn to show himself like that, now spiderman won't trust him as much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

So am I the only one who noticed that Spidey and Osborn captured the Symbiote in a Ghostbusters Ghost Trap?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty solid episode. The symbiote suit is almost over-powered here - but I guess that's just a bigger reason for Peter to want to keep it (at least at first).

Yeesh, villains never stay in jail for long. But seriously, who can blame Spidey for being suspicious? Vulture was literally flying around town wearing his supervillain suit!

Symbiote-influenced Peter is someone I would never want to hang out with. He, ironically, came across like a stereotypical jock.

The fight scene where Peter had to fight the symbiote was actually pretty interesting; I don't usually get to see action scenes where someone has to battle a thing that's literally hanging on to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

I guess bustin' makes them feel good.:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

One of my favorite episodes of the series. I felt that this episode touched on some relatively intense moments, even though it didn't fully deliver, imo. But I have to wonder if symbiote Spider Man is pretty much as powerful as your average competent Spidey, then how long will it take for Peter to grow out of his awkward stage in heroics. To that end I really enjoyed the continuity of the Wins/Loses tally chart.

I also liked how they portrayed the Symbiote in the Stark Expo episode. I like the idea of Pete's relationship with the V252 being that of a necessary evil/ steroid, that gets harder to put down with every use. Here's hoping when the goop shows up again, it bonds with Peter again before finding the Venom host. Only for the reason of showing us a Spidey who went too close to crossing the line, and giving us a better reflection of what type of monster Venom will be.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just remembered, but I think this is the first episode where we've seen the classic note Spidey leaves with the bad guys he webs up :D.
    Conversely, now Norman is starting to become focused on taking Spider-Man down :eek:.
    I think this was probably the most competent and effective we've seen this Spider-Man out in the field, and he reminded me a lot of Spec Spidey, though I feel like they're probably always going to downplay how effective Spider-Man is in the field to justify him needing a team or his supporting cast to back him up :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1