1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Stark Expo" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 16, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Stark Expo"
    Episode Debut - September 16th, 2017

After the terror of the symbiote, Spidey is off to the Stark Expo in his old costume. When Ghost hijacks the event, Spidey’s only chance to save lives is to unleash the symbiote.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

So these are definitely different versions of Tony Stark and Ghost, they aren't just pretending this is somehow canon with Avengers Assemble. Good.

I didn't like the Iron Man armor though, it was a little too overdesigned. Still, I thought the use of Tony Stark here was less invasive than in Ultimate Spider-Man, so I'm good with it.

I was happy Flash got his little moment at the end. I wonder if the symbiote mind-melding with him was just a nod to the comics or if they plan on making him this show's version of Venom.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

It wouldn't work even with Avengers loose continuity. It's in continuity with Ult Spiderman so it can't be in continuity with this series.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. General Mike

General Mike Member

I wouldn't mind seeing the Flash version of Venom, but I would like to see the Brock version first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not surprised that Iron Man is the first guest hero to show up on this show given the major connection between Spider-Man and Iron Man in the MCU, though thankfully that dynamic wasn't wholesale replicated here, and I thought this was a pretty fun team-up between Spidey and Iron Man and it was cool seeing Tony interact with Peter's supporting cast :).

I was happy that we got to finally see Tony in a new Iron Man armor, though with how over-designed it felt I was almost missing his Assemble armor :sweat:.

I wonder why Iron Man was so quick to blast first, ask questions later, with Spider-Man in this episode, on-top of constantly accusing him of working with the Ghost. It's not like Spidey has a reputation for being a menace or blamed for stuff like he does in the comics, unless his break-in at OsCorp was public knowledge o_O.

Mick Wingert once again reprises Tony Stark, and while he delivers a decent performance I still can't help but wish we had better for cartoon Iron Man then a guy doing a decent Tony Stark impression. I miss Pasdar :(.

It was fun seeing Peter fanboying over Tony both in-suit and out and how Tony reacted to a new, young, hero. I'm curious to see how they'll handle Peter's dynamic with the other Avengers he meets up with this season :anime:.

I love how Peter points out that Anya always greets him so brusquely :p.

Max has been such an upstanding and reasonable person in the past few episodes that it was interesting seeing him finally demonstrate some real flaws in his blind focus on experimenting with the Symbiote despite Peter's warnings :ack:.

It was cool seeing Ghost be the main villain of the episode, and even better having Jim Cummings reprising the role, and he proved a pretty effective threat for Spidey and Iron Man to take on together along with the rest of the cast. His redesign was also pretty scary, though it honestly made him look more like Taskmaster then Ghost :evil:.

See what happens when you rely too much on tech Spider-Man :rolleyes2:?

"Vulture Force?" So are they supposed to be the show's equivalent to the Vulturions? I wonder if one of them was Blackie Drago...

We're getting more build-up to the Green Goblin, with Norman believing Osborn Academy needs a superhuman representative like Horizon has Spider-Man and it being connected to Harry's tech. The only question is whether Norman will do it himself or mold Harry into the role :ack:?

"I can't get them off!" Man, is that probably going to feel ironic in the future :sweat:.

Kind of funny that right after swearing off the Symbiote we see Peter being forced to use it again to stop Ghost, though given the situation it seemed to be the only sensible course of action and it was pretty satisfying watching Spidey beat the tar out of Ghost and the Vulture Force like that :cool:.

Looks like they're definitely setting stuff up with Otto, with his tentacles finally making an appearance and Octavius focusing on connecting them neurally and Norman offering a position at Osborn Academy to fund his experiments after Max said no. Seems to be building up to Otto becoming Dr. Octopus :eek:.

The Symbiote latching onto Flash like it did Spidey does feel like foreshadowing Flash eventually becoming Venom, on-top of the fact that the show has been steadily increasing his screentime as if they were building him up for something and that he's voiced by a former Venom VA. Of course the latter just makes it seem too on-the-nose ;).

I'm not trying to make this a continuity thing, but I thought it was interesting to see Tony mention taking the Symbiote back to "Avengers Compound" rather then Avengers Tower or Avengers Mansion. I guess they probably used that base, despite it's blandness, because it's still the main Avengers headquarters in the movie :confused:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

This probably felt the most MCU of any of the animated Tonys to me. Generally, I like the MCU Tony, though I do view him as a jerk often, and I guess that's how I felt here. It was a little messed up how he initially treated Spidey though he at least warmed up to Spider-Man a little before he had to depend on him to save the day and his life. I dug both the Iron Man and Ghost designs. It's not a favorite or anything but it is nice to see something a little different. It's kind of surprising that we don't see a lot more designs. I just think back to the 90s series where he was changing his armor about 5 times an episode. It's kind of funny thinking about how brave all of the main kids are during chaos though I guess Peter wouldn't come across that way to anyone. It's also funny that no one has discovered his identity yet when there are so many hints out there.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked how they introduced Iron Man into this continuity and it didn't really feel that forced or like a real cross-over of sorts. It felt more natural (they have been alluding to the Stark Expo for a while now) and didn't make that many references to the other Avengers or anything. It still felt like a Spider-Man show.

Pretty nice seeing Peter so starstruck meeting Tony Stark. I kind of got the feeling Tony realized Peter was Spidey and he was just making fun of him with that autograph at the end. I'm sure the two will meet again later on, so hopefully that will be at least as entertaining as this episode was.

It was kind of weird yet predictable the two heroes would end up fighting during their first encounter. Plus having to fight an Iron Man armor controlled by someone else is also something that has been used on multiple other occasions. But those are kind of minor complaints.

Ghost was a decent villain and I liked how they even added a little backstory for him. Plus, it made more sense when Tony brought it up again to help Spidey break out from the symbiote's control. Pretty cool stuff.

I admit, Flash winning first place at the Expo was pretty funny. It will be interesting to see if they'll follow up on that brief scene with the symbiote connecting with him. Also, the Vulture Force was kind of interesting. I think I mentioned this before but I'd like to see a Spidey cartoon show use all the Vultures from the comics. They were unnamed here, but this was a pretty nice surprise.

The stuff between Norman and Harry is pretty intriguing and I suspect it won't be long until we see a Goblin on the show. Plus, they're also starting to foreshadow Doc Ock's transformation, that should be fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I loved the interaction between Norman and Tony no matter how short it was, loved seeing two large and not so well hidden egos clash. Max getting in on the ego game himself was a great and natural development as he had been working on this project for about 3 episodes already.

Ghost was a fun villain and felt natural. Spiderman is like Batman where he can take on any villain not from his Rouge's Gallery and not have it look odd. His redesign was great.

I wish this show would go slower. It's great but it needs to let things cook. I wasn't really too impressed by the Symbiote plot this show had but Spiderman using it to defeat Ghost led to some cool action scenes.

I've realized I have no problem with people helping Spiderman in fights as long as they're not talking about science every 5 seconds it's actually enjoyable.

Great episode overall!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I thought this episode was pretty good. I find it ironic that the episode that took place in a science convention, yet it had in my opinion, very little science babble. Especially Spidey/Peter's interactions with his science idol Tony/Iron Man.

Speaking of whom, I thought this take on Tony was refreshingly different from the AA version. Although his suit design wasn't the best, I think it helped set this version of tony apart. And I too, enjoyed his brief interaction with Norman (they could've milked much more out of it though). I'm glad they came of more as rivals in Tony's turf, than pushing a 'Norman is extremely jealous of Tony' angle, seeing how they are both very wealthy and successful scientist.

Toomes is also growing on me a bit, seeing how he has a life outside of the costume, and besides getting revenge on Max, he doesn't want to don his suit purely for the evuls.

I know the sybiote will return, I just hope that who ever becomes Venom (be it Flash or Eddy Brock, or even Gargan) has an established beef with Peter before becoming the host. Speaking of which, I really enjoyed Flash's appearance this episode. And I liked the gag that his simple volcano won, since I wasn't expecting it. I only wish we could have seen some of is schoolmates reaction to him winning a nation science award for Midtown High. As well as the noticably absent elder Smythe. Overall really enjoyable episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ya know, i find it a little odd how we got a Spider-Man cartoon that's not tied to the MCU but EMH got cancelled for Avengers Assemble.
    But this has been evident really early on, and I guess they don't want the cartoons to be all in one continuity, for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder, if Flash does become Venom, if Ben Diskin's Venom voice will be that much different compared to when he voiced Venom in Spectacular :)?

It must also be kind of fun for Keaton and Diskin to be on a Spider-Man show together again :D.

It has been a while since we've seen Spencer. I wonder if he didn't follow Alistair to Osborn Academy :confused:?

Well, to be fair, this cartoon does owe part of it's existence to an MCU Spider-Man movie coming out :p.

At this point the only real continuity in the Marvel cartoons are the VA's they carry over from show to show, like Mick Wingert as Iron Man and Jim Cummings as Ghost here.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was actually my favorite episode of the three today. Yes, I'm a sucker for superhero team-ups, but it was more than just that.

Iron Man was used much, much better here than in USM, where they always made him look inexplicably weak to make Spider-Man look better. Yeah, Spider-Man ended up having to save Tony in the climax, but it actually felt like a realistic scenario here.

I really like Max Modell here, but I was glad the writers showed him in a slightly negative light this time. IMO, it gets boring when cartoons give us the always angelic, one-dimensional father-figure.

The scene where Tony met with Norman was hilarious. Even Norman can't steal the spotlight from Tony. :p

The Ghost is still one of Marvel's more underrated villains, IMO, but he was used to good effect here (albeit, not as creepy as in Iron Man: AA). Controlling all the tech like that is a scary ability. Heck, him messing with Tony's reactor was really cruel.

Spidey goes back in black. Geez, he didn't even stay away for a whole episode. :p

Wow, who isn't Norman recruiting? Not that I blame Octavius, I guess.

I groaned when Flash ended up winning the competition...

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

You make a good point about Otto. I found it odd that the kindhearted Max was being so cold and blunt with the young scientist. Even though just last episode, he was sympathizing with Peter, who clearly crossed some moral lines with his "borrowing" of the V252. The writers may have been pressed for time or something, but I felt that Max failed to fully illustrate the possible threat of Otto's tentacles (even though anyone with an iota of Spider Man knowledge knows why). I hope they give Max's more time to explain his misgivings when by the time of Otto's inevitable and slightly justified deflection.

Also I wholeheartedly agree about Tony's guest appearance here compared to his appearance in USM. But I feel that your complaints could possibly be addressed towards most of the guest heroes on that show.

And Iron Man AA's Ghost is still by far my favorite villain on that show. So I enjoyed him here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder what The Avengers roster will look like on this show and how many other Avengers might see Spidey team-up with this season (Hulk has already been confirmed) o_O.

I imagine we'll probably see all the original movie Avengers, particularly given a few of them have their VA's as part of the main cast (Widow and Hulk) or have made a guest appearance (Thor) ;).

I hope future team-ups between Spidey and other Avengers are as fun as this one with Iron Man :anime:.

I guess part of the impetus for using Avengers Compound is that, like in Guardians, it gives them more freedom over which other heroes they can have show up, be they the movie Avengers (and Falcon) or the New Avengers :).

I also wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't resist a team-up between he Avengers and Team Spidey once the other Spider-Heroes turn-up :D.

I'm curious if part of the impetus for Osborn Academy having a "Vulture Force" is so that the other Spiders will have people to fight so Spider-Man can take on the Goblin mano-a-mano :cool:?

I think Max is a nice and reasonable guy but I also think he can be pretty blunt when it comes to doing what he feels he has to do.

Just look at how he handled Harry's suspension or refusing Warren's application for a teaching job. He was genial as possible but he was still pretty direct as far as turning them away.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Harry has a hot temper going on but when I see him doing things like saving Max, it's hard for me to imagine him going fully villainous somewhere down the line.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Harry is a good kid, though he tends to lose himself whenever Spider-Man becomes involved.

He also obviously wants to make his dad happy, so that definitely weighs a lot on the decisions he makes.

I'm really curious to see, between Norman and Harry, who the Goblin ends up being.

17. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

This is true.
    I guess when you live in a world where SCIENCE is a superpower in itself, such responsibilities would befall any good leader in the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

New rule: Anytime SCIENCE is typed in context to this show it must be bold and all caps lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How about that SCIENCE :p?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

SCIENCE is the new currency. lol

• Funny Funny x 2