Marvel's Spider-Man "Screwball Live" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 28, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

With Liz's mention of other heroes and Hammerhead's mention of The Owl, I wonder what the chances are that Daredevil could ever be referenced.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

Yes, I did notice the lack of Sandgirl. You'd think Hammerhead would want to keep the whole "father figure" routine going strong with someone as powerful as Sandgirl. Unless shes having her own off-screen story arc about facing her inner-demons.

Hammerhead knowing Liz's identity could be a good excuse to bring Screwball back. But then you'd have to deal with the fact that a big time crime boss knows the identity of a teenage side character/ minor hero, and her connection to Randy son of Robbie of the Daily Bugle. I'm sure that's a rabbit hole to deep for this show to go down. So, we probably just wave it off.

It is strange, now that I think about it, that Liz even had a rocket board to begin with seeing as this type of tech should still be advanced in this world. I guess I became desensitized by the Horizon and Oscorp kids and their SCIENCE. :) But we know this type f technology is far from impossible in this show's reality, even if it's still advanced. Maybe some genius made the original board and posted the schematics, or a "how to make" tutorial online.

It is also strange that Liz gets away without any clean (another thing I didn't notice) after racking up a few broken laws herself. And how neither Randy, nor Spiderman at least scold her on this at the end, especially given how Randy freaked out earlier when she pranked Robbie. But then again, this is a world where the police don't even bat an eyelash at a kid swinging on webs, or a guy flying through the city in a menacing weaponized bird suit, so long as they aren't stealing jewels or something,

How can they use the Daily Bugle as a major plotpoint is something I'm very curious about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I took her "other heroes" comment to mean The Avengers, though it would be interesting to see if there are other primarily street-level heroes working concurrently with Spider-Man :).

I'm also curious if we might see this show eventually do a Gang War storyline and who all might be in it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not a bad episode. Not a fan of Screwball, and this version of Absorbing Man was dumbed down to the point of parody, but I did think it had some important things to say about the state of "internet fame", and some of the smaller scenes (Peter and Gwen!) were handled well.

Cool to see Robbie again; I hope everyone is right that he becomes a bigger player later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope Liz retiring as Screwball doesn't mean we won't see her again in a sizeable role in the near future, though I wouldn't be surprised if her next major appearance is a "Screwball Returns" episode :rolleyes2:.

I also thought it was funny that Spidey now has means of dissolving his webbing, given how many times he's accidentally webbed people up and they've had to wait an hour for it to dissolve :p.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember thinking it seemed like a useful thing to have back when Gwen and company dissolved it themselves in Osborn Academy.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I really liked seeing Liz and Randy come back in this episode. It's actually nice to still see some Midtown High students. It was definitely cool to see Robbie and hopefully that does led to us finally seeing the Daily Bugle itself. I enjoyed Liz and Randy as friends as well.

Liz as Screwball was an interesting idea and I bought it for the most part. I'm glad the showrunners did something unique with her, even if her persona as Screwball was a bit of a leap from who she was in the first episode and the shorts. It is nice to see one of Dan Slott's villains, even if she wasn't a true villain in the show.

Peter and Gwen's conversation about Screwball at the Horizon High was pretty cute, but I'm wise enough not to think it will lead anywhere romantic. I do have to admit Miles' consistent absence since the Kraven episode feels very odd. Seems like they gave him spider powers way too soon. Otherwise, this was probably one of my favorite episodes. I really enjoyed the Venom episode as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've really enjoyed seeing Peter visit Midtown and hang out with his friends there in the past few episodes. I hope we can get more of that in the future :).
    I can't imagine all the Bugle property Spider-Man has destroyed and, now, seeing Robbie in the flesh isn't going to pay off at some point ;).

In fact, it might explain why the general public has been so accepting and welcoming of Spider-Man up to this point, because Jameson and the Bugle haven't come after him yet...
    She wasn't an out-and-out villain or criminal, especially compared to Screwball in the comics, though she did end up breaking a few laws that got glossed over at the end. I guess it pays to be friends with Spidey :sweat:.

I imagine any future Screwball appearances, if there are any, will probably still resolve around Spidey having to bail her out of jams she gets herself into :p.

I hope we do get to see more of Liz though, particularly out-of-costume. Maybe even develop her dynamic with Randy and Peter more (or see her interact with Harry and Flash) :anime:.
    I just don't really get why they'd have that moment with them in the episode if it wasn't going to lead anywhere, because it didn't really seem as platonic as they could have played it (especially with what Peter said to Gwen) o_O.
    I feel like there are definitely a lot of signs that they introduced Miles too early, such as Peter being barely established himself, it still being very early into the series, and now the fact that it almost feels like they've completely dropped Miles as another Spider-Hero after two episodes :ack:.

It makes me curious to see how the writers will handle things once Gwen and Anya get their powers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

Don't remind me:(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barbossa

Barbossa Active Member

The Peter and Gwen scene, as tame as it was, seemed dangerously close to breaking the no romance mandate. The writers want to write these kids as normal teenagers but are afraid to offend Marvel and their bizarre restrictions. It can't be easy for them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Is the no romance thing an actual rule said at the studio? Or is it something fans assumed?
    I’d it’s the former, it’s pretty dumb, but sort of understandable(?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Wacker on his tumblr said that, if not a concrete rule or hard mandate, romance is something they generally leave out or not deal with.

It seemed to have been the paradigm stretching back to Loeb and Man of Action with how USM handled Peter and Mary Jane right from the first episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #32 Frontier, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Spider-Man "Screwball Live"

Absorbing Man should totally be called Paper-Towel Man. I love him turning in Potato chips.

Hammerhead REALLY should have told Absorbing Man the whole plan and how important the flash drive was at the beginning.

Harry keeps having a harder and harder time justifying Screwball as the episode goes on.

Hawkeye shout-out.

Laughed at Absorbing Man thinking Hammerhead wanted to be partners when he really wanted to kidnap Screwball.

Gwen says there were a dozen files with scrambled titles, but there were more than that on the screen.

AM turning into webs was a good idea. And Spidey's wrong. Absorbing Man totally makes the tank top work.

Spidey's suit doesn't have pockets? Seems like a design flaw.

I love that Randy is excited Spider-Man reads his blog.

You've been Spider-Man-ned doesn't sound as good.

Everyone knows Liz Allan is class president. Yeah right. Worst excuse ever.

Good episode. ****.

• Like Like x 2