Marvel's Spider-Man "Screwball Live" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 28, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man today at 7:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Screwball Live"
    Episode Debut - October 28th, 2017

Spider-Man is targeted by a new costumed figure named Screwball for a series of online prank videos which block him from fighting crime.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I might have seen Screwball in the comics, if she was around during the early arcs of Brand New Day, but it's been so long ago that this felt like an introduction to this costumed identity. I'd see the name but I was thinking of Slapstick for some reason, so I really didn't know what to expect here, especially after being spoiled about who was under the helmet. It felt like familiar territory for Spider-Man in general, dealing with an attention seeker getting in the way, but I always enjoy seeing more of the Midtown kids. Absorbing Man has never been the sharpest bulb, but I thought he was a little too cartoony stupid, and it felt odd seeing him treated like a regular henchman by Hammerhead. I wish he came across a little more menacing.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think this would have worked better if we actually saw more of Liz Allan on the show prior to all this. It wasn't bad, but the Screwball persona was kind of random even though I admit they did offer a decent enough reasoning as to why she started doing all this. Her videos weren't that funny or interesting to me but they were harmless enough, I guess. I wonder if she'll ever use this identity again and if she's actually learned anything from this episode.

It was nice seeing more from Randy Robertson, and he was handled pretty well. I especially liked the introduction for his dad, and the "new media building". There have been a few Daily Bugle nods on the show, hopefully this will lead to something more substantial soon.

Absorbing Man was a decent adversary but I have to agree he was a little too dumb here. I like how they brought in Hammerhead again, though he's also somewhat disappoiting compared to how he's portrayed in other projects.

Other note-worthy bits include the short Peter & Gwen scene, and Absorbing Man mentioned Hawkeye. I imagine it's only a matter of time before Spidey meets him as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I've had Ghostbusters on my mind a lot lately, so I recognized Ernie Hudson instantly and I like that casting for Robbie. It will be interesting to see if they get a name for JJJ as well. We definitely have to see Hawkeye eventually, if they mention him by name.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

Apparently, Gregg Berger voices the Absorbing Man.

Funny I always thought he be a great fit for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad the show brought Liz back into focus (remember folks, she's technically responsible for Peter becoming Spider-Man), although the Screwball development felt pretty random :shrug:.

We saw nothing in her early appearance in episode 1 to indicate that she cared enough about social causes to create a costumed identity to get attention for them (to the point of breaking the law), let alone that she had a desire for all that attention to begin with, and now suddenly she's flying around on a rocket-powered skateboard? Feels like a pretty big jump :ack:.

How did she even modify that skateboard? They mentioned she's a straight-A student and Midtown's class president, but there's no indication that she's smart enough to create a teched-out skateboard like the Horizon kids probably could :confused:.

Although the whole rocket skateboard thing feels more like the Rocket Racer then Screwball, who's more of a parkour kind of girl, though the causing mischief for social media attention is definitely true to the comics :oops:.

And can we get anyone in Peter's teenage friends who doesn't inevitably get super-powers or end up in a costume? Now I'm half-expecting Randy to become the Prowler at some point :rolleyes2:.

That being said, I thought Liz as Screwball was pretty fun and Natalie Lander does a nice job of making Liz endearing and likeable even as she causes trouble for our hero :harley:.

Flash with a Spider-Man fan blog makes so much sense :anime:.

It was nice to see the Midtown High kids back in the spotlight, since they're Peter's more traditional supporting cast compared to the Horizon High gang (save Gwen), and it was nice to see Randy in a major role and see his relationship with Liz develop :).

Robbie! It was pretty awesome seeing Robbie in a Spider-Man cartoon again after all this time and promoting honest and integral journalism like he always does. And Ernie Hudson as Robbie is inspired casting :D.

I hope we see more of him as it seems the show is still building up to the Bugle playing a bigger role, with the construction of their new building, though we still haven't seen Jonah yet (but Robbie does allude to his editor). I hope we do get to see Robbie again and have him interact with both Peter and Randy :).

How should we read that scene between Peter and Gwen? I know Marvel cartoons have a no-romance policy, but the way they talked to each other and the look in their eyes seemed a little less platonic then I would've expected...

The Hawkeye mention was fun, though I wonder how long before we get another Avenger team-up :tom:?

It was neat to see Spidey go up against Absorbing Man rather then another Iron Man villain, and Gregg Berger did a solid job with Creel's traditional dumb thug persona. Though while this is probably the dumbest Creel has been portrayed in a Marvel cartoon in a while, I thought the show did a good job of finding cool and interesting ways to showcase his absorbing powers, and the way Spidey beat him was pretty awesome (if brutal) :cool:.

So Hammerhead still has metal in his skull but for some reason he just doesn't use it to ram people like he normally does? I like Hammerhead on this show, but it feels weird that he's relying on Supervillains as much as he has given Hammerhead can traditionally go toe-to-toe with Spidey :confused:.

Did Liz really just take off her mask in front of a known crime boss? On-top of Spidey just revealing her full name and that she attends Midtown High? I know they're probably expecting Hammerhead to stay in prison but that just seems like a really dumb and dangerous thing to do :eek:.

Shouldn't the police have arrested Liz alongside Hammerhead and Absorbing Man? I mean, she's not an out-and-out criminal, but Screwball stole that ribbon, hijacked the robot at the demonstration, and basically assaulted Robbie by dumping that sand on him. It feels weird to think she would be able to get off scott free for all that, even if she did come around at the end and decide to retire her costumed identity o_O.

Man, Peter just can't catch a break with Harry when it comes to Spider-Man :(.

Whoever they get for Jonah has to be someone who can stand on equal footing against Ernie Hudson as Robbie, which should be no easy feat...
    This is actually first time they've re-casted a Marvel Universe character with a different VA for this show, rather then have a normal role reprisal.

Jonathan Adams voiced Absorbing Man in both Agents of SMASH and Assemble.

• Like Like x 1
    #6 Frontier, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  7. uzair khan

uzair khan New Member

spiderman calling absorbing man a paper towel brand was pretty hilarious. i wass thinking about mr clean and then i thought about it some more and realized mr clean is a household cleaner not a paper towel. still clever

• Like Like x 2
  8. WebMasterSage

I like to see they bring Matthew Mercer for Hawkeye & JB Blanc as J. Jonah Jameson, since he ironically voiced a character that Resembled him on Lego Scooby Doo once.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they're gonna bring back Troy Baker and JK Simmons.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Baker's already on the show as Kraven so I can't see why they wouldn't bring him back for a Hawkeye guest spot ;).

I'm not sure if they'll be able to bring Simmons back since he evidentially dropped out of USM season 4. Though I woulld kill to have him and Hudson together as Jonah and Robbie :D.

11. DoubleDango

DoubleDango New Member

To be fair, if the production code is any indication, this episode takes place before Halloween Moon and Spider Man on Ice, so any setbacks Spider Man had with Harry in this episode have likely been remedied thanks to the two episodes I mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's fair about the production order thing, though while that also explains Miles' absence (since this should be before he gets his powers) I still find it kind of funny that we've gone four straight episodes without him showing up :p.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WebMasterSage

I doubt Simmons will be back since he's gone Big more than Ever. And as well with him being the New Gordon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Did Hammerhead mention that the flash drive with the incriminating evidence was from the Owl? I wonder if we'll start to see Spidey fight other major crime bosses at some point? I know Mr. Negative is supposed to show up...

And I'm kind of surprised Gwen wasn't more suspicious about why Peter had a flash drive linked to a known crime boss o_O.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Owl was name-dropped in the episode as well. It would be neat if he tries taking over now that Hammerhead is apparently arrested (though I remember he was also caught at the end of "Sandman", which has a production code before this episode - and he was also in "Spider-Man On Ice", which takes place later on).

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not familiar with Screwball, but I guess she’s okay. Wouldn’t mind if she appears more pranking big corporations, you can get a few more episodes out of that, especially if she targets Stark’s competitors.
    I see them pushing Gwen and Peter together, it’s been a while since they hinted at their relationship growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So much for him getting locked up for life :sweat:.

Not since "Party Animals" I believe, at least to this extent...

18. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I feel that this was a decent episode. One of my big hopes for this series, was that theMid-Town High kids (- Flash) would have t least a little role in the series, since I enjoyed the little we've seen of them in the shorts and pilot than the wiz kids at Horizon. So seeing them (mainly Liz) get a full episode was quite a pleasant surprise.

I really like how they handled Randy here, pretty much a mirror of Robby, and Liz, being a smart kid but not a SUPER SCIENTIST. Even though these two being (apparently) best friends seems kind of random.
    Speaking of random, why was Liz a vigilante prankster? I think this episode really would've benefited from some build up with Liz. Going from straight A, over achieving, every-girl, in her first last appearance, to care-free, attention craving, rocket-skating, prankster is a bit of a stretch imo. And Spider Man dropping Liz's name right in front of a known crime boss, who was just revealed to have had connections miles deep was also quite strange. Over all, I could stand to see Liz and Randy replace the Horizon kids in a few more episodes.

I also wonder how big of a role the Bugle will play, seeing as the show is being intentionally cryptic about it now.

I thought Creel was pretty decent he (seeing how his IQ can drop pretty low in the comics), I just wish that he could have been quite the threat to Spidey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Anyone else notice it's been forever since we've seen Aunt May?

I'm also surprised that we've gotten a few more Hammerhead episodes but Sandgirl hasn't popped up again. I wonder if it's because they're trying to work within Sofia Carson's schedule?
    I also hope we get to see more of the Midtown High kids in the future :).

I still don't understand how Liz was able to come up with that rocket skateboard. I mean, they're making her out to be pretty smart, but that seemed like Horizon-level tech and I don't really think that's in Liz's wheelhouse o_O.

Yeah, the whole Screwball thing seemed like a pretty big jump for Liz from what little we've seen of her prior to this episode, though I guess since we've seen so little of her that maybe that's how they could justify such a big character change? We didn't even know she was class president up until this episode :ack:.

I'm not really sure what they were thinking having Liz basically out her identity in front of Hammerhead. I guess we're just supposed to assume he won't come after her again for...reasons :confused:?

I also still think it was a bit of a cop-out that Liz didn't get in more trouble for her pranks, since she caused a ruckus at two separate occasions and broke a few laws in the process :mad:.

Though I guess getting kidnapped by a crime boss is probably enough of a wakeup call, and Liz ending up in handcuffs would probably have really changed the feel of the ending :sweat:.
    I don't think they would've cast such a notable actor as Robbie or do all these teases to the Bugle that they've been doing unless there were big plans for the Bugle at some point ;).

I wouldn't even be surprised if that new media building Robbie was promoting ended up being the traditional Daily Bugle building :cool:.

I didn't see that giant-size form coming :eek:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm probably over-thinking this, but remember the first synopsis that appeared online claiming Screwball would show up? I thought it was fake at the time, though it turned out to be 2/3 true. The only thing that didn't happen was Danny Rand appearing in the episode. Unless they confused Randy Robertson with Danny Rand. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1