1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Sandman" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 16, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch Marvel's Spider-Man! Disney XD will premiere three new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 7:00AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Sandman"
    Episode Debut - September 16th, 2017

Spider-Man meets the powerful, yet uncontrollable Sandman and helps him reunite with his estranged daughter with the help of the Venom symbiote.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

That was surprisingly dark and I wasn't expecting this version of Sandman to be so sympathetic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Did anyone else get the sense that Sandman's daughter was transgender?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Who was Peter getting that pony for? Gwen? Aunt May? Not that I'm judging or anything, but it's weird to think he would've won such a girly pony for himself o_O.

I guess that's one thing Peter has that the other Horizon Kids don't...a sense of how to have fun without needing science :proud:.

I can respect Max wanting his students involved in major science achievements, but giving a bunch of teenagers access to an unknown substance and letting them take it outside of school just seems like a bad idea. It's no wonder they lost it :ack:.

It was cool to see Flash appear again and in a fairly more significant role, and re-establishing him as the guy that always ribs on Peter and is as huge a fan of Spidey as ever. Ben Diskin also does a solid job of capturing Flash's attitude and enthusiasm, as well as how much of a lunkhead he can be :tweety:.

Though I wonder what's up with that scar on his eye...

"Stand back Spider-Man!" Okay show, I get you want to make the supporting cast involved in the action, but maybe take it down a notch :rolleyes:.

That's some bad CG on that Goblin Glider Harry was riding on :sweat:.

Huh, it seems like they're going with Aunt May being afraid of Spider-Man in this continuity :eek:.

Another Anna Watson mention, but still no Mary Jane...

Travis Willingham as Sandman/Flint Marko has been a popular fan-casting of mine so it was pretty awesome to see him as the character here, and he fit into the role pretty naturally and effectively even if his portrayal here was pretty different from the traditional take on the character :).

This was definitely a very sympathetic take on Sandman compared to the norm, though in-line with the sympathetic Sandman from USM, though part of the point of that seemed to be to highlight the contrast with his daughter, who turned out to be more like the traditional villain Sandman from the comics :evil:.

Now that I think about it...did they ever call Flint Sandman in this episode :confused:?

Take this as a lesson folks...don't bring your daughter to a meeting with a mob boss :mad:.

Keemia has some messed up values. Not only does she view the man who tried to kill her dad and ended up turning her into a freak as more of a father then her real dad, but she shows no remorse for trying to kill said real dad. I wonder if it was the transformation into a sand-creature that messed her up or if she was really always like this underneath :eek:?

So did Keemia kill Flint? They seemed to act like she did, though Sandman has survived worse in the comics. But that was pretty brutal, watching beat on and then crush her dad, and Flint going out still loving and wishing the best for his little girl :crying:.

Why am I not surprised that Sandgirl just so happens to be super-smart, just like almost every character on this show :harley:?

Jim Cummings as Hammerhead? I didn't see that coming. And I thought Cummings as The Goblin in Shattered Dimensions was unexpected casting. Though he actually did a surprisingly good job in the role ;).

I know the Symbiote boosting Spider-Man's abilities is tradition, but compared to his showings in past episodes it's kind of disappointing that it makes him seem 10x more effective and competent then he has been without it :sad:.

So is Hammerhead not invulnerable in this continuity? Because he got hit with some debris and had a black eye at the end of the episode. I think that might make him the weakest version of Hammerhead in any Spider-Man media :confused:...

What did the police arrest Hammerhead and his men for? Just being bad guys? Though I guess Spidey's fight with Sandgirl gave the police enough cause to enter Hammerhead's mansion and seize his criminal assets, not to mention the writers probably wanted to give Spidey some kind of win after Sandgirl seemingly killed her dad and got away :ack:.

I liked the build-up to the Symbiote latching onto Peter and giving him the Black Suit at a pivotal moment, and the subtle changes to Peter's attitude and voice once he and the Symbiote bonded. I also liked the kind of foreshadowing to Venom once the Symbiote touched Peter. After USM glossed it over, it's nice to finally see the Black Suit saga in a Spider-Man cartoon again :cool:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I really wasn't expecting Keemia to be so vicious and ruthless. It's kind of bugged that she'd hate her loving but misguided dad to the point of killing him but become so enamored with the major criminal that he worked for; the same guy that tried to kill him and would have been responsible for her life changing so drastically whether she was caught in the sandblast or not. It kind of reminds me of TSSMs Electro a bit as she refuses to try to work toward getting her life back toward a normal and just went over to the dark side so easily. I guess that darkness was probably always there but came out when the situation got insane. Flint will probably be back but she was definitely aiming to end him when she got the chance to.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I gotta say, Kermia being a Sand...girl and an evil one at that was quite a twist. Did she really kill her Dad though? I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I got to say, repeated blows to the head with lethal intentions wasn't something I expected to see on this cartoon. The fact that it was the most bluntly violent act that I can recall in recent marvel cartoons stood out.

It also kind of highlighted the fact that for all the drama that scene wanted to convey, Sand Girl's motivations were very spotty. It was sort of implied, but I wish they could have said or shown that her mental stability was compromised by her mutation, like Flint in his sand form.

That being said, even though Kemia(?) came off as a bit too much on the angsty side, I really liked how hyper competent she was with her sand powers. Now it is just up to this show to do what many shows much better than this failed at, and that is not dumbing her down by her next appearance.

Overall pretty decent episode. Though they could turn down the 'science is my superpower' bit.

"Stand back Spider Man. I have science!"
    "I wanted to give myself a better life... with science!"
    "We were able to make me a superior sand person, because I had SCIENCE!!"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wasn't really that interested in seeing Sandman's daughter when they originally announced her for the show, but this episode was pretty great. A nice take on a classic Spidey villain, and pretty unique as well. I know there have been some stories where he tried to reform but this one made him somewhat even more sympathetic. On the other hand, Kemia was also an interesting character and I liked how malevolent she turned out to be in reality. That fight scene towards the end between father and daughter felt particularly intense.

Other than that, I liked how the episode also continued the sub-plot of the symbiote, reaching a more crucial point. Plus, Hammerhead (though he didn't exactly do much this time), and Harry with a prototype of the Glider. Good stuff, overall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

That fight was brutal. They were able to get away with more since it was two sand creatures but it was still Keemia beating the crap out of her dad and seemingly killing him. It was almost hard to watch.

I grew up with the Sandman who was trying to be a hero. Who after sharing a beer with the Thing and a decade plus long attempt at trying to be a better person so I like sympathetic takes on the character. Here they went full on tragic monster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Maybe transgender, maybe transexual, lesbian, bi or pansexual, fluid, or maybe just straight; we really don't know but as far as gender goes they did say time and again she is... well she, hence all woman. But as far as her romantic identity goes, i'd say it's open; but that's just me.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really think it's just as simple as her being a tomboy :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Or yeah, that to. ^^;

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider New Member

Dang did Sandgirl just killer her dad, sheesh marvel.

Gotta be one of the saddest ways to go out, your daughter being loyal to the man who almost killed you.

Taking the symbiote to the carnival seems like a horrible idea. I hope we see some more aggressive Venom-Spider. His black suit is the coolest suit, no competition.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So I wasn't feeling the episode at first - but then it got surprisingly intense in the second half. Frankly, I don't believe that he's really dead, but even going as far as they went was pretty gutsy for this show.

And the symbiote-suit makes it's debut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hammerhead picking up Sand-people in limos. Some things never change ;).

Given Keemia escaped, I wouldn't be surprised to see her appear later on to try and break Hammerhead out of jail. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see Hammerhead eventually upgrade himself so he can take on Spider-Man himself :evil:.

I wonder if Flint didn't "die" but got absorbed into Sandgirl's cells o_O?

One thing that felt off to me was the Black Suit's design. I can't quite place it, but I think the look just didn't work as well with the white spider-emblem being so big and covering so much of the body :sweat:.

Y'know, I wonder if Aunt May needing more money to cover all the Parker family expenses is going to become relevant later on. She did bring up at the end how their insurance might not be able to cover the damages to the house from Sandman's attack, so maybe Peter will need to take another job to make more money :ack:?

16. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Hammerhead responsible for turning Marko to Sandman is another nod this show made to The Spectacular Spider-Man, I dig it.

The voice of Sandman got me on a whirl for a while, first I thought it was Roger Craig Smith, then I was confident I was listening to Patrick Seitz, until credits surprised me with Travis Willingham. If Troy Baker and Nolan North didn't voice Superman I would have thought this was the first Spider-Man villain to be voiced by a Superman voice actor.

• Like Like x 1