1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Party Animals" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 2, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man today at 7:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "Party Animals"
    Episode Debut - September 2nd, 2017
    Written by - Sterling Gates
    Directed by - Sol Choi

Horizon High throws a dance in honor of Harry being exonerated, but Norman asks Harry to stay at the Oz Academy.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's another enjoyable but flawed episode for me. I wish some situations didn't wrap up as quickly as they did.

The Spidey/Jackal fight had a certain creepiness due to the lighting and environment, and I always dig situations like that. Pete and Gwen definitely have a connection now, though it sounds a little funny to hear her call him an important friend already. It looks as though he may become closer to her when things really begin to fall apart with Harry. Aunt May is fun.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 Rick Jones, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was cool to see Spider-Man go toe-to-toe with the Spider-Slayer again, this time with Alistair at the controls, and how Spidey ultimately dealt with the exploding Slayer was pretty awesome :cool:.

I'm starting to wonder if Jameson is going to use all this property damage Spidey causes during his fights to label him a "menace" and turn the public against him :sweat:?

Peter and Harry could do so much better then a Joe Quesada run coffee shop :sad:.

So Norman is apparently confirmed to be the Smythe's "benefactor," having given them access to the Spider-Slayer (which I'm guessing is a re-worked version of the OsCorp robot from the Origin shorts). Though is anyone really surprised that Norman Osborn is apparently behind everything in a Spider-Man cartoon :p?

It was also a fitting reveal given Spidey complained about every villain wanting to be his Archenemy, and then we get the reveal that his actual Archenemy has been behind everything from the beginning ;).

Though I guess the question remains whether Norman told Smythe to deliberately frame Harry so he could enroll him in his own, personally funded, high school to have more control over him or whether he just made Harry's expulsion work to his advantage. It could go either way with Osborn :mad:.

Although I wonder why he needed the Spider-Slayer to get Harry's tech since he ended up getting them anyways :harley:?

So The Jackal essentially created Spider-Man, since he made the radioactive spiders while he was working at OsCorp. I'm surprised neither he nor Norman have made the connection between the spiders and the new spider-themed hero swinging around New York, though it seems like Warren was starting to clue-in to it near the end of the episode :ack:.

Why were the kids so against a school dance? I mean, I get that they're science nerds, but they're still teenagers. Do they not know how to have fun without involving science :confused:?

I'm trying to track Peter's win/loss record of Spidey's battles on his wall with what we've seen up to this point:

Wins: Vulture (Rematch), Spider-Slayer (Rematch), Black Cat (Final Rematch)

Losses: Vulture (First Round), Spider-Slayer (First Round), Jackal (First Round), Jackal (Second Round), Black Cat (First Rounds).

Oh Aunt May :rolleyes2:.

I guess if anyone had any doubt about whether Norman was as controlling and manipulative a father as ever in this incarnation...

It was fun seeing the cast all dressed-up for the dance. Peter, Harry, and Miles all looked dashing in their tuxes and Gwen and Anya looked lovely in their dresses :anime:.

Jeez Harry, I get that you wanted to announce your decision but way to undercut the whole point of the dance dude :rolleyes:.

Rhino was an...interesting addition to the episode. Making Aleksei Systevich into another science nerd at Horizon, and a fun-loving one at that, was random enough but then you turn him into a mutant Rhino-man rather then a more traditional Rhino from the comics. It just all seemed kind of random. Plus, given he was cured, I wonder if we'll ever see the Rhino on the show again :eek:?

That was kind of an anticlimactic end for The Jackal. Not only did Spidey not even beat him, but we still barely know anything about his transformation into the Jackal and what his goals were besides (apparently) getting a job. After all that build-up to him as a major villain and foe for Spider-Man, it kind of feels like he went out with a whimper :sad:.

So...exactly what is going to happen to Gwen now that her seemingly only living relative and guardian is going to jail? She's still a minor and George Stacy is apparently nowhere to be found. I'm as curious as to what's going to happen to Gwen as to what exactly her family situation is like o_O.

On a more positive note, it was nice to see Peter and Gwen bond and grow closer as Peter consoled her over what happened with her Uncle by relating it to what happened with Uncle Ben. I doubt we'll see the two's relationship on this show expand past friendship, but it was still a really sweet moment :).

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Frontier, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

With Aleksei being an innocent kid, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing O'Hirn as a more villainous Rhino someday but who knows what they have planned.

As I'm thinking of Gwen's situation, I'm wondering if it's ever clearly stated whether Dr. Warren was her guardian, or if he's just her favorite uncle or something. For some reason, I kept expecting Capt. Stacy to show up here but there wasn't even a reference to any other relatives. Then we see her cleaning up glass after the police have left (it's still a crime scene, right?), so I'm just curious what her living situation will be like now.

I was a little relieved not to see Harry fuming about Spidey after he showed up. I wouldn't be surprised if some parents considered Osborn over Horizon due to recent incidents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if they ever plan to have Rhino show up again. It doesn't really feel like it right now :sweat:.

It appeared they were living together, so I have to imagine that Warren was basically Gwen's legal guardian, which still begs the question of what happened to her parents or what she's going to do now o_O.

The NYPD has been popping up a lot on the show lately so I'm wondering if they're ever going to introduce someone who will act as Spidey's liaison with the police. I assumed that would be Captain Stacy's role, but given he seemingly isn't around....

I wonder how bad it'll look for the school once Otto turns into Dr. Octopus :ack:?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

We already saw how manipulative Norman is with the Clash vs Shocker thing. This version of the character looks to want to control the situation because he can. It's very likely he was already planning his school and planned it with Spencer and he needed Harry expelled to give himself a good reason to make his rival school. Maybe having them frame Harry and try steal his tech was a way for Spencer to get a teaching job at Norman's school.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #6 Dragnatek, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it looks like Alistair is now with Osborn Academy so I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer ends up getting the teaching job Warren was going for.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fett One

Fett One Jedi Hunter

I'm leaning towards it being the former. This version of Norman doesn't seem like the kind of person that would willingly work with someone that tried to mess with his family.

I wonder if they plan on going the Ultimate Spider-Man route (the comic, not the show) and have Gwen live with Peter and Aunt May.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true, but I'm wondering if he'd abide by it if he knew it would end up benefiting the family by putting Harry under his thumb...

Although if Norman didn't know about it, I imagine it would definitely sour his partnership with the Smythes :ack:.

I'm going to laugh if everybody ends up living at Aunt May's again :p.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm surprised to say I preferred seeing Peter's life to seeing Spider-Man in this episode. It's really great to feel that invested in the main character outside of the suit. It helps that this show focuses on Peter properly. I liked see more Norman Osborn, Harry and Peter's relationship, and Harry not accusing Spider-Man of anything.

Rhino's design was... interesting, but it worked. I'm glad we met Alexsei before this episode even if it was just setup. The Raymond Warren secret didn't last long, but perhaps it will play a greater role in Gwen's superhero life. Speaking of Gwen, she and Peter shared a very sweet moment near the end of the episode. This show feels like its hitting its stride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty great episode. It was good to see a conclusion to Harry's suspension from Horizon High. Although it didn't work out as the others hoped since he chose to remain at Osborn Academy. But his scenes with Norman and Pete were good.

Rhino was a decent antagonist if only for one episode, but I think there's a chance Aleksei might turn back into Rhino later on. Aleksei being a student at Horizon was a little random but harmless enough. I liked how they set up his transformation in the last episode, and appreciate they didn't use the same scenario from Ultimate Spider-Man with him wanting to become Rhino to get revenge on Flash Thompson for bullying him.

The scenes with Norman and Warren were pretty intriguing. Not to mention Alistair Smythe, which explains a couple of things about his previous appearances. It will be interesting to see how he and Harry will interact if they'll be in the same school.

The big reveal about Jackal was handled pretty well. I liked how Gwen was the first to realize her uncle was responsible for all that was going on. Spidey's fight with Jackal was cool and while it did feel a little anti-climatic capturing him already, I don't think we have seen the last of him yet. I also liked the short scene with Peter and Gwen bonding at the end.

Overall, a good episode and I am looking forward to seeing what happens next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's little things like Gwen knocking both times she went to the house, or telling Anya she had to go to her uncle's house instead of just saying home, that made me feel as though she's possibly just visiting. I'm feeling positive it will be addressed either way. I'm trying to remember what the original situation was like in the Ultimate comics (it feels like forever since I read them). Was there a time when Gwen stayed with the Parkers due to how busy her dad was with work? I could totally picture a similar situation with the uncle here as well.

It's kind of funny that the kids seemed flustered after Max okayed a dance but everybody seemed to be having a really good time, before the Rhino situation anyway. For Anya, it was probably just another excuse to take out some aggression on Peter. With the dancers, skaters from the pilot, and a possible football team in mind, I wonder if all the other kids at Horizon aren't as singularly science minded as our main group.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, if Superhero cartoons have taught me anything, it's that cures never stick :p.

I am kind of curious if we'll see any other kids mutated by The Jackal's formula before we see the Lizard tun up :ack:.

It's interesting seeing the student body of Osborn Academy building up, with Harry, Herman, and Alistair.

I wonder if Norman will give Spencer the teaching job Warren was after o_O?

I'm pretty sure she only got involved with the Parkers once her dad had died.

I hope the show addresses her family life at some point since it just seems really vague right now :confused:.

Well, I would like to think it would be nice for the kids to have more to do then science :rolleyes2:.

But I can totally believe Anya took offense at it just because she doesn't like Peter :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was mostly good - but yeah, that better not be the end of Jackal on this show. Would be way too abrupt for a villain that had been getting lots of set-up.

Even if Peter has to keep blowing him off for Spidey related activities, I really do like the friendship between Harry and Peter in this show. Feels very genuine.

Likewise, the father-son relationship between Harry and Norman is done pretty well. The writers found a balance; Norman is still manipulative, and probably won't make Father of the Year, but he also isn't a one-note monster to Harry either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really like how the kids all worked together to figure out how to deal with The Rhino. It didn't seem like anyone ran away in terror. I guess it helps that it's a school full of geniuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It certainly feels like the creators are trying to setup Spider-Man needing his upcoming team of Spider-people.

I think Vulture and Black Cat are the only people he was able to stop without any outside help :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  17. General Mike

General Mike Member

I liked it. Alexi turning into Rhino was a bit of surprise to me since I watched this and episode 4 out of order. I guess it shouldn't have been based on history. Felt to early for them to lock up Gwen's uncle, but I guess it makes sense since he's not the main villain of the season and probably not even the #2 villain.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider New Member

Why does spiderman leave his villians not wrapped up in webs before leaving?

I feel like it just leaves them to wake up and cause havoc again