1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Origin" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 24, 2017.

?

Rate and discuss these "Marvel's Spider-Man" shorts!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As we approach the Marvel's Spider-Man premiere date, Disney XD will release six animated shorts featuring a retelling of Spidey's origin daily beginning today, on the Disney XD app, VOD and Disney XD’s YouTube.

[​IMG]

Monday, July 24th - Saturday, July 29th

Disney XD will be releasing a series of six animated shorts retelling Spider-Man’s origins ending in the loss of Peter’s Uncle Ben ahead of the summer series’ release. These animated shorts will launch one per day on Disney XD and Disney XD’s YouTube channel from July 24th to July 29th.

Synopsis: When Peter Parker is bitten by a radioactive spider, he uses the five steps of the scientific method to diagnose what's happened to him.

Part 1 - Introduction
    Part 2 - Observation
    Part 3 - Hypothesis
    Part 4 - Prediction
    Part 5 - Experimentation
    Part 6 - Conclusion
    The creative team includes: executive producers Alan Fine, Dan Buckley, Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb, Cort Lane, and Eric Radomski; co-executive producers Stan Lee, and Stephen Wacker; supervising producers Kevin Shinick and Marsha Griffin; consulting producers Dan Slott, Kevin Burke and Chris “Doc” Wyatt; and Supervising Director Philip Pignotti.

*The show will officially premiere on Saturday, August 19th.

Use this thread to discuss these Spider-Man animated shorts!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links
    :
    "Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)
    "Avengers: Secret Wars" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Guardians of the Galaxy" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Disney XD's YouTube channel
    Watch the first "Origin" short at Marvel's YouTube channel

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

All of the shorts are up on Disney XD Free On Demand. I watched them all, and I thought they were great. I give it 4 1/2 stars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Saw the shorts on Disney XD On Demand. I actually liked them. Part 5 and 6 are my favorites. I think this show has some great potential.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

I finally saw them. Here's my review of each.

1-I thought that it was okay, kind of annoying but funny and the voice acting and animation is nice as always. 3 stars

2-This was also pretty good, it was less annoying but not as funny either 3 stars

3-This was pretty funny and this is where the shorts start becoming better. 4 stars

4-I really liked this one, it was very entertaining. 4 stars

5-This was really great, I love the dynamic colors and the action in this. I think the wrestling jokes were really funny and I like the Stan Lee cameo. 4 1/2 stars

6-This one is my favorite and I personally think it is as good as Marvel's best work like EMH. This was beautifully written, felt organic, had even more dynamic colors and styles, amazing action and I just love how this plays out. I couldn't find a single problem. It was tragic and it was visually gorgeous and well balanced with a good lesson for Peter. 5 stars

Final thoughts-I really like this "mini episode", it was visually appealing, had good voice work, the plot moved nicely, it felto real, had lots of heart and was very entertaining.

Final rating. 5 stars

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    #4 Peter Parker, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  5. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

In one episode, technically, the consecutive shorts really knew how to build tension and stakes with genuinely well-timed humor and drama. My biggest worry was that part 1 or the Scorpion sneak peek was going to be indicative of the rest, but I'm elated to be able to understand there will be more to this series. Now the only downside that really awaits is the integration of CGI.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

I agree, though I never thought origin 1 or the Scorpion clip were bad. This is a huge step above USM. I forgot to mention in my review that Robbie really sounded like Josh Keaton in part 6 and may be my new favotive voice for Spidey. My favorite piece of animation was the bullet and I loved when the police cars showed up, it looked pretty. Episode 6 makes me feel optimistic about other parts with drama like the Wonder con clip because this show feels authentic and the other parts make me optimistic for the humor and action. I love the wrestling scene but I also really enjoy the warehouse fight. The scene where Spider-Man slammed the guy with his webs was really cool. The trailers also show some good action, like when Spidey was riding on a stop sign or swung into the train or was fighting the Spider-Slayers. Maybe the final product will be even better.

• Like Like x 3
    #6 Peter Parker, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I gotta say, after having seen the shorts I think this new show might actually be pretty good; the writing is good, the animation is good, the voice acting is great, this is the Marvel animated show we deserve. No offense to USM though, but I do think this new show might do Spidey better.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually really enjoyed these shorts to a surprising degree, and what we seem to be getting with this take on Spider-Man. While I wouldn't say the writing is on-the-level of Spectacular or as involved as the 90's cartoon, there seems to be a lot of heart going into it and this all around seems to be shaping up to be a fun (and a tad more traditional) Spider-Man cartoon. I'm looking forward to seeing what more they have in store for us :anime:.

I really liked how these shorts felt plot-relevant and important to the overall story of the series, in establishing Peter's origin and his coming to grips with his powers and finding the motivation to become Spider-Man. While the recent shorts for the other Marvel cartoons have been fun, they felt a little like fluff, so I was glad these were a little more significant by comparison :).

It's also interesting to note that, animation-wise, we usually don't get to see that much focus on Peter learning and understanding his powers since they usually just skip from his getting bitten to having complete grasp of his abilities. So that was interesting, particularly connecting Peter training with his powers with the scientific method, which felt appropriate ;).

The character designs look fine for what they are, and very anime-esque, though I felt at times they could be more distinctive and a little less angular at times (if that makes any sense). Animation-wise....well, I think it looks a little better then the animation in other, in-house, Marvel cartoons but I also thought at times the animation could be more refined, high-grade, and visually appealing at times :sad:.

Though I would also say the animation seemed to kick up a notch to some degree during action sequences and high-tension moments, so hopefully that will remain intact for the series proper :cool:.

They're really pushing Peter's science side and how goofy he can be in this interpretation. Like 70-80% of his lines was mentioning something about science or correcting someone about something scientific, when he wasn't goofing around or clumsily messing with his powers. I think it's a valid take to some degree, and for the most part I'd say it came off fairly endearing in these short,s but I hope it's not too exaggerated or all there is to Pete's character going forward in the series. I'm also curious to see how they'll develop his persona as Spider-Man :ack:.

Robbie Daymond was a little more high-pitched as Peter then I was expecting, but I think he injected a lot of youthful enthusiasm and heart into the role. I also felt that he showed off a solid range in his performance, and a kind of raw emotion that we never really got with Drake Bell in USM, which I appreciated. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Daymond will handle the Spidey-side of Peter going forward, where he starts acting more confident and jokey when fighting villains, and I hope he gets strong material going forward. I think he has the potential to be a really great Spider-Man :proud:.

So there was a group of OsCorp spiders that got loose, including the one that bit Peter? I wonder if the remaining irradiated spiders will be responsible for the other Spider-heroes getting their powers :eek:?

I also wonder if that OsCorp robot is going to end up turning out to be the Spider-Slayer? It would be fitting given the Smythe's were at the demonstration :evil:.

Y'know, even if Liz never shows up past these shorts (which would be kind of disappointing), at least it's notable that if it wasn't for her switching sides with Peter he would have never been bitten by the spider. So, basically, Liz Allan is responsible for the creation of Spider-Man :p.

Wasn't expecting to get some Peter fan-service so early into the series :rolleyes2:.

Was there a Spider-Gwen poster in Peter's room :confused:?

I would've personally gone with the second costume, since it looked pretty cool, but I guess they wanted to fit in a Scarlet Spider joke :shrug:.

I wish we could've seen Aunt May in the flesh, but at least it's nice to get an idea of what Nancy Linari's May sounds like. Not much I can say about it so far other then that it sounds appropriate for Aunt May, and not too different from Misty Lee's take from USM :harley:.

Don't tell me that psychic who inspired Peter to seek "fame and fortune" was this universe's version of Madame Web :sweat:?

It's interesting that they switched the timing of Peter letting the burglar get away. Usually it happens after the match, while here it was right before. It makes it come off as a far more casual act on Peter's part rather then it being a decision made at the height of his arrogance o_O.

Really cool that they not only went with the classic wrestler origin, but brought in Bonesaw from the Raimi movies (and voiced by Steven Blum no less) :D.

Stan Lee cameo for the win! Can we get more of him instead of Joe Quesada :anime:?

Did anyone else think the burglar looked really young? I only mention this because, given this series seems to be aiming for younger interpretations of major Spider-Man characters, it's not completely surprising that the burglar looks a little more "youthful" then usual. And Ben Diskin goes from voicing Venom and incidental Spider-Men to the guy who killed Uncle Ben :eek:.

I think it would've been nice to see Uncle Ben in the flesh before he got shot, and actually get to hear him verbalize that "With Great Power..." mantra. It would've made his death and Peter's feelings regarding it seem more impactful in my opinion, on-top of letting us hear Patton Oswalt as Ben. But oh well, we've still got some flashbacks with him to look forward too in the series proper ;).

Peter said Spider-Man's been called a "menace," so I guess that implies the Bugle will definitely be around to some degree...

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #8 Frontier, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

These Origin shorts were pretty good. Spidey's origin story has been told lots of times over the years so there's really not much you could add to it to make it more original. I liked how this played out, for the most part - seeing Peter try and figure out what has happened to him and test out his new found powers and abilities was pretty cool. Some fun stuff in there, especially during the wrestling match. Plus, all those characters in the first short, most likely foreshadowing some future events. It's just nice to see more of Peter's classmates and teachers from a regular school, something Ultimate Spider-Man ignored most of the time.

The last short was probably the best one, it had a different tone than the others and while we didn't get to see Uncle Ben in these at all, I thought it still managed to be pretty emotional. I'm glad they added at least one "With great power..." quote in there, even if the person who started it all wasn't seen outside that photo. On a similar note, I was hoping at least Aunt May would show up but I guess they're saving that for the regular series.

I also liked how it ended, with Spidey's reasoning to becoming a hero and trying to be a symbol of hope. It's a neat way to end this and possibly make the transition to the series premiere. Hopefully, it won't disappoint. I must have said this before, but I think this has some potential. This special, broken into six parts, was a pretty nice surprise and I am looking forward to more from this show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #9 RoyalRubble, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's strange, but for me it fell like Uncle Ben's death came out if left field. I guess because we haven't seen him in this nor mentioned at all until now. And since he wasn't brought up once in the movie.

All in all these shorts were really nice. The show seems like an improvement of Ultimate and I hope it continues to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I hope this is a sign of the quality of the show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1