1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Spider-Man "Horizon High, Parts 1-2" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 19, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss the series premiere!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. ****

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. ***1/2

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. */12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually liked this two parter more than I expected, but maybe that's due to low expectations?

The animation isn't great, but it does seem to get better for action scenes, and the faces are very expressive, which I like.

The humor isn't perfect, but it's already a step-up from USM. This humor feels more authentic to Spider-Man; it isn't Deadpool/Saved By The Bell humor.

Peter is already more likable here than he was in the last show. I also like that he's being portrayed as really smart, which should be obvious, but USM made him act dumb quite a few times. Better voice here, too.

Also, Peter and Harry's friendship and interactions here actually felt genuine; it was one of the highlights of the episode. Something realistic about it. But I do agree that Harry's distrust of Spider-Man felt tacked on.

I also agree that after Homecoming's take on Vulture, this version came across as generic. Cool costume, though. Scorpion was...OK, I guess.

The supporting cast have potential. Max Modell seems like a very cool guy, the classmates weren't annoying (and we may get Gwen soon), and Uncle Ben's flashbacks were nice. The Smythe's are pretty petty.

I'm fine with the science-angle so far. It helps differentiate itself from earlier incarnations. Some of Peter's geek talk can be a bit much, though.

Anyway, I already think this show will end up being better than USM - and it's only week one. Hopefully the show can keep itself (at the very least) at this level of quality. This is one Peter Parker I don't mind following.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked that Vulture called his henchemen "minions," because who does that :p?

I wonder if we're ever going to see Toomes without his helmet on :ack:?
    Hmm...well, I guess I get where they're coming from, but at the same time I don't think going for a flashier and a little lengthier intro would really detract that much from the amount of screentime they're able to use (especially when it doesn't seem to be an issue for most cartoons) :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't mind Vulture so much yet but I am a little worried about what will happen with Scorpion. The design grew on me, and he did get to look a little intimidating as he knocked Spidey around a bit but as soon as he got on that train, he jobbed. He doesn't even have the petty motivations Vulture does at this point , and by making him a pre-existing villain, he can't use the original motivations either. I already like him more than USMs Kung Fu Scorpion but judging from this, it doesn't feel like he'll amount to more than a lackey that gets taken out quickly.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They also had Jason Spisak double-up to voice him, which implies to me that they don't see him as all that important enough to warrant a unique voice actor :sad:.

Although who knows, if they ever address the Bugle maybe they'll still find a way to work in his grudge against Jameson ;)?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ya know, since this is an origin story, it would've better if we saw how the Vulture and Scorpion came to be. It makes me miss how well the villains in Spectacular were handled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I liked the kung-fu Scorpion from USM more than the version we briefly saw here. It was a weird take on a classic Spidey villain and tying him more to Iron Fist than Spidey himself was equally strange, but I think it worked out pretty well. And he at least received a full episode to himself, before joining the Sinister Six. :p

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Vulture, judging by some of the promos or footage shown at Comic-Con. It might sound weird but I think it would be pretty cool if a long-running Spidey cartoon could manage to fit in all the versions of Vulture from the comics, sort of a legacy character or something.

After the premiere, the Smythes seem to be the most likely to appear in multiple episodes and cross paths with Spidey even more times than the other two rogues, which is a little weird. And then there's the fact they seem to be working for someone else, hopefully they don't drag out that story-line too much, or at the very least make it entertaining to watch (making us keep guessing their boss' identity, etc.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still surprised they actually bothered to reveal Vulture's real name and give him any kind of background (which is more then they gave Scorpion).

I at least liked their takes on his Scorpion armor (and Dante Basco) ;).

I liked his design here but it seemed a little top-heavy :sweat:.

I could see them making Vuture one of the more consistent recurring villains, for synergy purposes and because he was one of the villains showcased at Comic-Con along the main cast :evil:.

It'd be interesting to see them develop his grudge against Modell and the dynamic between him and Smythe, since they seem to be working for the same person :ack:.

It would be pretty cool to see them use Blackie Drago or the Vulturions at some point :cool:.

I'm curious to see how long it is before Spidey discovers Spencer's behind everything (including the Spider-Slayer) and how long before Alistair might take over from his father like he usually does :eek:.

I'm also curious to see how many agents this hidden villain has under his employ, and why they're working for him o_O.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Explanation 3 is probably the most plausible.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Suspended is reason to return to your old highschool? How does that work?

And why did Harry spend his time in school to build a bomb? That is silly.

Scorpion is not credited.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

On a sort of related note, Blackie Drago was supposedly used in the 60s Spidey cartoon, but I don't think they ever mentioned his identity in the show.
    http://marvel.toonzone.net/spidey67/episode/skyfalling/04.jpg

Scorpion was in the credits; Jason Spisak (Alistair Smythe) also voiced him.
    jPijv0v.png

• Like Like x 1
    #30 RoyalRubble, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  11. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I'll give the show a few more try's to see if it be good, But right now I don't know I can go back in repeat viewing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #31 dmxx116, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  12. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I thought it was ok. The potential is already there, the show just has to simply grow into what it can be.

That line in the beginning by one of the pinned down officers: "SCIENCE, is the new currency," was a bit much. I know this show wants to show kids how cool the STEM field is, I just hope it doesn't start straddling the line between a kids cartoon and an action packed PBS kids program.

Concerning the Scorpion, I really thought his costume was hopelessly stupid during the preview, but it did grow on me during the actual episode. I just feel that such an beastly, monster-like suit would benefit from a more feral and driven personality, perhaps a monster with a grudge against his creator, or something. While the costume did grow on me, the common thug personality within did't feel fitting.

The Vulture was also pretty run of the mill here, though his voice acting was pretty neat. I too, am surprised that they gave him so much of an identity outside of the costume (compared to other MAU shows) within the first few episodes.

I think with a little character developing, the cast from Peter's old high school could be pretty interesting. It would be cool if Peter's old classmates (future villains aside) can keep some capacity of a decent role in the series going forward.

The Smythes have potential to be pretty interesting mainstay antagonists. They just need better dialogue, and more development (which I'm almost positive is on the way).

Over all not the best premiere imo, but it definitely has potential enough for me to follow a few more episodes. I already enjoy it more than most of Ultimate Spider-Man :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Finally watched the premiere episodes yesterday, and they were alright. Some various thoughts:

-Getting used to the new art style and voices will take some time given Ultimate Spider-Man ended less than 8 months ago.
    -The humor was fine but nothing laugh out loud for me.
    -Peter's fourth wall breaks are replaced with constant monologuing...I'm not sure if one's significantly better than the other.
    -As others have mentioned, Harry's a little too antagonistic towards Spider-Man at this point. And Peter should have grilled him more for having bombs in his possession. I do enjoy the camaraderie between Harry and Peter, though.
    -The pacing of these episodes seemed a bit rushed, not enough "downtime" so to speak.
    -Harry and Alistair's designs look like they should be switched.
    -Anya's personality is giving me flashbacks to White Tiger in USM and that worries me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Watched part 1. Not going to be interested any further.

Daymond's ok as Peter/Spidey, but, based on what I'm reading from the group, he needs to work on differentiating the voices, but, remember, too, that in the opener, he doesn't have the traditional costume, as this carries over from "Homecoming".

Speaking of which, I'm not surprised they went with Vulture here, and that they rebooted Doc Ock as a science teacher (Whaaa?) does surprise me. It doesn't surprise me, either, that Marble couldn't get it right with this series. Too talky---again, just like season 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man---and the animation is not at its best. Shoot, DuckTales is better than this drivel.

• Like Like x 2