1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Greg91, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
    [​IMG]

Theatrical Release Date: July 7, 2017 (formerly July 28, 2017)

News Sources
    Rumors and Sony Hack: IGN 10/6/14, CBM 12/12, CBM 12/19, CBM 3/12/15, CBM 4/26/, CBR 6/21, Empire 4/3/16, Collider 4/12, CBM 5/18,

General: Marvel 2/9/15, EW 2/10, Variety 2/11, Collider 7/1, Y! 9/21, CBR 9/30, SHH 11/28, CBR 1/20/16, Collider 4/12, TW 4/12, THR 4/12, CBR 4/27, CBR 7/24, CBR 7/24,

Cast: THR 6/23/15, THR 6/23, CBR 7/30, CBR 11/1, CBR 3/7/16, CBR 3/23, CBR 4/15, CBR 4/15, CBR 4/21, CBR 4/21, CBR 6/14, THR 6/16, DL 6/16, CBR 6/20, CBR 6/20, CBR 6/21, CBM 6/21, CBR 6/22, CB 6/22, THR 6/23, DL 6/29, DL 6/30, CBR 7/6, CB 7/23, CBM 7/24,

Writers: Deadline 7/16/15, NPR 7/26, USA 7/28, Greenwald Podcast 7/29, Vulture 7/30,

Directors: LR 3/2/15, Deadline 5/5, Deadline 6/2, EW 7/28, DB 7/29, DL 9/19, Y! 9/21, CBM 10/6, CBM 10/9, CBR 6/17,

Suit: CBM 7/29, CB 8/8, CBM 8/10, Tech 8/11,

Rumors: Reddit 3/2/15, Wrap 4/22, CBM 4/25, CBM 4/28, BAD 5/2, CBR 5/14, OM 5/20, THR 5/30, CBM 6/12, CBR 6/12, CBR 6/12, Deadline 6/13, THR 7/8, CBR 7/30, CBM 8/4, SR 8/5, HH 9/18, CBM 12/6, CBR 4/13/16, Wrap 4/15, CBR 5/20, CBR 5/20,

Feige: Collider 4/11/15, Crave Online 4/11, Zap2it 6/25, SSH 6/27, BDM 6/28, CV 9/30, EW 4/8/16,

Civil War: THR 6/23/15, EW 12/6, CBR 12/7, CBR 12/9, CB 1/8/16, Collider 1/14, Geek 1/15, CBR 4/18,

Filming: CBR 6/20, CBM 6/20, CBM 6/23, Looper 6/28, CBM 6/29, SMM Tweet 7/7, CBM 7/11, CBM 7/11,

Concept Art: CBR 7/23,

Not an origin story, will reveal origin in different ways, spending much more time focusing on this young high school kid in the MCU dealing with his powers, There is a young kid [already] running around New York City in a homemade version of the Spider-Man costume in the MCU, you just don’t know it yet, his nervous energy, bothering the criminals with banter as much as with his powers. That’s something that I think we’re excited to explore, we’ve already designed the costume, which is different than any of the ones that have come before. And yet ours is classic Spidey, We’ve been thinking about it as long as we’ve been thinking about Phase Three.
    ===============================================

I was going to ask if anyone thinks Sony should just wrap up the Amazing Spider-Man film series with the third title, but some new news has risen regarding Spider-Man in film. Could Spider-Man Join the Marvel Cinematic Universe? - IGN

I'd rather the Sony Spider-Man did not mix in with the MCU. The quality of the films have been off (first film - positive, second film - mixed). I know Marvel has a decent relationship with Sony, but I think they need to start fresh with their own Spider-Man or let Sony finish their series with a third and final instalment. I'm still voting for MJ, Kraven the Hunter, and Black Cat to appear. I liked The Amazing Spider-Man and still feel invested in the series if they get the next movie right. I'm not interested in any of the spin-offs but if the Sinister Six are as appealing as the Suicide Squad in Arrow and Batman: Assault on Arkham, Sony has my attention.

#1 Greg91, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not 100% against Spidey being in the MCU, but as of right now I'm not for it either. I realize Marvel will have to go somewhere new after all this cosmic stuff, but they may just stretch it out. If say when Avengers 3 ties up their cosmic Thanos saga, it would be after the proposed Amazing Spider-Man trilogy. So they could tie the two universes together.

3. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I don't see why Thanos has to be the end-all-be-all. Simply create a new character who is a bigger threat.

I suspect if Sony does cave it will only be to synergize, since they cannot seem to create big money-making films on their own right now.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanos shouldn't. There are plenty of other characters that can kick him around the block.

Synergy. Gugh. But probably.

I'm leaning more towards nay. It's ill suiting, imo, to shoehorn the ASMU into the MCU. I know they almost had the OsCorp Tower in Avengers but it didn't happen.

I agree. But in addition, while I also still feel vested in the ASMU, they really need to sit down, work together better or find people who will for the long haul, and just plan it out. If they already are, it's not showing, imo. Just like the X-Men, Spider-Man is a property that is so vast and rich it can exist on it's own rather than just another blot in the Marvel Comics tapestry. I'm really hoping Sony keeps the ASMU going instead of falling back with another reboot. I want to see a Spider-Man that makes it past college. Preferably, Empire State University.

5. the greenman

I've been thinking lately about both Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. I wonder what exactly would Marvel do with them if they get them back in the next 5 years after the Infinity War Phase 3.

One thing, Fox will more than likely not budge even if FF is on the level of Green Lantern, so they will come up with a Silver Surfer film or they aweful crossover with X-Men universe, or something simply to keep the rights. Add to the fact they're no doubt bitter that they lost Daredevil already and they have a 7 year window to reboot, I feel we can doubt they will let go of it. If MARVEL got it back, will they shelve it for another 5 years after the get it. Will they want to do a film or tv? I personally think film because of budgetry reasons.

On Spider-Man, Sony needs a leader and a good director to really guide things. Raimi seems a good fit for leader if he is given complete creative control. ABSOLUTELY NO STUDIO INTERFERENCE. There will be one man they answer to about probably finances/budgets, contracts, and release timing, but that's it. It looks like Arad is that man that would be head over leader, but then he would have to tell Sony to nod their head yes if and when Raimi has a good idea. They have already ruined the franchise twice, and if Raimi were the man to run stuff then he needs to be honest. I think between he and friend Rob Tapert (Xena, Hercules, American Gothic), they can run the franchise like Marvel, as a television series as films. Can Marc Webb stay as director producer, if they were to see eye to eye. All this though is fantasy conjecture, since it seems Sony will keep the i.p. even if they lose money. If MARVEL gets it then what. Stop the cosmic stuff?

Well, Kingpin is kinda his Thanos and will have already appeared. To begin again, it could work as a planned film trilogy, and to be honest with you he's one I can see MARVEL doing both film and tv back to back. Film in 2022, miniseries in 2023, film in 2024, etc.

Mod Note: Below is copy of 12/12 post - things start to start around there

Well, until we get some real news from Sony's proposed "Spidey Summit" in January, the hack news just keeps us fed like an IV:

From older to newer. . .

Pascal did "approach" Raimi about Spidey. (NOTE: in another email she wrote "Nah, he went all Joel Shumacher on us"):
    Sony Have Approached Sam Raimi About Returning To The SPIDER-MAN Franchise

Garfield has been fired "officially" but kept quiet:
    Venom Or Carnage Could Be Main Villain In SPIDER-MAN - SINISTER SIX Team-Up Film

Russo's were offered to produce the next Spidey stuff:
    Russo Bros. Offered To Produce Sony's SPIDER-MAN Films; Will Direct INFINITY WAR

MARVEL had their own plans for Spidey reboot, and it could be what we will see someday:
    SPIDER-MAN: New Details Leaked of What Marvel has Planned for a Solo Spider-Man Film

#5 the greenman, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't disagree, though I actually enjoyed ASM2 despite agreeing with the critical flaws in that others have pointed out, but I don't think Marvel's take on a Spider-Man movie would necessarily be all that different from Sony's. What I think the problem for the Spider-Man movies is studio interference and a lack of a clear direction.

You have a lot of people trying to put their mark on SM3 and ASM2, particularly Sony, and it comes off as putting too much into one movie and leaving the plot jumbled among all the elements. Not to mention the ASM movies haven't been the best when ti comes to editing, and how much gets altered or cut from the final product. And Sony's far to preoccupied trying to make a Spidey film universe to compete with Marvel that they lose sight of making a good, standalone, Spider-Man movie. And even aside from that, it's been brought up how in general there might just be Spider-man movie fatigue on the part of the general audience which there's not much Sony can do about.

This probably wouldn't be as much of an issue with the MCU, though I imagine that any Spider-Man film by Marvel Studios would in some way have to tie into the overall Avengers plot somehow. But considering the likely scenario of Marvel getting the rights back, Sony giving up on the franchise when it just doesn't seem viable or lucrative to continue making movies with Spider-Man characters, they'll probably opt for a Netflix series than a proper MCU movie. Which would probably give more freedom, though possibly have to tie into Defenders somehow :sweat:.

I guess if there's any major negative to Marvel getting the rights back, it's that any changes to the Spidey mythos or characters in the MCU would probably be mirrored in the comics no matter how unnecessary they might be :shrug:.

7. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I really doubt we'll be getting a Spider-Man Netflix series. He's just not someone I think you can do justice to on a TV budget.

More than likely I have a feeling if and when they use him it'll be in a supporting capacity or part of a future Avengers movie. If ASM2 has really been bad enough to kill the franchise or Sinister Six gets made and does as bad as people expect it, Marvel isn't gonna immediately rush out a new Spider-Man movie.

8. ms78

ms78 Member

Would they be able to get away with just saying ASM 1 & 2 take place after AoU? That way they wouldn't have to reboot and they could continue with Garfield as Spider-Man. Would also explain why he wasn't around to help during Phase 1 and 2.

9. RoryWilliams

I said so several pages ago but I don't think that's even necessary. The Avengers didn't show up to help Iron Man take down Killian and Iron Man didn't show up to help Cap and Falcon fight the Helicarriers. And that's not even getting into how they'll potentially explain the Netflix heroes. I think at this point we can trust the audience to be smart enough to understand that these characters have their own stuff going on and aren't necessarily going to be able to cross over and help each other out every time there's trouble.

10. the greenman

I disagree, cause if you remember the viral campaigns for ASM2, that was taking care of villains and storylines that couldn't hold an entire film. However, if they used a miniseries to follow the criminal underworld guys then go back to the super-powered villains in the films, it could make a nice balance.

By the way, MARVEL isn't stupid enough to shelve Spidey. I think just a few months ago a survey was released that stated he is the most popular superhero character in the world, surpassing even Supes, Bats, an Iron Man. In MARVEL's hands I have no doubt he will bring in the same billions Iron Man has.

11. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Incorporating Spider-man's NYC into the Netflix shows would be a huge plus.

Marvel is going to do Daredevil justice on a TV budget. I'm sure they could do Spider-man justice on a TV budget.

12. ms78

ms78 Member

This I agree with. There is no way every superhero could show up to every crisis. It would be to unbelievable.

13. RoryWilliams

Daredevil is basically a martial artist with some parkour skills. He does not do the same level of complicated stunt work people have come to expect from Spider-Man. It won't happen, I guarantee it.

14. the greenman

The point of contention at this point is what now? Will Sony continue to crank out stuff bad or not, or actually give the rights up? If you look at Transformers, it keeps making money, they may not be good, but they do bring in dollars. Resident Evil goes the same way, not good but they keep churning them out.

What I'm getting at is, you really have to wonder what Sony is thinking. We know they only want Spider-Man for the money, but they can't expect that the way their going about it will be a good thing. I read Marvel offered them a 60-40 deal, but Sony will not relinquish creative control. So, that tells you it's all about the money. Unfortunately, I'm thinking they will just have to sink until we see any change.

EDIT: More updated news on Marvel/Sony dealings:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112646

#14 the greenman, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  15. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

This was an email sent by two people at Marvel. This came from Tom Cohen's email, who apparently works as an intermediate between Sony and Marvel. It has nothing to do with Sony.

16. RoryWilliams

That's pretty impressive considering it was sent by marvel.

17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Loaning two of their major characters to Sony is a pretty big move. If Sony is going to turn that down--and the chance to jump in on the Civil War arc--Marvel might as well stop playing nice and go for the throat to get all of the rights back.

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I kinda have to agree. If Sony isn't willing to share, even if Marvel offers a great deal, they should just simply buy the rights, assuming they have the money.

19. RoryWilliams

What exactly does "go for the throat" entail? If they don't sell there's nothing they can do about it short of just ponying up an outrageous sum of money.

20. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Sony is in a weak position right now. All Disney has to do is try to use their power to make that position worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.