1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Clip from "Halloween Moon":

• Like Like x 2
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if John Jameson turning into Man-Wolf will lead to his dad finally showing up in this cartoon :sweat:?

From what little we hear of him in this clip, I already prefer Kevin Shinick as Bruce Banner to Jesse Burch ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be as good a reason as any, in my opinion. Spider-Man's conflicts have already been effecting his business and employees but now it's his son in the crosshairs. I don't expect it but it would be cool.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. DoubleDango

DoubleDango New Member

I'm curious to see whether the various people turning into Man (or woman) wolves is connected to something supernatural (to fit in with the Halloween theme) or another Oscorp experiment gone awry. This show's formula indicates the latter, but they may change things up for a Halloween episode. I've also noticed that Miles isn't present in that clip. I wonder if he's just absent from that one scene for one reason or another, or perhaps they wanted to emphasize the Hulk being a guest star by having him be the only co-star as far as superheroes go this time around.

I have to admit, I've noticed that Disney XD does not seem to be treating this show with a lot of respect as far as PR goes. It gets obligatory mentions on social media whenever a new episode is about to air, but I can't even find many videos or a page for it on Disney XD's website without going to a separate website under Marvel HQ (all I can find are the origin shorts. To give you an idea, Ultimate Spider Man is advertised above it on the main website). In addition, I've noticed the show sporadically changes time slots on Saturday morning it airs, which is never good for a newly premiering show. And that's not even mentioning that one week when they randomly dropped 3 episodes on one day with NO fanfare. It went from airing at 7:00, to 7:30, to 8:00, to 8:30, to now 11:00? Ultimate Spider-Man, as I recall, had the same 11:00 Sunday morning timeslot throughout almost its entire run. I wouldn't be shocked to find out its underperformed in comparison to its predecessor (though, toy sales are the important thing, so i guess we'll have to see).

• Informative Informative x 1
    #424 DoubleDango, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought they were treating it pretty well honestly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DoubleDango

DoubleDango New Member

I will grant that pre-release, Disney XD did quite a lot to promote the show. They released a number of trailers and promos and the Origins shorts were a huge success on Youtube (at least 1 million views on each short is nothing to sneeze at). Debuting the first episode on Youtube was also a decent choice. Since then, however, as I detailed above, I haven't seen anywhere near the same amount of support as they showed back then, at least here in the U.S. I've observed that a constantly shifting air date is usually signed the network isn't comfortable with the way the show is performing at a particular time, but when you don't do much to indicate to your audience the time shift is occurring, it would be very easy to confuse your target audience. The lack of representation on the website is also a bad sign in my mind. I just don't see a lot of evidence the network is satisfied with the show's performance.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't keep much track of these things but I feel as though I see episodes on XD's schedule more than I've seen for Marvel's other recent shows.

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They seem to be promoting tomorrow's episode well enough...

9. DoubleDango

DoubleDango New Member

The cynical side of me wants to say that tomorrow's episode is getting extra promotion because it's tying into Disney XD's month-long Halloween event (explaining its presence in the general promo for said event, for instance). However, looking at the Zap2it listings, I can definitely concede that Marvel's Spider-Man does get a fair amount of re-runs during the week (and at decent times, too. 2 in the afternoon and 6 at evening are both decent times to draw viewers). I was too presumptuous in implying Disney had dropped the ball on the cartoon. Although, as a counter-point, the simple explanation for the greater amount of re-runs is in how new this cartoon is. It only debuted almost 2 months ago, so it goes without saying that they'd try to cement a strong viewer base with re-runs. The Avengers and Guardians cartoons, meanwhile, have been running for years, and since there not top-billed shows on the network (Like Star Vs, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb are/were), the network won't be as concerned with re-running them. I've seen a similar phenomenon where a new Cartoon Network show will get a ton of attention (Powerpuff Girls, Mighty Magiswords, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) only to drop off significantly in re-runs after a couple months go by and either a. the show's maintained an adequate viewer base, with potentially more re-runs to come to hype up new episodes if the series proves popular enough or b., the show has presumably either underperformed or just up to par, so they're scaling back on marketing and airtime.

10. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

It could always be worse. It could be treated like DC action cartoon on modern-day Cartoon Network.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Whatever I could say about Disney XD, they definitely treat their Superhero properties better then CN does.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. DoubleDango

DoubleDango New Member

Teen Titans Go notwithstanding. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Don't remind me. Poor Justice League Action.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

And apparently toyline isn't selling so DC probably won't put it on it's new streaming channel.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rounding up the news from NYCC via Newsarama's live coverage of the panel:
    https://www.newsarama.com/36823-nycc-17-marvel-animation.html

• Informative Informative x 4
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious to see how the Venom story will develop and how the Guardians will become involved :ack:.

I'm kind of glad we haven't really seen Joey Q have a meaningful role on the show yet :p.

"New tools" probably means new tech, though I wonder if "new abilities" implies Peter's powers might evolve to some degree o_O?

I'm guessing the "big comic story" is Spider-Island.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

So I'm 7 episodes in, surprisingly Disney Channel in Czech Republic/Hungary is this time fairly up to date, and my opinion on the show slightly grew and changed. I think half of the episodes later it's fair enough to start judging the show. So what do I think? In general I'm liking it more than I expected. It feels both familiar, with some references, and new, with some twists, at the same time and isn't visually that bad - the city backdrops in the symbiote episode are sweet. In some ways I find the show already better than Ultimate and in some ways worse. I'll wait to see what they do with Venom. That's somewhat become my quality meter.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Spider-Man crossing over with Guardians seems confusing unless they is some explanation. I suppose they'll imply the V-252 and the Klyntar are one and the same. Hopefully it's well done.

It will be interesting to see if Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission Breakout changes to the Marvel's Spider-Man animation like Avengers: Black Panther's Quest is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #438 Greg91, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm certainly curious to see how the Guardians will look in the show's art style :ack:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Spoiler warning:
    The German Marvel HQ YouTube channel posted a clip from "Scerwball Live". It's not in English, but if you're eager to see a Sneak Peek from the episode, here it is.

The episode is scheduled to air on October 28th in the US.

• Like Like x 4