1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the third installment of the Marvel's Spider-Man News and Discussion Thread, here on the Marvel Animation Forum! Keep up to date with any news about Marvel's newest animated series, and use this thread to discuss them in a civilized manner!

[​IMG]
    MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN
    Premieres August 19th, 2017 on Disney XD

*"Origin" Animated Shorts premiering July 24-29
    Marvel's Spider-Man series description:
    Marvel's Spider-Man cast and crew details:

Stay tuned for further developments!
    Comments?

Previous Discussion Threads:

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)
    "Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 2
    #1 RoyalRubble, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not a big fan of Joey Q but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that this role wasn't his idea

Is Ock deaged?

Now I'm thinking of how cool it might have been to hear Khary Payton as Power Man in USM. That cast would be great in villain roles.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spideyfan123

Spideyfan123 Member

Doc looks younger is that just me

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Well it was indeed Robbie Daymond like so many people had guessed. Good ears everyone. Same with those who guessed Max Mittelman as Harry.

Voice cast is on point but I'm leery on Joe Quesada having any significant role in the cast or in the story. With Stan Lee it felt more like honoring him, and Joe is not on that level for me, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

To reiterate what others have said, I bet Anya, Gwen, and Miles all attend Horizon and are not from alternate dimensions. It's much simpler to do, especially as this cartoon is supposed to be more of a back to basics Spidey show that won't go into the territory USM did. In other words this will be more of an USM show than the actual USM show turned out to be.

I wish this cartoon well, it looks better than USM but that's damning with faint praise. Until I see more substance I'm going to be keeping a good deal of skepticism about this production.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So, a lot to unpack here.

First, the voice cast:
    It's good to finally get confirmation about Robbie Daymond being Spider-Man, and it's cool to see him reprising the role from the Disk Wars anime :cool:.

I'm glad we're getting an actual voice actor to play Spidey in this, and I think Robbie can be a pretty good Peter Parker/Spider-Man, so long as he gets good material and direction, which I hope he does :).

If Daymond can really deliver in the role, I hope they get plenty of mileage out of him as animated Spidey ;).

I've never heard of Nadji Jeter before, so hopefully he's a good as Miles :).

His character design looks suitably...Miles-ish, I guess, though it seems like he'll be the bookish type on this show :ack:.

I've also never heard of Melanie Minichino before, so hopefully she's a good as Anya as well ;).

Also good to confirm that this isn't actually America Chavez :sweat:.

Nice to have Max Mittleman confirmed as Harry, and once again I think he'll do pretty great in the role so long as he gets good material and direction, which I hope he does :).

We've known about this since the show was announced, but Fred Tatasciore should be solid as Max Modell. It's definitely the kind of character he voices well ;).

I think Laura Bailey should be a great Gwen Stacy, though I hope she gets more to work with, character-wise, then she does as Black Widow. At least from the character design it looks like Gwen will be more spunky, which Laura excels at, and less the no-nonsense straight-man Black Widow is :anime:.

Nacy Linari has experience voicing mother figures so she should be a good fit for Aunt May, though I'm just glad she looks more like Aunt May and less like Marisa Tomei :p.

We already knew about this, but I am definitely curious to see how Oswalt sounds as Uncle Ben, especially since his character design looks a little more traditional then I was expecting :eek:.

This is probably the one casting I have to really kind of give the side-eye, since Scott Menville is a really unconventional choice for Doc Ock :confused:.

It looks like Ock is going to be much younger in this incarnation, so I guess it kind of makes sense, but if there was any Spider-Rogue I could see them de-aging to Peter's age, Doctor Octopus wasn't one of them o_O.

I'll give Menville as Ock a chance, but for now I'm just not sure how seriously I can take him as Doc Ock. Granted, I'm sure the same was probably said for Peter MacNicol in Spectacular Spider-Man, though that was a pretty definitive classic Doctor Octopus :ack:...

I'm not sure what's more surprising, John DiMaggio as The Jackal or that it appears the Jackal will be a major villain in this cartoon :eek:.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of voice DiMaggio comes up with for Warren. Hopefully he, and the character, are used effectively on the show :cool:.

Alastair Duncan as The Vulture should be pretty cool. He certainly has experience playing old dudes in Superhero cartoons ;).

To say I don't care for the idea of Joe Quesada as a character in a Spider-Man cartoon, especially given his treatment and opinion of the character, would be an understatement :rolleyes:.

Particularly if they're going to try and push him as a mentor for Peter, which just feels really weird o_O.

So...even when they've said this show is out-of-continuity with the other Marvel cartoons, there's still going to be continuity between them? I guess the continuity isn't the only inconsistent thing going on at Marvel Animation :rolleyes2:.

Though I guess by "connected" they mean the Symbiote will probably have the same alien origin as they have in Guardians of the Galaxy, though the way it's worded makes it sound like the Guardians will actually appear at some point o_O.

Peter fighting against the Symbiotes sound cool, and I'm curious to see who Vulture's "benefactor" is...Osborn? The Jackal :ack:?

So we've got official confirmation for Sandman and Hammerhead, as well as mentions of the Lizard :evil:.

I'm glad there's apparently going to be some real focus on Peter's double-life and his secret identity, given how that really fell by the wayside in USM :).

Definitely curious to see how they work in Hammerhead, since it implies we'll be seeing some crime bosses/mafia types pop up in the show :D.

"Osborn Academy?" Why does Norman Osborn need to have his own high school :sweat:?

That stuff about Peter having to keep Harry from turning evil is very interesting, since I imagine that'll be a very significant arc going forward, soI'm curious to see how that'll be handled. I wonder if harry might actually be the Green Goblin in this cartoon, rather then Norman :eek:?

"Sinister Six, Go!" :proud:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Scott Menville as Doc Ock reminds of that Justice League episode (Wild Cards , I think it's called) where he and the other Titan actors voiced the Royal Flush Gang quite well, and they're usually known for voicing good guys. I remember one of Scott Menville's roles as a teenager was Red Herring on A Pup Named Scooby Doo, though I guess it's not a good comparison since Red is just a bully while Doc Ock isn't

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I had no idea he was Red Herring. It has been forever since I've seen the show though. I'm sure I've probably heard it before but I can't remember hearing Scott voice an adult. As I think of it, I can kind of remember his voice from live action shows I've seen him in and that wasn't as exaggerated as Robin in TTG or anything.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Watching the intro for the Big Hero 6 cartoon, I'm still disappointed that Marvel cartoons don't have more significant intro sequences :(.
    I had honestly forgotten that Scott Menville was Red Herring, but now that I think about it I can totally hear it :p.

There was that one time he voiced Nightwing in the original Teen Titans cartoon, but I doubt his Ock is going to sound anything like that :sweat:.

I wouldn't be surprised if his Ock is in-line with his more crazy, comedic, Robin in TTG!.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

I think the main designs of the four spider characters look good. I wonder who the character designer is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Character designs look good but I still hate the backgrounds

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Wild Cards" from Justice League is exactly what I was thinking of, when I mentioned the other voice actors from Teen Titans should be used for other villains on this show.

If they want to allude to Menville's role as Red Herring from A Pup Named Scooby-Doo they could have Spidey suspecting and accusing him of being responsible for everything he has to deal with on the show :p (he kind of was involved in pretty much everything during the last season of USM).

Menville was also Ma-Ti on Captain Planet. Forgot about that one.

The supporting cast looks pretty good though I can't say much about the voice actors because I'm not really familiar with most of them (not even Spidey's actor). But I hope some other characters who haven't been revealed yet will get a chance to appear on the show - we know Black Cat will appear at least once, but I'd like to see Mary-Jane or Jameson. The villains announced so far sound good

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Lol I really should look into Menville voice roles more. Didn't even realize he was Red or Mai Ti

• Like Like x 1
  13. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I think it's because Big Hero 6 (both the movie and cartoon) is an interesting position. The other Marvel cartoons are being marketed as Marvel cartoons that happen to be owned by Disney, hence the meddling from Marvel. The Big Hero 6 movie had some Marcel crew menbers, but was otherwise produced only by Disney, hence why there's a bit more leeway to do anything due to it being obscure. Big Hero 6 is being treated as a Disney property that just happens to use Marvel characters. Plus, Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle know how to handle movie properties in order to help them grow a new identity, like with Aladdin, Hercules, Madagascar Penguins, Monsters Vs Aliens, and the 2015 Tinkerbell movie.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 SweetShop209, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just realized that, outside Aunt May and Modell, there doesn't look like any supporting characters who are civilians who will probably stick to being civilians over the course of the show's run :ack:.

That makes me kind of sad :(.
    I understand that Big Hero 6 isn't being handled as a Marvel property. It's just still disappointing to see Marvel not giving their cartoons fun and cool intro sequences :sad:.

15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There's also Joe Quesada and Uncle Ben, but that's not saying much (especially the latter).

I wonder what the plan for Harry descending into evil is, with no real confirmation his dad will appear on the show yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There's also the fact that the promo art shows the Green Goblin among the villains, so there's a possibility it might be Harry...

• Like Like x 1
  17. General Mike

General Mike Member

He was Red? I didn't realize he was that old. Either way, Menville has one of those voices, where I just know it's him, so I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to get past it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do kind of want to see this version of Ock form the Sinister Six (which is probably inevitable at this point) just to see if it seems impressive that a kid manages to corral multiple Supervillains into a group designed to kill Spider-Man or silly that all these grown men are taking orders from a teenager :p.

Though if Ock is a teenager, I wonder if this might actually be a version of Doctor Octopus who isn't actually a doctor? Unless he's a "Doogie Howser" type who graduated from college at a young age, but then I really have to wonder why they would go in that direction with Otto Octavius of all people :confused:?

Though I guess we should probably start counting the number of villains they de-age in this cartoon, since that trend seems to be continuing with both Alistair Smythe and now Doctor Octopus...

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

There seems to be a lot of de-aged supervillains, why do I have a feeling Harry will be Green Goblin this time. Especially considering that "road of evil". It's odd how we keep hearing about Peter being this insecure nerd that is going through real problems and yet, that's not what the teasers show. I guess the newest teaser shows this in a tongue-in-cheek sort of manner. Maybe it was a sarcastic reply to my message. It's also interesting because the song itself is about being put down by people but getting back up. I have a strange feeling that this will be a theme..especially early in the show. The fact that the symbiote appears so early sort of supports the statement Wacker made about a "growing role". Speaking of which where has he been?

• Like Like x 1
    #19 Peter Parker, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

He's out of the animation dept. I think he said that he's not updating his Tumblr anymore.

I really hope that villains like Ock aren't being deaged.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1