1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

From what I have heard, it's how KombatMaster described it, it's kind of like, Spectacular Spider-Man's feel but with Avengers EMH writing.

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if we can really judge the writing quality yet when there's only been a brief snippet of the show released to con-goers.

Hoping the quality is on par with EMH or Spectacular seems like just wishful thinking. Wishful thinking I hope turns out to be true, but wishful thinking nonetheless :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I feel like this show has the potential to be popular, last long and be smart... if done right. My main issue with Ultimate was the 4th wall and amount of characters, especially in later episodes, which was just off putting. It got annoying pretty fast and some jokes or puns came off as a bit lame. With these issues hopefully out of the way, despite not entirely liking the reset approach, I think we can look forward to a good show. The only problem I can think of right now is the show relying too much on the live film and the overall writing. I hope it won't be just a basic retelling of the same old and it will manage to surprise us with something original and new every now and then. And of course my secret wish is that Venom won't suck.

On a side note, you think we'll ever see again something as unique as Unlimited? Either in terms of visuals, I wouldn't mind a rough comic look, or a different story and setting?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still pulling for a Spider-Man 2099 cartoon ;).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spideyfan123

Spideyfan123 New Member

Something as unique as Spiderman Unlimited on Disney XD I seriously

6. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

• Informative Informative x 4
    #46 thisguyisnotcool, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

The promo art is by Patrick Brown

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Wow this look good... and mostly based on comics (except Vulture), nice!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Interesting stuff. I thought Anya would appear here based on Wacker's Tumblr answers. I'm not sure how I feel about more Spider heroes in a 'back-to-basics' Spider-Man show. I guess it depends on how they're used and how frequent they appear. Are they main characters or just make guest appearances?

As for the villains, they definitely look like the classic counterparts (save for the movie looking Vulture). In fact, all of these villains have been used in the Spider-Man movies. Hopefully we see some fresh faces as well (i.e. villains who barely or didn't appear in USM like Chameleon and Mysterio, or villains who aren't as well-known like Crime Master and Overdrive).

It's nice to know the promotional art is by Patrick Brown. I haven't heard of him, but his work here looks very nice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Loving that Goblin design! Very SS esqe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

My only complaint about the villains, I would have preferred Sandman and Kraven over Venom and Green Goblin, in case they are The Sinister Six... and I hope Vulture isn't related to Stark :p

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

As detailed in that ComicVine thread and a little bit here, I really really really wish people would stop holding Spectacular Spider-Man in such a high regard that it's at the expense of different interpretations. Yes, SSM was more accurate to the comics, but I don't expect or want future Spider-Man cartoons to imitate it.

I just want people to look back on this show and Ultimate with infinitely less "I miss Spectacular" bias in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm starting to wonder if Marvel really understands what "back-to-basics" for Spider-Man actually means :sweat:.

I mean, it's cool to see Anya there, especially since Wacker has been teasing her for a while, and it means the genders will be balanced among the Spiders, but I can't help but think three other Spiders is pushing it in what's supposed to be a "year one" Peter Parker cartoon, particularly given the other Spiders are traditionally much younger then Peter is by the time they meet him o_O.

So I wonder how this is not another "team" show or Web Warriors. Are Miles, Gwen, and Anya not permanent sidekicks for Peter? Do they go off and do their own thing so Peter can be more of a solo hero? If there was only one or two other Spiders I could see that, but three :ack:?

It's also interesting that their take on Anya's Spider-Girl costume has Silk's color scheme. I wonder if she'll go by Spider-Girl or Arana in this :)?

And it's kind of weird that we have Gwen and Anya confirmed for this show but not MJ or any of Peter's other civilian supporting cast :sad:.

The villain art has all the "usual suspects" as far as Spidey Rogues go, though I'm surprised Shocker isn't in there, and I guess this confirms we'll be getting Goblin, Ock, and Venom (the holy trifecta of Spider-Man villains) all in the first season :evil:.

Ordinarily I would say that image of Spidey facing down all those villains is pretty epic..but then I realize he probably has a bunch of other Spiders right behind him, so it's a little less epic :p

Overall I like all the villain designs quite a bit. Very stylized, but still "classic" and with enough unique touches to help them standout ;).

Vulture's design is obviously very movie-inspired, though with the wings detached from the arms unlike the MCU suit and classic Vulture. He actually looks a lot like his upgraded design in season 4 of USM :cool:.

I like the art style and designs as depicted in this promo art, but I think we should expect by now that how things are depicted in the promo art is not necessarily an indicator of what the show will actually look like in animation :rolleyes2:...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Honestly I didnt really care how accurate Spec spiderman was to the comic the reason why I hold it to such high regard because it had great writing and fantastic fight scenes

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And showed you can have both while still being true to the comics ;).

• Like Like x 1
  17. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

To be fair they did took a fair liberties

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

True, but the vast majority of it was pretty much straight-out-of-the comics, and they did consolidate some concepts/characters together to make things feel more cohesive, which I think is fine :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

"True to the comics" is a fairly subjective term when you take into account the many different interpretations there have been of Spider-Man through out the years, including within Earth-616. I know people love to throw the "4th Wall" thing Ultimate did as the "breaking point" for "accuracy", but then again, who cares? You can't hold that as an "objective" fault against the USM version of the character, especially when also comparing it to Spectacular's interpretation, without sounding biased. Spidey didn't have organic web-shooters until the Sam Raimi films, nor did he ever depend on Tony Stark making him a refined suit until the MCU version. The same way the Ninja Turtles have vastly different incarnations over time, the same can be said for Spider-Man.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I never complained about the 4th wall breaking because it wasn't "accurate" to the comics, I complained about it because it really didn't add much of value to the show and just didn't feel like Spider-Man.

Now, I admit when it comes to adaptions I tend to be a bit of a purist and want things to be as close to the source material as possible, but failing that I just hope that whatever changes or additions they make stay true to the character and work in a way that's still true to the comics more or less.

Stuff like the organic web-shooters and the Starksuit, for instance, while sensible for the universes they inhabit, also kind of devalue Peter since it takes away from his accomplishments (making his own web-shooters and being a self-sufficient Superhero). So those are changes I'm not crazy about.