1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

More stuff from Wacker's Tumblr:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I'd totally be up for Moon Girl in animation and I like that new characters such as Moon Girl, Kamala Khan, and Riri Williams are finding audience members that they relate to.

Amadeus Cho, America Chavez, Kate Bishop, etc. really have growing fan-bases from the comics so I hope other media pick up on this besides the mobile and Lego games (plus Amadeus was in Ultimate Spider-Man, Lego Avengers Reassembled, and Avengers Confidential).

I definitely think this show will pull from Dan Slott's run and the classic Spider-Man comics. I'm interested to see what they use (like the Big Time suit, perhaps?).

I hope Spider-Island doesn't repeat Ultimate Spider-Man's tendency to turn most of Peter Parker's supporting characters into Spider heroes. If Peter is friends with Gwen and Miles, I'd be fine with them getting powers (if temporarily perhaps), but I'd prefer MJ (if she's in the show) and Harry to stay the same.

I hope the Daily Bugle has a solid role in this show including the staff and Peter's relation to them.

Occasional team-ups sounds fine by me and out of the list of Spider-Island characters, Jackal makes the most sense to me. Of course, I expect MJ in the show as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like Moon Girl, so I'd be interested to see her show up in animation, though not necessarily in this show specifically. I kind of feel like they might go overboard in portraying her as the "smartest person in the world" and make Peter look bad :sweat:.

Well, good to know we can expect some more news soon :).

I love how that one question just reiterates comments Wacker's already made and he just runs with it :p.

I'm really happy to hear that the Bugle will be in the new cartoon. I was really worried they'd just completely ignore it. Hopefully it's more focal here then it was in USM and Peter actually has some connection to it. And hopefully we get to see all the Bugle gang in sizeable roles as well :anime:.

I'm really going to be interested to see just how much of a "solo" series this ends up being with the addition of Miles, Gwen, and the obvious inclusion of team-ups. USM, to me, felt like "a team-up show with solo stories" so I would hope this series can differentiate itself from that o_O.

And I guess it's possible that, even once Miles and Gwen get their powers, they won't be attached to the hip to Spidey or be direct sidekicks to him so it can still accommodate more solo stories focused on Peter ;).

I can't help but wish the MJ part was accurate, if only because I really hope she's on the show :ack:.

So it sounds like the Symbiote (and Venom by extension) wil lhave a sizeable role in this series :evil:.

• Like Like x 3
  4. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Of course one has to one wonder why they just won't make a Young Avengers /Avengers Academy.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I'm not sure those characters from either series is that popular outside of the comics themselves. I don't often hear people talk about them, and with the popularity of the Avengers, I'm sure they want to focus on the main team of heroes instead.

The closest thing was the young S.H.I.E.L.D. trainees/S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy in Ultimate Spider-Man. I suppose this new Spider-Man show could have a version of them but it would probably be like S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy with different young heroes and Spider-Man on the team instead of actual members like Finesse and Hazmat or Wiccan and Speed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do kind of wonder how a proper Young Avengers/New Warriors cartoon would do, even if it's unlikely Marvel Animation would push for that given it would be very different from the movies and may not feature any "A-listers."

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Of course they could always make a cartoon based on the mobile game

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Based on the low sales and cancellation of their comic series, they're not even that popular with most (NOT ALL) comic fans. That all being said, just because most comic fans don't find them popular and won't buy their comics, doesn't mean that they wouldn't/couldn't become popular with non comic book readers and have a very successful TV show or movie based off of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I would expect a new X Men cartoon before Young Avengers imo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ordinarily I'd wholeheartedly agree with you, but with the movie rights situation being what it is, you can never know for sure :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I understand that, but I don't think the Young Avengers are likely to get their own show any time soon.

Meanwhile Marvel is making efforts to work with Fox on Legion and the Gifted show. They also announced a wave of the X-Men comics in April as part of their X-Men ResurreXion line to literally resurrect the brand.

While the animation folk might not have anything immediately in the works, a new X-Men show is looking more likely.

Anyway, this is a Spider-Man thread so let's redirect the conversation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. KombatMaster94

I'm optimistic for this show and everything confirmed so far looks good, but with Wacker and Loeb's involvement does anyone else feel this way? One of his answers mentioned Marsha Griffin guiding the show and since she's supervising producer I'm hoping it works like Josh Fine guided Avengers: EMH.

I know I mentioned this earlier, but I didn't get enough answers for it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

I have a theory for the main plot. I think Peter is gonna start as a street level hero using a cheap suit and small pieces of junk from Horizon High tech to create minor things like web shooters at first but then as he learns more from Max Modell and 'grows' his suit will improve, as well as his tech. Max Modell will be a sort of mentor to Peter and will be be a big part in Peter's technological advancements overtime.

• Like Like x 1
    #473 Peter Parker, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really hope this show doesn't go overboard with Spider-Man's tech, or give Peter a mentor who'll just hand his tech to him :sweat:.

I mean, with Dan Slott involved and the likely merchandising they'll want from this show, the former might not be possible but I guess I'll just hope it's not done egregiously :ack:.

Though speaking of mentors, I'll be curious to see how big a role Captain Stacy plays into this show given Gwen is also going to be in it :).

I'm interested in seeing what kind of relationship he might have with Peter and Spider-Man, and if it'll be the classic dynamic between them or more akin to the Denis Leary take on the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Be cool if Spidey's complicated relationship with the NYPD is back to the forefront in this cartoon ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's not much, but this interview with Skottie Young and Stephen Wacker has some brief stuff about the new Spider-Man cartoon:

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, given the quality of animation for other in-house Marvel productions, I hope that this new look they're going with works well and that it does indeed look "modern," "clean," "cool," and "sleek," because that would definitely be very Spectacular-esque ;).

I'd actually prefer they pull from the Lee, Ditko, and Romita runs while making nods to Dan Slott's run, rather then the other way around :sweat:.

By "widening out" the main cast, I'm guessing he means more Spider-heroes over Spidey's supporting cast. We'll probably have a new Web Warrior's by season 2 :rolleyes2:.

17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

The clip shown at WonderCon shows Peter using a homemade costume that resembles his earlier homemade costume from the MCU. He chases down some robbers and has a flashback for Uncle Ben teaching him about with great power comes great responsibility. After he stops the robbers from getting away, he's attacked by Vulture. Vulture has a fancy high-tech set of armor here.

• Like Like x 2
  18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like the same clip shown last year at NYCC. I wonder if it will be released online this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I definitely think that would be great. The artwork for the show supports their statements.
    We've gotten plenty of stories from throughout Spider-Man's animated appearances based on Lee, Ditko, and Romita's runs. Why not see Slott's run, which hasn't really been mined in animation so far? I know you aren't a fan of Slott's run, but you never know if you'll enjoy this show's take on his stories. Just imagine Spider-Man's stealth suit from Big Time... :D
    I don't think so. Wacker has been pretty clear that this is the beginning of Peter's days of being Spider-Man. Only the Spider-Island event seems to invite other spiders, being Miles and Gwen (which was kind of previewed in Return to the Spider-Verse Part 4 from USM). Otherwise, I think supporting cast members from various Spider-Man comics will be used. We already know they'll mix the old (Harry Osborn) with the new (Max Modell).
    I would be totally up for it, but I wouldn't be sad if it doesn't happen. We'll see finished footage soon enough. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad that we'll be getting a teched-out Vulture instead of another mutant Vulture :anime:.

It would also be nice if it was able to look good in animation compared to the other Marvel cartoons :sweat:.

I think Ultimate Spider-Man took quite a bit from Slott's run on Spider-Man, particularly when Wacker came onboard, and was generally very evocative of that run as a whole.

Obviously I admit to some bias on my part since I'm not a huge fan of Slott's take on Spider-Man, which I feel like we got plenty of in something like Ultimate Spider-Man, so I'll just hope that despite the show mining from his run that it will feel more like classic Spider-Man ala Lee, Ditko, and Romita then Slott's Spider-Man :).

The stealth suit would be cool to see, but at the same time I also don't want them to go overboard with Peter's tech in this cartoon (though they probably will) :ack:.
    I feel like the way Wacker phrased that meant in regards to expanding "teams" or the show's Superhero cast, so I could only think he'd include Spider-Man under that umbrella if he was referring to the other Spider-heroes in the cast, like Miles and Gwen.

And if this were to continue in subsequent seasons, I imagine we'd get even more Spider-heroes, to where the cast would start resembling the Web Warriors of season 4 of USM.

Of course this isn't guaranteed, but I certainly think it's likely, especially when, in-spite of this being promoted as a show chronicling Peter's early days as a rookie Spider-Man, they already seem set to shake things up with stuff like Spider-Island and the inclusion of Miles and Gwen as heroes.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.