1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I think the shorts worked for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Guardians of the Galaxy because they were team shows with multiple members who could be shown off. Marvel's Spider-Man is currently their only solo hero show, so I don't think the shorts would fit here.

Plus we are getting the Rocket/Groot and Ant-Man/Wasp shorts on the way. With Marvel's Spider-Man premiering this summer, it's not too far of a wait since the show's announcement, unlike Guardians.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I was thinking of something like little short humor based shorts (more long the lines of something like the Funko shorts or DC Nation shorts than GOTG or AEMH) to display the new Spider-Man and probably get a feel for the personality or humor out there before the series starts but yeah something like that isn't necessary at all. They can do all that with a good trailer or pilot and don't need much world buildng before the real story starts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Updates from Wacker's Tumblr:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well of course Flash would be his favorite, Wacker made him Venom under his tenure ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Best Spider-Man ever huh? I remember the same things being said about USM.

Still I'm very optimistic. Things have gotten nothing but better since Wacker has been put in charge imho.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

Honestly, I have nothing against a new Spider-Man's series, but I truly wanted to see one more season of USM. Mainly, because I wanted to see more of MJ as Spider-Woman.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I personally just want to see more of MJ in general on a Spider-Man cartoon, so if the new show does that much, I'll be satisfied :).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I really expected more of her while going into USM but what I expected was pretty different from what we got, all around. I don't have high hopes on seeing a lot from her or the rest of Peter's supporting cast but it would be nice.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. KombatMaster94

Is that picture from the new show?

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Nah, that was from USM's test footage.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I don't want to see MJ as Spider-Woman, I want love interest MJ, supporting friend MJ, after all she's Spider-Man's Lois Lane.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't even know USM had test footage outside those animatics we got a while back...

13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of funny in hindsight how the USM test footage seemed to imply a relationship between Spidey and MJ considering how the show played out.

I never really cared for MJ as Spider-Woman though I can see why USM went that route to get her back in the spotlight for a while. I wish the new show would focus on the non super-powered characters in Spidey's life so a more normal version of MJ could appear again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

The test footage was a big reason I looked forward to the show. They tried to keep it under wraps and con exclusive but it leaked at C2E2. The only clear official shots were what was spliced into the USM sizzle reel.

I still wish they officially released it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also hope Miles and Gwen apparently playing prominent roles in this show, and as other Spider-heroes, doesn't lead to less focus on Peter's double-life as Spider-Man and his traditional (non-powered) supporting cast :ack:.

I also hope Marvel Animation's "no romance" mandate and emphasis on Superheroing doesn't prevent this series from showcasing a variety of women in Peter's life and on the show, outside Aunt May and Gwen of course ;).

16. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

which supporting characters are going to appear in the show apart from Gwen, Miles, MJ and Harry, Anyone know??

17. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I don't think anything has been revealed outside of Wacker's Tumblr so for now, those characters (plus Max Modell) are the only supporting characters we know about. Actually, I don't think MJ has been confirmed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. beyond94

beyond94 Member

With The New #SpiderMan animated show coming to DisneyXD I would truly like to see the producers and voice director bring in actress #SabrinaCarpenter who is a series voice regular in #MiloMurphysLaw cast as the voice of Felicia Hardy AKA Black Cat which never appeared in #UltimateSpiderMan. The writers should make a fun kind of villain who has a crush on Peter but loves to get him and his allies in trouble. Hopefully we do get to see her after she was done so well in the Greg Weisman Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and voiced so well by Tricia Helfer. I hope we see that in the new show as well

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. KombatMaster94

Does anyone believe Marsha Griffin has major control for the show like Josh Fine and Chris Yost had for Avengers: EMH? And if so, you think the show would be good for that? Because based on her working on Transformers Prime I'd believe it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that's more Wacker's (and maybe Slott's) role in things, though from the sounds of it Wacker and the main writers for each of the show's do have a very extensive back-and-forth during the creative process :).

• Agree Agree x 2