1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Yeah, I totally agree about the similarity to WB's Green Lantern marketing blitz when the 2011 movie came out.

A return to form within different platforms like a new console Spider-Man game, new Spider-Man comics (including a Free Comic Book Day feature), new animated series and new movie all point to an exciting year for Spider-Man (assuming the game comes out this year).

Also, can I add how funny this response was from Wacker's Tumblr?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Well the "back to the basic" thing is somewhat debatable. It's back to the basics in that he's no longer leading a SHIELD team or a group of Spider-Men but we're also getting two other Spider-characters and they've hinted it's possible other recent characters like Silk may show up. And of course flat out saying we will see Spider-Island in some form.

I have no idea if Vulture actually looks like his movie counterpart but there is no way him being the first villain announced is a coincidence, and the stuff about him attending "Horizon High School" or whatever sounds suspiciously similar to him attending a science high school in Homecoming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. KombatMaster94

I've got two questions for now: first of all, has Stephen Wacker ever lied on his Tumblr? And obviously there should be romance in a back to basics Spider-Man show, but you think there will be any?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Didn't Wacker once state or heavily imply that there were plans for future seasons of Ultimate Spider-Man or that it wouldn't end with season 4? That's the closest to an outright lie or fudging of the truth that I can think of out of him.

I'll be genuinely surprised if there's any kind of romance on this show. The Marvel cartoons have been downplaying that element across the board for a while now, and Wacker has been emphasizing "friendship" as a major theme in this series.

Gwen will probably be just "one of the boys" so it isn't an issue, and we have no idea about what other female characters might show up and if we'll see Mary Jane at all...

5. KombatMaster94

I'm pleased to hear Wacker doesn't usually lie, but what do you mean by "Gwen being one of the boys", though?

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just that she'll probably be close enough to Peter and Miles, and not that outwardly feminine, that they won't really think of her as a girl or love interest so much as just a friend and fellow hero.

7. KombatMaster94

If the show really is a back-to-basics Spidey show, they should probably have some form of romance. I'm honestly hoping for it, but it's too early to know. It may be a rumor from what I've heard, but Liz Allen could be Spidey's girlfriend in Homecoming so the show could probably do the same if M.J.'s not Spidey's girlfriend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member

How come you think Wacker would lie? If anything, I think some of his answers regarding Ultimate Spider-Man's future were vague to not reveal it was ending and a new show was on the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I miss Black Cat, I miss Gansters stories arcs in Marvel Animations and I like the idea of a company performing questionable experiments with governments and crime lords.

Update:

i believe this are the new design of the characters in the show.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

what do you guys think?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    #429 bigdaddy313, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys appeared on the new show.

Interestingly, browsing through the Hasbro site I also found what looks like the same Doc Ock and Sanman toys with "USM vs the Sinister Six" packaging (here and here)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Interesting that's unfortunate cause those designs look good for the new show.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I think I remember that Rhino toy popping up a while back and leading to assumptions we would be getting a new Rhino in season 4 of USM :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KombatMaster94

Apparently this video features some details and production art for the new show. It's in Spanish so I'm not sure what they're saying.

• Like Like x 3
  14. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's good art though, and I wouldn't mind that kind of art style for a Spider-Man cartoon (so long as there was a good budget to back it up) :).

Though it's easy to tell it's not for the new show because the one glimpse of Spidey we have indicates we're not getting the MCU suit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

She makes very fluid/lively animations. This liveliness/aliveness and added effects would be amazing. Judging from her style, I can imagine this series with a very light hearted feel and good looking action scenes or just good looking scenes with just movement in general. It seems she draws Peter Parker the same every time. This could be how he looks, maybe.

• Like Like x 3
    #436 Peter Parker, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

That art is great. I'd be so on board for something like that and it would be such a breath of fresh air.

Hopefully, I can say the same when we get a look at what they did for this show. I'm just reminded of really liking the style of the original GOTG test footage and then being a bit disappointed when the show looked pretty much like what they were already doing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Really? The Guardians test footage didn't look too different from Flash animation in my eyes. Some of the animation in the shorts looked sharper to me though.

Anyway, I kind of hope the new Spider-Man show has artwork similarly well designed to the fan art posted above.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Not the animation (which I think they said was all done by one in-house animator) but the stylised look and designs of the surroundings and everything else. It didn't feel like the house style to me, which the main series does, and I just thought it was interesting. The shorts felt closer to the house style but almost through an anime lens.

Thinking of shorts, it wouldn't be too shabby if they had something like those to get people prepped for this show.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    #439 Rick Jones, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really liked when EMH did their Micro-Series and Guardians did those shorts, so I wouldn't mind Marvel Animation doing more with that for their shows :).

Not really sure how it would work for this show, other then maybe introducing the supporting cast and Peter's relationship with them prior to the premier? Maybe showcase some of the villains Spidey will be facing? Or maybe even cover their version of the origin?

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.