Marvel's Spider-Man "A Day In The Life" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 2, 2017.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man" - Rate and discuss this episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch Marvel's Spider-Man! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 7:00AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Spider-Man "A Day In The Life"
    Episode Debut - September 2nd, 2017
    Written by - Mike Fasolo
    Directed by - Dan Duncan

Spider-Man must stop Black Cat from committing a spree of thefts while still keeping his school obligations.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's still not perfect but I'm really appreciating what they're trying with this series. The 81 series had an episode devoted to a cat and mouse chase between Black Cat and Spidey, and The New Animated Series had something similar as well, but this still managed to feel tonally different from other Spider-Man series (at least from my perspective). The animation is probably just growing on me, and probably the same as it has been, but with this episode, I felt as though I could definitely see how this style should work. I hope they keep improving and by season 2, we can, honestly to goodness, have a pretty good looking show. I liked Grey Griffin as Black Cat. From my biased eyes, the lady's done no wrong since her days as Frankie and Azula. Having watched both new episodes back to back, a good portion of the dialogue really stood out to me in a not so good way. It's one of the weak spots and I hope it improves though I'm still really enjoying the show so far. Anya seems to really have a mad on for Peter. Much like Harry's for Spider-Man, it doesn't feel fully justified and I know this has sometimes been the case with some grudges in the franchise, but it's not really endearing her as a character so far.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

So what was the "Has nobody ever questioned your..." line directed at Max in reference to?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Warren was trying to find some common ground with Max and asking if no one ever questioned his methods.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

This was the first episode I LOVED. The "Origin" episode and the first three episodes were all strong, but they each had a few minor problems to work out. IMO, this episode feels like the show hit it's groove.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was really cool to see the Spider-Tracers make their debut and prove integral to the plot :cool:.

I thought Black Cat was a lot of fun in this episode. Obviously they toned down her sexiness quite a bit, but she was still a pretty attractive thief with a lively personality that can give Spidey a run for his money, and it was great to see such a major Spider-Man character make a return to animation :D.

I also thought Grey Griffin did a great job as Black Cat, though I guess I can't say I'm surprised since she has plenty of experience playing female, cat-themed, thieves in form-fitting black outfits after voicing Catwoman in numerous video games ;).

I wonder how old Black Cat is supposed to be here? She seemed to have the air and experience of an older woman, but the physical build and tastes of a teenage girl. She also was about the same height as Spidey so I'm guessing she can't be that much older then him o_O.

I know Marvel Animation is generally averse to romance but it was still kind of weird to not see any major flirting going on between Spidey and Black Cat given their typical dynamic. She didn't even call him "Spider" in an affectionate way once in the entire episode :eek:.

Although given she seemed more interested in him after he had caught her, and she looked to be escaping custody at the end, maybe we'll see their relationship evolve into it's traditional status later on :anime:?

I do wonder how she got her powers, and how much the show might dive into her background, since I'm assuming they're some kind of genetic mutation...

I'll be honest, with how clumsy Peter has been in past episodes, I wasn't sure whether it was Black Cat's bad luck powers that was effecting him or just his general klutziness as Spider-Man :shrug:.

What is Anya's problem with Peter? Is it because he seems like such a flake or is this all stemming from his tinkering with her experiment (which, y'know, saved the day?) in the first episode :mad:?

I really don't have a clue what this show is doing with Otto. Not only is he Peter's teacher, but he's also a teenager, but who also acts like an adult, but looks like a teenager. It just all seems unnecessary :confused:.

Although I guess it is kind of funny that the one teacher who won't give Peter a break will also end up becoming one of his greatest enemies :rolleyes2:.

It was cool to see Peter unknowingly meeting the Jackal in his human form, and getting to see a little more of what Raymond Warren is like and what his deal is :general:.

It was interesting to learn that he was a disgraced scientist purported to have some dubious ethics, beneath his friendly demeanor, though that's not all that surprising given what we've seen of The Jackal :evil:.

It's also interesting that he's basically a fusion of the two Warren brothers, since he teached at ESU (like Miles) while he's also a teaches at Midtown (like Raymond) :).

I guess gene-splicing is only a little removed from outright cloning, though the former is usually Curt Connors' deal (though The Jackal isn't a stranger to it either) :ack:.

So...not only is the Aleksei Systevich Rhino a teenager here, but he is also another super-smart kid going to Horizon High with Peter. Okay, this is starting to get ridiculous :sweat:.

Wow, we're only four episodes into a Spider-Man cartoon and the Symbiote already shows up? That must be a new record. Though Max says he got it from NASA, so I'm just curious exactly where they got it from (especially since John Jameson isn't old enough to be bringing it back from a space-flight) :moon2:.

• Like Like x 1
    #6 Frontier, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder what stopped Peter from telling Max about the break-in. Was he afraid of being exposed or being blamed? He was taking on way too much, and not doing a particularly great job at any of it, so I'm not surprised to see Otto get all hard-nosed with him.

Speaking of Otto, I hope his youth clues us into some part of his character eventually, or this change will definitely feel arbitrary and like it was done for a quick joke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess he just didn't want to go through the trouble of having to explain the break-in, how he knew about it, or risk getting blamed for it even if Max would probably have given him the benefit of the doubt :ack:.

He's just lucky he managed to get it back by the end of the day :sweat:.
    The only way I can see it being relevant is to add more fuel to his superiority complex, but so far that hasn't been the case...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This was the best episode yet. Black Cat is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains/allies. I missed seeing her in Ultimate Spider-Man. Grey Delisle was very amusing choice as the role. Showing Peter try to balance his life with being a student and Spider-Man was great to watch and I liked some of the references like Mr. Slott. Too bad the 'on fleek' comment was included. Years from now, I assume that term will be dated and it's cringe worthy to me now. Otherwise, great stuff with a nice light and fun tone.
    The symbiote was in the fourth episode of Ultimate Spider-Man as the main threat unlike this show (and the first episode of Spider-Man Unlimited via Venom and Carnage if that counts). I thought that was really early.

• Like Like x 2
    #9 Greg91, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fun episode. I liked this version of Black Cat. I guess after voicing the likes of Catwoman and Magpie, playing Black Cat was the next logical step for Grey DeLisle-Griffin. :p Even though they didn't really explain much about her, they still used her bad luck powers which have rarely been featured in cartoons before. Her interactions with Spidey were pretty good and I am guessing we haven't seen the last of her yet. Especially if she is indeed working for someone else as Spidey presumed at the end.

It was pretty cool how much stuff this episode had going on, apart from the Black Cat scenes. Like Peter trying to lead a typical day, a proper introduction to Raymond Warren, the on-going investigation regarding Harry, foreshadowing Rhino's appearance, etc. I thought it was a little early for the symbiote to already be on Earth (since it is apparently supposed to have its alien origin here) but it's nice to see some build-up to its inevitable bond with Spidey.

All in all, a pretty great episode. I think the dialogue still needs a little work (especially when it comes to the kids) but other than that, this was enjoyable enough and pretty intriguing as well, at times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sliver X

Sliver X Member

I hope SpiderCat moments happens too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was also really happy to see Black Cat appear, especially since this was a much more in-character portrayal for her compared to her depiction in the current comics :).

Now Mary Jane is the only major Spidey love interest yet to appear on the show...

I'm glad we're getting plenty of focus on Peter and his life outside being Spider-Man. I really missed that kind of stuff in Ultimate Spider-Man :anime:.

I forget the Symbiote popped up that early in USM, though it still feels kind of early to be introducing it now :ack:.

But at least this time it looks like we'll be getting a proper Black Suit saga :cool:.
    I also think it's likely she'll appear again given she started to seem interested in Spider-Man by the end of the episode, so we might see their relationship developed in the future. I hope we don't have to wait too long for Black Cat's next appearance :D.

I think it's likely she was working for Osborn since he seems to be the mastermind behind all these tech thefts, from the Vulture, to Smythe, and now trying to obtain the Symbiote from Horizon. Though I don't think he would have wanted a rare comic book or sports car :sweat:.

I thought it was interesting that we never learned Black Cat's real identity, so I wonder if that's something that we'll see Peter learn in a later episode and as they develop her character more? Maybe their next meeting will be out-of-costume :proud:?

I hope we see her start calling him "Spider" soon...

• Like Like x 3
    #12 Frontier, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

That may be the point though. A nerdy kid using slang no one uses anymore is just that much nerdier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

There is just one thing I did not like about this episode: Spidey dancing in the street after catching Felicia.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, he was finally able to catch her after a long day. I think he earned a physical display of how happy he was :p.

Although I was a little more bothered by his constant bad cat puns (and I think the police agreed with me) :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Should he have said "Bye Felicia?"

Y'all can ban me now. I had fun.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  17. General Mike

General Mike Member

Fios and my DVR had this and the next episode numbered wrong so I watched them out of sequence. Really liked Black Cat here and hope we see more of her in the future whether it's as an antagonist for Spider-Man or as an ally eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a fun episode. I didn't expect to see Black Cat use her bad luck abilities; most adaptions seem to avoid those powers.

One thing this show already exceeds USM in is showing more of Peter's life beyond Spider-Man. A lot of the events in this episode (Peter being late for things, scrambling to juggle different responsibilities) felt like classic Spider-Man stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1