1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Post-Secret Wars teaser

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by RoryWilliams, Jun 4, 2015.

1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My general thoughts:

- Happy to see it looking extremely likely Peter as Spidey, and Steve, will be surviving Secret War. I like Miles, but I would be pretty upset to have him be the full-time Spider-Man of 616 with Peter retiring. Be interesting to see what kind of stories and niches both Spider-Men will fill in the new 616-verse :).

- I can live with this Iron Man Armor over Marvel Now! and the Superior look, but the mask will take some getting used to :ack:.

- I've seen the idea thrown around about Old!Steve taking up classicy Fury's role in the new 616, and I think that would be cool. Putting Steve there also gives Sam more time to shine as Captain America. I can definitely live with Steve in that role for at least a little while until he eventually becomes Cap again. And Hopefully with Hickman gone he can start acting more like Steve again :sweat:.

- Though while we have Jane!Thor in there, where's Thor Odinson? I doubt he'll stay dead, since we still need to find out what made him unworthy and he's as central to the story of Thor as his female counterpart is.

- Well, at least Marvel has finally openly acknowledged their new "season model" for their comics, which makes their cancelations, constant relaunches and new #1's a little less annoying. Series like X-Factor, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Cyclops ending felt exactly like some of my favorite cartoons getting canceled, so better Marvel at least embrace what they've been doing for a while :shrug:.

I don't necessarily like that model, because I don't view comics the same way I view TV shows, but I can understand from a business and creative standpoint what Marvel is trying to achieve by it. Though would books get "renewed" with more issues, or with another set of 12 issues? The latter would mean that milestone issues would no longer be a thing, which would be pretty sad :(.

Though I have to wonder if some of the more epic and intrinsic positive elements of Marvel's comic pantheon would have happened if Marvel had worked under this season model in the past. I personally doubt it.

- When I see them use team-switching, it seems more to me that they're pushing iconic members of certain groups who they don't own the movie rights to away from their established places in the MU so that they're more a part of what Marvel is actively pushing (Avengers, Inhumans, etc.). This results in characters like Rogue being stuck in an Avengers book under Remender and unable to be used by other X-writers, which is disappointing :sad:.

- If they replace Banner as Hulk, or keep him as Maestro, I'll probably drop Hulk unless the new Hulk really interests me. But if they had to do a new Hulk, the least they could do is leave Banner as Doc Green and not in a villainous persona like the Maestro is. Though it seems like PAD has plans for the latter in Spidey 2099, so hopefully that's back post-Secret War.

- It seems like the new Wolverine might either be Old Man Logan or Laura/X-23, though I'm betting more on the latter than the former, even if I think OML might make it into 616.

- Happy that Miles won't be the only Ultimate character making the jump, though Fury and his supporting cast are probably the major ones that will make it. I hope Bombshell is also in there :D.

3. RoryWilliams

The second one.

[​IMG]

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope, still don't like that helmet/mask on Iron Man :sweat:.

- Laura's Wolverine costume looks awesome :D.

- So Johnny's going with the Inhumans, Ben's going with The Guardians, Sue might go with either SHIELD or the Avengers, and Reed's status is a lot more mysterious...I wonder how long the family will be separated by different teams before the true FF comes back :ack:?

- I don't think red and black work well on Thing, and don't the Guardians already have enough powerhouses on their roster? I'd rather see the old female members of the DnA run come back then have Ben shoved on the team :shrug:.

- Daredevil looks like the person who came up with it failed to realize that the TV show ended with the red suit and that the black suit was just a prototype. If they wanted more black, they at least could've used the Secret War suit :sad:.

- Dr. Strange is back to his classic look, but the axe is weird and I'm not crazy about his hair :eek:.

- Glad to see Hyperion in this :).

- Citizne V and Dr. Spectrum are a little random, but Citizen V probably means we'll be getting a Thunderbolts book, with a more classic roster, and Dr. Spectrum and Hyperion could mean a Squadron Sinister book :cool:.

- I recall they tried to give Medusa a more royal and armored costume for Inhumans instead of her classic costume. Looked like that worked out well :p.

5. RoryWilliams

Invincible Iron Man will be the flagship relaunch, written by Brian Bendis and drawn by David Marquez.

[​IMG]http://www.newsarama.com/24753-invincible-iron-man-by-bendis-marquez-joins-all-new-all-different-marvel.html

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow...on the one hand, I haven't heard many positive remarks about Bendis' Guardians or his Uncanny X-Men, and his recent Miles book and All-New X-Men have been kinda meandering around, but Bendis does have a better track record with solo's and a lot of experience with Iron Man. I still think he's better served for more street-level characters, but he definitely has Tony's voice down to pat which is a positive ;).

As far as a creative team to put on a flagship title, and as an attempt put Iron Man on the map the same way he is in the movies (even if he'll never surpass Spidey), Bendis and Marquez are pretty great choices :).

Still 50/50 on the Armor design, but that it can change into different and past Armors is really awesome, and I can't wait to see how that feature is utilized in the book :cool:.

Hoping that Bendis can bring his A-Game to the book and hopefully reinvent and update Iron Man's Rogues Gallery for the series. Also happy to see Tony is still in the suit and is finally a hero again :D.

For once, Bendis' penchant for ignoring continuity would be best served to ignore Superior, in my opinion :sweat:.

7. RoryWilliams

#7 RoryWilliams, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. RoryWilliams

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that All-New All-Different Avengers cover is awesome :D!

Though all the teen members look quite a bit older in it :p.

It's great that, after how long it's been since his last one, Dr. Strange finally has another ongoing :).

While Aaron wouldn't have been my first choice to handle it, if he's on his A-Game for the book then chances are it'll be great. All I'm hoping for is that he gets Strange's characterization right, and judging by his work in Original Sin I expect I don't have much to worry about there. And Bachalo on a Dr. Strange book is a perfect match ;).

Also cool to see a Squadron Supreme book coming out, and it's interesting how each member is from a different dimension :cool:.

10. RoryWilliams

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Greg Pak back on Hulk? A "totally Awesome" adjective title, that only a kid or teenager would ever possibly use? And considering how Pak describes the tone of the series and their reaction to being the Hulk, I'm almost 100% sure that our new Hulk is Amadeus Cho :cool:.

And with all that together, I might just stick with reading the book even though it's not focusing on Banner :).

Bit disappointed that the Doc Green plotline from Duggan's run is seemingly getting dropped, and I hope Banner ends up being okay and not, say, as the Maestro :eek:!

And A-Force will be surviving into the new 616, just minus a writer and possibly artist:

http://www.newsarama.com/24932-a-force-enters-all-new-all-different-marvel-with-new-1.html

[​IMG]

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.newsarama.com/24979-new-...rdinary-x-men-to-launch-post-secret-wars.html
    Meet the Extraordinary X-Men:

[​IMG]
    Helmed by Jeff Lemire and Humberto Ramos, featuring a roster consisting of Storm, Old Man Logan, Nightcrawler, Teen Jean Grey, Colossus, Magik and adult Iceman.

And behold...the new Vision ongoing by Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta!

[​IMG]

The series will feature everyone's favorite intangible android building his own android family with a wife and two kids, and settling down in the suburbs.

#12 Frontier, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  13. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

so this is the "disney" marvel every one feared