"Marvel's Inhumans" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Worst episode so far. Medusa and Crystal are especially portrayed as unlikable; was Crystal ever this bratty in the comics? And the new Karnak romance just isn't good.

Mortis keeps getting hyped, but so far, his showings have been very much less than impressive.

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

My least favorite character still stands as the blonde scientist because she reminds me of Felicity from Arrow.

3. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

By the pricking of my thumbs... Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Something Inhuman This Way Comes..."
    Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    On the run, Black Bolt and Medusa work with Louise to locate the rest of the family.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Inhumans "Something Inhuman This Way Comes..."

First episode of the series I've outright liked.

Karnak is interesting for the first time since the Pilot. His plot outwitting the drug dealers was great.

I especially like the dealer who immediately shot Rob, because because Rob killed his own friend. And the guy who killed Rob is right. You can't trust people who kill their own crew.

Mortis seems to be getting extra snarky. I would like to see him fully unleashed.

Black Bolt is unlike the animated versions, in that he uses sign language to communicate. I get that's probably tough to animate, but the cartoon Black Bolt being king never made sense. It's hard to follow someone's orders when they cannot actually give them.

Love the look on that chick's face as Lockjaw disappeared. Crap just got real.

Louise wonders if Medusa treats her entirely kingdom so crappily, and Medusa points out that Tracker Girl had been sent to kill them. My first thought is that maybe no-one would WANT to kill them if they didn't treat the rest of the Kingdom so horribly. When Medusa is making justifications for the caste system, and that she and the Royal family do what they do for the good of all, you could tell it was b.s.. What was interesting is that it seemed like part of HER could tell it was b.s., and that that was the first time that part of her realized that. Tracker Girl making Black Bolt promise to be the king he should have been is appreciated by me.

The last scene was interesting too. It seems Maximus is making the exact same mistakes the Royal Family made. People who treat their underlings like crap can not be expected loyalty. The Royal Family sucks, but they are a consistent level of suck. Maximus seems to have no idea what he's doing, and could potentially make things much. It's sad but interesting that many of the people would rather have the boot on their heel because at least there was stability. That bums me out at the same time.

First positive grade I am giving the series. ****.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Something this Way Comes

Royals: After I learned Kevin Tanchoreon directed this, Karnak's stick fighting started to make sense. In terms of the MCU, he's directed a bunch of Agents of SHELD episodes. He does some big fight scenes. Like I think it was season 2, when Daisy had the fight against HYDRA agents and the camera POV was a long shot. The writer of this episode Scott Reynolds did a couple Jessica Jones episodes, too.

Flashback was amusing.Gorgon was smart enough to pick up that Karnak couldn't even make a move on his chest a game the whole time. Still, pretty hilarious he chose the U.S. flag as a memento.

Yay, all mostly reunited. Glad to see Bolt and Medusa thinking about what Locus had the guts to tell them. Unless Crystal finds them randomly, I bet Louise will use her software to track Lockjaw's pulses and triangulate a position.

Declan lab: I'm glad Sammy is still alive. Surprised Flora survived the explosion. Nice to see even Auran questioning Maximus' plan. But dang she's hard to kill.

Maximus: Ha. Starting to flake saying it's in their best interest like Bolt and Medusa say.

End tag: Finally, some of the Inhumans that are against Maximus. But is Tibor going to help them or be a worm and rat them out to get back in Maximus' good graces?

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Right now on ABC!

[​IMG]
    "The Gentleman's Name Is Gorgon"
    Friday, October 27, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Gorgon and Karnak take on Auran and her Inhuman army with disastrous results.

7. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Well, I will give the show credit for killing Gorgon (if he stays dead). I really did not expect this show to have the guts to kill a main member of the Royal Family.

At the same time the show loses a ton of credit for also killing off Mortis without ever doing anything with him. They've been talking about him as this walking death machine ever since he first appeared yet we saw absolutely nothing from him that really showed this. We didn't even get the "Black Bolt's Voice vs. Mortis' Face Death-Ray" showdown that the show seemed to be working up to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x6 The Gentleman's Name is Gorgon

Writing and pacing improved with this episode I thought.

Yeah, I also thought they'd play it safe and not kill off any of the Royals. RIP Gorgon.

Audrey, Audrey. Just turned out be a bad one. I guess her mention of a registry was as close we'll get to a mention of the Sokovia Accords.

I guess the big sign of Medusa changing is wanting to take Maximus alive and hold a trial. It was good to see her and Black Bolt at odds about what to do when they return to Attilan. Ignoring the lightning at first as they talked in the car was funny enough. It was nice to get some confirmation the Attilan Inhumans left Earth to avoid further conflict with humans. Figures things would sour after they got rid of Hive.

So... none of those rebels had powers to knock off lil human Maximus? Nah, just bring little knives -- way more effective. They -- ugh. Deserved to be caught. Could see Tibor's death coming a mile away. Though concerning Declan's research, I suppose if they tricked Maximus and didn't do gene therapy or whatever to implant Inhuman genes to him -- Terrigen would kill him since Terrigenesis stripped out all his Inhumanity. Like in AOS when those rejected stayed a black husk and crumbled on impact...

Auran - her usual self but man she rubbed off on Flora. She sure showed prejudice to the lower caste that showed up instead of being her hippy dippy self like in past episodes. Interesting move for Declan to figure out Auran's gift is limited. Mordis turned out to be a letdown. Just a chat with Karnak took him down a few pegs. Though I suppose that's the case for a lot of people. heh.

9. Magmaster12

Yes Earth is full of good people, I'm just not too sure about some of the people who worked on this show though.

• Like Like x 1
    #29 Magmaster12, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Inhumans "The Gentleman's Name Is Gorgan"

Mostly aggravated by that.

So the biggest thing that happened in the episode is that Gorgon died. Okay. Let's unpack that. This is the sixth episode of the series ever, so there are a few questions the show needs to ask itself about killing off Gorgon.

Is Gorgon's death necessary? Is the show better or worse for him being gone? Will the audience actually feel bad and miss him, or did they kill him off because they guessed he'd perhaps be the least popular character? Is this to give the Royal Family a personal stake in seeing Maximus go down? Was there perhaps a better way to do that than having a black man sacrifice his life for his white friends? Was Gorgon's sacrifice ultimately worth it? Was the death actually "good"? Could Gorgon have survived that encounter with Mortis 9 times out of 10, but hit the unlucky number solely because the writers wanted him dead? What if the show gets renewed for a second season? What will Gorgon being gone do for the show's interpersonal dynamics? Was Gorgon's actor told ahead of time his character was always going to die, or was this as big a surprise to him as it was the audience? If it was a surprise, how do the writers feel about putting an actor out of work for this specific plot twist? Is the plot twist worth all that?

I am not going to give my answers and opinions to all of these questions, but let's just say my answers for them all leave me with a mostly negative opinion of what I just saw. I hate it when a show kills off a major character simply to shock or upset the audience. New shows do it even more often than normal because they assume the audience isn't attached to the character yet. But that just makes the plot turn MORE gutless. I would admire a show that is willing to kill off a character we all love, for a good reason. But I have yet to see that show. Whenever I see a show kill off a major character, it's always because they are either billed last in the credits, or their contract negotiations fell through. The writers of Arrow would never kill off Felicity Smoak, much less bother creating a death worthy of her. I don't see why I am supposed to be so moved about a character the writers have not given me much reason to care about.

Another gripe: I loved Karnak's story to Mortis. Why did the writers have him later tell Gorgon it was untrue? It didn't have to be, considering Mortis' ultimate fate at the end of this episode. It being true would have effected no part of the actual story except to make it vastly better. He could have been telling Mortis the God's honest truth, which would have automatically made both the story Karnak told, and Karnak himself, a buttload more interesting. Why did the producers think it was a good storytelling idea to make him seem LESS interesting?

Maximus killed the parents and let Black Bolt live with it after all that? I mean, Maximus' mission sounds righteous on paper. But he is not the guy who is going to deliver salvation to Attilan. And while I DO already object to him deviously pointing out that if the Royal Family kills the miners, the people will turn further against them, I might think more of the character if he wasn't stupid enough to utter that callous opinion out-loud, in public, where the son of one of the miners could hear him. Did I mention the kid who heard him tell Tibor his father's death would be a good thing is supposed to be one of Maximus' biggest safety protections of his life and well-being? Yeah, I don't even think Maximus is too crazy for painting the kid's face with blood. I think he's stupid for believing the kid would want to serve him in the first place.

Any nice things to say about the episode? I particularly liked how instantly and easily Dave and Louise fabricated that jealous girlfriend story about the turncoat doctor. Those two characters know how to roll with it. That was never the Royal Family's plan, and they made it up entirely on the fly, without having to rehearse it with each other first. The best thing about it is that it is completely mundane and stupid, and sounds a heck of a lot more convincing than a giant dog and people who live on the moon. And I really like that about the both of them. I hope they aren't gone from the show. If they are, unlike Gorgon, I think the show will be worse for it.

This show is starting to work my last nerve. *1/2.

11. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the whole "Maximus actually killed his and Black Bolt's parents" thing. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The flashbacks we've seen on what happened seemed pretty definitive, I'm not really sure how Maximus could've faked anything there. If this was a better written show I'd say I'm interested to see the explanation, but for what we've gotten so far, I imagine whatever we get will seem silly.

12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Havoc in the Hidden Land"
    Friday, November 3, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    The Royal Family returns to Attilan and comes face to face with Maximus.

13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Inhumans "Havoc In The Hidden Land"

At this point I can safely say I hate Medusa more than any other character. The episode did an incredibly cool thing, and Medusa totally bought it back for no reason whatsoever. Apparently what she learned on Earth is to treat Maximus with kid gloves. Let him walk all over them, and roll over for him every single time. The actual Earth lesson from Louise is not to maybe NOT treat your subjects like crap, and make half of them slaves. No, it's the genocidal monster Maximus Medusa has been treating unfairly.

I really hate that because Black Bolt's offer to Maximus was brilliant, and should have stood on its own, without Medusa second guessing things after that. I think that if Maximus had accepted that offer, it would be clear to me at least, that he won the entire season, if not yet the series. The offer was filled with far more grace and forgiveness than Black Bolt ever should have embarrassed himself with. It took a strong person to make that offer without strangling Maximus instead.

But that's why the offer is great, and why once Maximus rejects it, he's lost the season. Maximus' entire power structure is built around the facade that his goals of getting rid of the caste system are righteous, and he is doing everything for the greater good, and hates having to treat his family that way. It's not true, but it is a completely plausible alternative narrative Maximus has been able to create, due to the fact that wanting to abolish slavery, no matter WHAT your selfish agenda, is a noble goal, especially when its compared to people who want to keep it in place. That's Maximus' great weapon: The moral high ground. Black Bolt just cunningly nuked that.

After rejecting that offer the way he did, Black Bolt no longer has to take Maximus' larger "righteousness" into account. Because it's bullcrap, he just proved to everyone it was always bullcrap, and Maximus just totally ceded the high ground to his brother for no other reason than pure unadulterated greed. Black Bolt can now kill his brother without feeling bad about it. Which is precisely why I am upset at Medusa trying to make him feel as bad about it as she is.

I think Karnak's time on Earth has improved his abilities. Then SEEM lesser than they were, but it probably leads him to taking chances that will most likely pay off that he never would have otherwise. Not knowing, actually gives him the confidence to do crazy things. Which is actually a good thing.

I winced at Declan saying "I know that look," upon Medusa giving Black Bolt the cold shoulder. And Karnak is right to throw the shade at him for that. He's trying to make himself a part of something he is not. It's a human thing to do, but were I the only human in that scenario, I'd be inclined to keep my mouth shut, just to be safe.

I like Karnak reasoning with Auron, but what I especially is that Auron demands not to be seen escaping with him. That is smart. That means there is further use for Auron in the future. And I think Karnak appreciates that more than anyone.

For the record, Triton's make-up is terrible. I guess it has to be, to be waterproof, but it is literally nothing but a rubber suit. Which might not bother me if it looked cooler. But Triton looks incredibly creepy in green rubber regalia. He's like Aquaman crossed with the Gimp from Pulp Fiction. Also, Mr. Horse. "Can't a man just make a simple mistake?! Oh, what you must think of me."

I can't help but feel the cliffhanger would have been stronger had it ended on Gorgon snapping Declan's neck. They could play he's either crazy evil, or fine, and simply not putting up with any more collaborators the next week, but that would have ended the episode on a much stronger note. As it is now, I feel like the episode seems five seconds too short. Unless they don't kill off Declan at all next week, which would be a mistake. The monologue he was saying to Gorgon was begging for it. ****1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Medusa is grating at this point. Eye roll. I liked the 'are you kidding me' and 'told you so' looks Black Bolt gives her in the bunker. Crystal is a close second place. So cliche a teenage princess wants to go live a normal life.

So I take it Maximus wanted to do a custom Terrigenesis and take on several abilities. Bravo for Auran for finally realizing she make a mistake with who she backed.

At first glance, Karnak disobeyed Bolt and tried to resurrect Gorgon. But who knows, maybe it's just a Lazarus Effect deal and there's just temporary nuttiness.

Yeah, Triton's suit looks terrible in daylight scenes but watching him kick the crap out of Maximus was worth the wait from his disappearance in the pilot.

So Attilan looks pretty screwed. Maximus will probably go into man-baby mode and the city fall out of spite. Maybe we can see Bolt finally use his power on some falling debris... I can see Eldrac and Lockjaw evacuating them all to Earth -- a whole new set of problems but since Buck admitted they outlined a second season - that's probably where they want to take things next.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Is this even getting a second season? The ratings are bad, but I heard Disney made ABC pickup SHIELD for a 4th season, so maybe the same will happen for Inhumans.
    How does Declan not know about terragenisis? Isn’t this taking place in the same world as SHIELD? Isn’t he aware of how people are gaining all over the world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I just meant the creative team like most in the industry make the season finale not knowing if they're being renewed or not - some construct it so another season could come along. I really doubt Inhumans will. If Loeb and Marvel TV haven't realized Buck failed them twice...

Yes, it does take place in the MCU and the 1st episode established it's at least after the Terrigen spill in AOS season 2 and mentions of a registry, regular people people knowing what Inhumans are, and the absence of SHIELD seem to point this takes place between AOS Season 4 and 5.

Regular people don't know the term "Terrigenesis" outside of SHIELD, HYDRA, or Afterlife for example. Declan as result shouldn't either. Inhumans, yes. The term, no.

17. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Inhumans finale is on ABC right now!

[​IMG]
    "...And Finally: Black Bolt" - Season Finale
    Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    The final showdown between Black Bolt and Maximus takes an unexpected turn.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

So that's either a beacon sent from the throne to the Kree or the city acted as a seal to keep the Unspoken imprisoned. If it's the latter, he's going to need Terrigen Crystals which are all on Earth.

Kind of wish they at least named who the Branson-esque person who owned the aerospace company was. But now he's given asylum to a 1000 Inhumans and a teleporting dog.

Predictable end for Maximus. Kept alive entombed in the bunker. And Bolt uses just a little of his power. Ugh.

AOS Season 5 looks like it's space but if they ever return to Earth, boy are they going to find a new headache, lol. That's pretty much the only way they'll ever show up again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Magmaster12

So I imagine the Inhumans are going to settle whatever imaginary land the Asgardians will also settle.

20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Could you highlight that the spoiler is for Ragnarok, too?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk