1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Inhumans" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This thread is for members to speak about all 8 episodes or the majority of them at once.

[​IMG]

Series Talkback
    Friday, September 1, 2017 @ IMAX
    Friday, September 29, 2017 @ ABC

"Marvel's Inhumans" explores the never-before-told epic adventure of the Royal Family of Inhumans including Black Bolt, the enigmatic, commanding King of the Inhumans, with a voice so powerful that the slightest whisper can destroy a city. After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii where their surprising interactions with the lush world and humanity around them may prove to not only save them, but Earth itself

This thread is for members to speak about all 8 episodes or the majority of them at once.

1.1 "The First Chapter" Part 1 / "Behold... The Inhumans!"
    1.2 "The First Chapter" Part 2 / "Those Who Would Destroy Us"
    1.3 "Divide and Conquer"
    1.4 "Make Way For... Medusa"
    1.5 "Something Inhuman This Way Comes..."
    1.6 "The Gentleman's Name is Gorgon"
    1.7 "Havoc in the Hidden Land"
    1.8 "...And Finally: Black Bolt"

#1 Yojimbo, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed the first two episodes they're pretty flawed yes, it's still a pretty cheap show, some of the side plots were stupid, Maximus isn't crazy or eccentric enough and the character wasn't very interesting, But they still emphasized the stuff I liked about the Inhumans mainly the character of Gorgon and Karnak. Although I would have preferred if they kept Karnak's backstory, he's just a really smart human with no powers who can see the flaws in everything he has no powers but they got his personality right so I'm not too bothered. There's still a lot of potential here and I certainly enjoyed this more than the first two episodes of Iron Fist or the entire Defenders series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's being predicted weekend domestic sales are $1.5 million and $1.1 internationally of a total $2.6 million.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

If an IMAX theater wasn't in the cards for you, the war of the worlds begins tonight on ABC with the series premiere of Inhumans!

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

'Like' Inhumans on Facebook
    'Follow' Inhumans on Twitter

[​IMG]
    The highly anticipated television series Marvel's Inhumans will bring the fan-favorite comic book series and a new kind of family drama to the small screen this fall on ABC. The Inhumans, a race of superhumans with diverse and singularly unique powers, were first introduced in Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1965. Since that time, they have grown in prominence and become some of the most popular and iconic characters in the Marvel Universe.

Marvel's Inhumans explores the never-before-told epic adventure of the royal family including Black Bolt, the enigmatic, commanding King of the Inhumans, with a voice so powerful that the slightest whisper can destroy a city. After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii where they are greeted with surprising interactions with the lush world and humanity around them. Now they must find a way to reunite with each other and return to their home before their way of life is destroyed forever.

Marvel's Inhumans stars Anson Mount as Black Bolt, Iwan Rheon as Maximus, Serinda Swan as Medusa, Eme Ikwuakor as Gorgon, Isabelle Cornish as Crystal, Ken Leung as Karnak, Ellen Woglom as an undisclosed character, Sonya Balmores as Auran and Mike Moh as Triton.

The series is executive produced by Scott Buck, along with Marvel's Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory with Buck serving as showrunner. Roel Reiné directed the first two episodes. This series is a Marvel and IMAX project and is co-produced by Marvel Television and ABC Studios.

Tonight's episodes...

"Behold...The Inhumans"/"Those Who Would Destroy Us" - Series Premiere

Friday, September 29, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on ABC
    The royal family find themselves stranded in Hawaii following a military coup.

ABC.com - Marvel's Inhumans

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Inhumans "Behold... The Inhumans / Those Who Would Destroy Us"

Wow, that totally sucked. You are going to hear a LOT of people say that about this two part pilot, but none of the scathing reviews have done justice to how much this truly sucks.

I hear "The costumes suck", I hear "The Writing sucks", I hear "The visual effects suck", "The acting sucks", etc... but I don't actually entirely agree with those complaints. Yes, it is a step down from the rest of the Marvel's Cinematic Universe, but just compared to everything else on television, all that stuff is merely average. That's not the problem.

The problem is the entire premise is abhorrent. The producers have said that this version of Maximus is not a villain, and I agree with them. Because Attilan sucks. The Royal Family sucks. The entire Inhuman race supposedly lives by a "caste system", but in reality, that's just a pretty way to say that people without superpowers are made slaves. The GOOD GUYS, the ones who I am supposed to be rooting for, believing in slavery based upon genetic superiority. And if this is from the comics, I gotta say, this sounds like the worst comic of all time, and I'm not only aghast that Marvel would adapt something so horrid, but that it apparently has a decent enough fanbase to be upset by the adaptation.

This is basically if Marvel made Trask and the Sentinels the heroes of the X-Men comic. And this concept is supposed to replace the X-Men in the Cinematic Universe? No. Just no.

If the fact that everything was below par was the main problem with a series with heroes who are slaveholders, and where there is literally no one to root for and relate to, I'd consider us in pretty good shape.

I have never seen a haircut filmed on camera that felt more like a violation than Medusa's did. Not even Cersei. It was actually all kinds of ick.

As bad as this was, I must have liked something, right? Karnak is a good character, not due to the gimmick or the writing, but Ken Leung's deadpan performance.

The guy who play Black Bolt is also not terrible, because he's reasonably good as reaction shots while using pantomime, which is important for a character who doesn't speak. The scene where he humors the cops by kneeling and putting his hands behind his head, because he has no context for what the human cops are referring to, or trying to do, was an outright good scene. Unfortunately, it was the only one.

This is going to be a disaster. *.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Disclaimer: I will never accuse myself of having good taste. Sure, I love some things that everybody else views as great but I enjoy a lot of other stuff that can be described as corny, cheesy, schlocky, campy, cheap or whatever other description can be used.

I didn't hate this two hour premiere. It's definitely not perfect but this didn't feel like the nail in the MCU coffin that I had been hearing that it was. It's a TV show that doesn't look dissimilar to shows we've seen in the past though you'd think they would make a more cinematic product considering how big the push behind it was. The costuming is super bland and the Atillan sets and props are as well but there are some shots, like the first sequence in Hawaii, that I felt were made to pop on the IMAX screen. I think they did a good job with most of the casting though the material they were given could have been stronger, especially after the coup begins. I understand wanting to make the show grounded and approachable but it's a mistake trying to do that with Atillan. They should have gone as far as they could with the fantastical when the characters aren't on Earth. I've never been a massive Inhumans fan (never read any of the books focused on them) but I liked them well enough and I'm interested in seeing where they continue with the series from here. After being first introduced to them as antagonists of the Fantastic Four, I've never really viewed the Royal Family as superheroes or villains, and I thought that their depiction here felt true to that. The caste system in place in Attilan does suck and changes should be made but looking at how Maximus is handling things, I can't picture anything even a little good happening if he really gets what he wants. All in all, the show's not perfect but I never felt strongly negative about what I was seeing and I'm interested enough to watch this series up to the finale.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll agree it wasn't nearly as awful as the online reviews made it out to be. Some acting/lines were stiff, Attilan's design and some of the hand to hand fighting left some to be desired, and some of the backmatter like Buck being the showrunner -- sure, but after watching this pilot, I'm okay with giving the show the benefit of the doubt and keep watching. I'm curious to see how the cast will warm up to each other post-pilot -- the case for any show. It takes me a couple episodes for a show to gets its foot hold so we'll see.

Interesting to see a difference in Terrigenesis. They have chambers and seem to limit the amount of time they're exposed to the gas. Which may explain no cocoon like the NuHumans on Earth. So it looks like this takes place post-AOS Season 2 in the very least. Hoping to learn more about their tech and I'm guessing Attilan was one of the Kree ships leftover on Earth like the one on AOS; but someone figured out to operate it and they left Earth at some point after Hive was banished.

Bummer Medusa lost her hair but saves a lot of time and money on the VFX crew, lol. I also enjoyed Karnak because he was deadpan. "Stupid dog." lmao. Stoked to see Eldrac the Door.

Maximus has a point about the caste system, racism and slavery but naturally the way he goes about it is totally wrong. I don't really see how he was able to get the Royal Guard on his side. I hope they explain how he had a team of armed soldiers on O'ahu.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It really felt too early for Medusa to get her hair shaved off in a impactful way. Especially when she hasn't done anything cool with it yet. It felt as though she put up more of a fight against Auran without it then she did when she had it on Atillan. I never thought Lockjaw could be like an adorable puppy but that's what they pulled off. I know he can be used to solve a lot of problems but I don't want to see him shelved for the rest of the season.

My first thought with the soldiers was that they were hired human mercs but I'm not sure that would make a whole lot of sense either.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    #8 Rick Jones, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Right on. Same with when they grabbed Crystal and put her in an arm lock. Unless in those scenes they slapped an inhibitor cuff on their wrists and it was poorly shown. I mean come on, when Medusa was about to have her hair cut, everyone was near her -- perfect time to choke them all out.

Judging from the clips, it doesn't look like Lockjaw is shelved for long. But it's disconcerting Louise already figured out how to track his teleporations -- but same with Gordon on AOS, HYDRA figured out a way.

Heh, exactly. I thought about that possibility, too.

EDIT: New footage in the TV premiere was

*More Louise. In the IMAX version, she only appeared in the part when Gorgon stomps the rover.

*Maximus has Kitar killed and threatens Genetic Council

*Maximus threatens Lockjaw to get Crystal to comply

*Maximus brings up Medusa and Crystal's parents rebelled and were killed by Bolt's parents

#9 Yojimbo, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Inhumans settles into its 9 p.m. ET time slot after the seventh season premiere of Once Upon a Time.

[​IMG]
    "Divide and Conquer"
    Friday, October 6, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    The Inhumans desperately search for each other in the wake of Maximus' coup.

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Inhumans "Divide And Conquer"

So because Maximus wants to end the caste system he's a bad guy? What part of the one guy trying to abolish slavery does not actually have the high ground? The Council member says that should it end, Attilan will fall into chaos and ruin. Good! It SHOULD fall into chaos and ruin! Attilan is abhorrent and must be ended at all costs.

I'm the guy who nitpicked Ursula K LeGuin's The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. In Omelas, you either accept the horrific scenario of a disabled kid getting tortured forever to run a kingdom of paradise, or you reject it and walk away from Heaven on Earth. But there IS a third solution and always was. Trying to fix it. I'd hand that kid a drink of water and watch the walls of Omelas fall with no remorse or regret. Because Omelas does not deserve to exist based on the suffering of the innocent.

Maximus is no saint however. Less because his intentions aren't noble, and more because his goals are stupid. Basically, Crystal publicly rebuffs him, and runs off, letting the rest of the Council know her entire appearance there was under duress and a facade, and that Maximus was dangerous and illegitimate. She runs off in fear for her life to publicly warn everyone else. But instead, Maximus tells the people there that she ran because she didn't care about them. And they cheer as if that makes the slightest bit of sense given what their own damn eyes just saw. And I'm starting to think that Inhumans are NOT superior genetic specimens. They are a bunch of sheep and hicks who will believe anything. And I am less inclined to see why Maximus wants to be the mayor of Bent Armpit, Wyoming. These are not people worth trying to impress if you ask me.

Karnak continues to be the one interesting guy on the show, but the show made a big mistake by damaging his power. That automatically makes him less interesting. And since he's the most interesting character on the show, that's a problem.

I will concede Mortus looks interesting too, even though he hasn't actually done anything interesting yet. But the way every single other character fears him suggests he is going to.

I'm sure the show thought it would be funny to show Medusa bossing around an ATM to give her money, but I frankly think it makes her look outright obnoxious, instead of merely clueless. Basically, this show is asking me to root for Cordelia Chase for Prom Queen. Just... No.

Always good to see Henry Ian Cusick getting work.

This show is still a disaster. **.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I don't trust Declan at all. The prisoner he recruited, Sammy, was a cool dude though. The reveal he was Inhuman and his little backstory was well done, imo. I hope he sticks around. Though I'm pretty sure Declan has Triton against his will. And many others. Perhaps this does take place after the end of AOS Season 4, explaining why S.H.I.E.L.D. hasn't shown up by now. But you'd think federal agents enacting the Sokovia Accords would have come for Black Bolt and face palm for Captain Pena stupidly mixing him in public population despite the story about flipping a car.

I don't care for Karnak deciding to stick around on the pot farm either.

The surfers with Gorgon happen to have guns and happened to have served in the military. Okay...

I was looking up Mordis online to no avail but he looks strikingly similar to an Inhuman named Dinu, leather mask and all. Instead of being a one dimensional villain, it was a nice surprise in that one scene when he mockingly mimics Flora. But eh, I'm pretty sure some of those Inhumans will switch sides like Locus and Flora.

Despite having tech to observe Earth since the start and probably making secret supply runs to Earth for centuries, it is strange Attilan's culture stayed as a caste system. No evolution into a democracy or even a parliament. But as Maximus alluded to, there was at least one attempt before to dissolve the caste system. So it appears sure, some of the blame is on the lineage of the Royal Family for holding onto political power. Hopefully they're going for their experience on Earth convinces them change is needed. Though Maximus is rather naive to think their problems end by going to Earth where they'll be persecuted, jailed, experimented on, or straight murdered. Not sure how this season is going to end. Black Bolt talking back the throne and status quo restored? Political reforms? Self-exile?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't hate the show so far, but it's also obvious that it has some major problems - the acting is mostly pretty bad (Maximus is an exception), the effects aren't good (the scene where Crystal uses her ice powers was lame), the script doesn't feel finalized, the plot isn't super engaging, and I dislike how we're being introduced to random humans.

Still...I don't find it boring, and it still has potential. But yeah. Really rough show so far.

14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Inhumans is on now!

[​IMG]
    "Make Way for...Medusa"
    Friday, October 13, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Maximus makes bold moves to cement his status as the new ruler of Attilan.

15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel’s Inhumans “Make Way For... Medusa”

Medusa’s family reunion.

When you aren’t actually ALLOWED to see Lockjaw, and the majority of his scenes involve characters looking at him off-camera, you sort of immediately become aware you are watching a TV show. Another reason that perhaps the concept is wrong for the medium.

The casting on this show sucks. Maximus’ early childhood friend looks to be in his mid-forties, while Maximus appears in his early twenties. What is up with that?

This has been the best day of Louise’s life? That is so freaking sad, as was “It’s about time”. I would not be as desperate for approval for someone as rude and obnoxious as Medusa is as Louise seems to be.

I figured the scientist working for Maximus didn’t know he was working for Maximus. Or at least had no idea what Maximus was, or what his agenda was. Makes sense.

Crystal and Medusa’s parents tried to overthrow Attilan? I like them already.

I was mostly bored with this. On worse occasions, I was annoyed. **1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Make Way For... Medusa

Yeah, makes sense Declan is being manipulated by Maximus. But like the merc team in the pilot... huh? I guess Maximus has been forcing Eldrac to transport his people on the sly before the coup and set up things in motion like setting up a partnership with Declan. It was a relief that he was the right intentions to use Inhuman research to cure cancer and all the horrible things out there. That was pretty clever of Maximus's plan try and use Earth Inhuman genes to try and get a second shot at Terrigenesis. Though given his powers in the comics, I hope that doesn't come to pass.

I enjoyed the Bolt-Sammy and Louise-Medusa pairings.

For Bolt-Sammy, it makes sense Bolt's DNA is different. He comes from a long line of pure Inhuman and pure Inhuman pairings whereas on Earth, there's been mixing with regular humans over the centuries so much so there's a divergence in genetics. Glad that was finally acknowledged on screen -- it was kind of floating there in the background in AOS for a long time. As well as Maximus stating that Attilan's Inhumans are stronger that Earth's Inhumans.

For Louise-Medusa, eh, opposites attract. Thelma and Louise I guess is what the crew is going for.The pay off for the hoof joke in the pilot was amusing as well as her in-joke about the Greek Medusa. Though my favorite was her reaction to 'teleporting dog'. It was nice to see Louise fell validated but the umph isn't there. It was just George Ashland being stern with her. If it were the whole Callisto board denouncing her in the pilot then reprimanding her for the rover, then yeah --being validated in this episode would have more prominence. And we get to learn a little more about Louise, and learn about that rocket ship from the pilot. I still like Louise.

Halfway into the season and still no Triton. He's becoming the Walt of this show. I thought for sure Declan might have had him in his facility. Karnak, Gorgon, and Crystal's scenes were clunking up the flow of the episode since they're static and not really doing anything. They're more character plots than part of overall story, yeah, but I'm getting bored with it. And Reno, boy, he gives Maximus a run for de facto creep. Hopefully, Locus finds them all next week. But I doubt it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

What are Maximus' powers in the comics?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

If memory serves might, he had mind control.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Ugh. Worst superpower ever.

20. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

So I just watched episode four and, yeah, it sucked. Medusa (man, I really have to fight the urge to spell it "Madusa") and Crystal are just completely unlikeable. Gorgon's story still makes no sense. Karnak's story right now is silly and uninteresting, which is really a shame because I thought he was the most interesting character in the pilot. His story is made even worse because I can't fathom how his illegal pot farmer shenanigans will in any way meaningfully play into the larger scheme of things. And Black Bolt's story was just kinda there. I don't know if that's because it's poorly written, or if that's a natural consequence of having a mute lead character, but it is what it is.

Maximus' story of him genuinely doing the right thing if for all the wrong reasons could be very interesting in a better written, more nuanced show, but here it's just boring. It doesn't help that the "heroes" of the story are a bunch of jerks trying to uphold a racist status quo, but at the very least they are showing that Maximus is a sociopath who's only doing what he's doing to cease power for himself and not out of any real ideological desire to actually help his people.

And they also killed off all the members of Aura's team (except Mortis). Some of those characters looked genuinely interesting and that all just felt like wasted potential.

• Like Like x 1