1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H "Planet Monster, Parts 1 - 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Jun 21, 2015.

?

Rate this episode

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

100.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Is this the end of the S.M.A.S.H.ers? Check out Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. today on DisneyXD!

[​IMG]

Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
    "Planet Monster, Part 1"

Episode Premiere Date - June 21st, 2015
    Hulk is torn between his two teams the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and the Avengers. This occurs when both of them team up to save Earth from a Kree armada led by the Supreme Intelligence.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It was fun seeing the Avengers again (but no Hawkeye, Black Widow, or Falcon?), but surprisingly uneventful episode. More fodder fights, more bickering, Hulk losing his temper, standard stuff. The ending was just silly, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lonewolf36

Lonewolf36 Active Member

I half expected to see Spider-Man and crew cameos while SHIELD HQ was under attack.

4. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My opinions:
    + I'm with you, Lonewolf36. With the Krees attacking the Triskellion, Spider-Man and the rest of the SHIELD Academy should have appeared.
    + I espected to see the Avengers, not only the "Trinity". Where the webs were Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon or even Ant-Man?
    + The tension between both teams was quite silly, considering how many time the SMASHers have already team-up with each member of the Avengers.
    + The ending was creepy, if you ask me; but I suspect how Hulk will be able to escape. I guess he will turn so mad inside the Supreme Intelligence that either it will be destroyed or Hulk (and the Leader) will be spitted out of it.
    + By the way, This Supreme Intelligence doesn't look much to it's previous appearance back in "It's a Wonderful World to Smash".
    + You know?, I just thought about something. I believe that, when Hulk will manage to escape from the Supreme Intelligence, there will be "side effects". How about if, before escaping from the Supreme Intelligence, Hulk absorbs the Leader's intelligence and becomes his "Doc Green" persona, leaving the Leader as his human self? It would be just like Abomination in the Ghost Rider's episode.
    + I really hope the beginning of the episode won't tease the official end of the show. This series deserves one last season to give us several things we have been wishing to see. Like Betty Ross as the Red She-Hulk or explaining Skaar as Hulk's son. Finally, if we really see Hulk becoming Doc Green and the Leader becoming human again, we could also see the debut of the Red Leader.

Well, opinions?

5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

So much for my Father's Day idea.

I imagine they graduated by this point.

I wondered that too...I guess the episode would have been too crowded and they couldn't write each scene with more characters?

I thought they're 'bickering' had some legitimacy to it. With two teams working together, there's bound to be fights over who gives the orders.

World Breaker coming up?

The Supreme Intelligence looked more like the Hulk even before he absorbed the Hulk.

I guess they can't kill off a major Marvel villain like that so maybe.

Agreed. Red She-Hulk was hinted at by the creators since the beginning. They couldn't have had that episode with Betty Ross if they weren't setting something up with her later. Plus, there's no way Red could have fathered Thad and Betts at his age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roxas_Sora

Thanks for your answers, TheLemsterPju. A few comments:
    + World Breaker was already referenced in previous episodes where Hulk wore gladiator armour. Both in Season 1's finale in Sakaar, and in Avengers' episode with Mojo.
    + One rule about comics in cartoon version is that, outside of flashbacks (Uncle Ben), they can't kill anyone. Even if you think someone is dead, it will return eventually.
    + About Thad and Betts, not to mention it would be stupid from Red to call ANOTHER daughter with the same name. I mean, Betts is another nickname for "Elizabeth", like Betty.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And to think I was expecting we'd have a major Agents of SMASH event and with no involvement from the Leader. I mean, if this might be the end of Agents of SMASH as a whole, it makes perfect sense to have him involved and he'll always be Hulk's primary Archenemy, but after a whole five-parter where he was the main villain, I kinda feel he needs a break at this point :sweat:.

That said, his hacking into the Hulk's cameras and manipulating his way into the Kree's good graces was cool, though obviously that backfired spectacularly on him when he tried to take on the Supreme Intelligence :ack:.

Speaking of, I think this is the creepiest the Supreme Intelligence has ever looked in a cartoon, which I guess is praise from a design standpoint. Being able to give both The Avengers and Agents of SMASH a good fight isn't anything new, but still quite impressive considering what else the Agents have dealt with and with the heavy hitters of The Avengers there as well :cool:.

I'm disappointed that we only got the Avengers Trinity showing up as representation for the team, not counting Hulk, although I'm not surprised it ended up that way. The Trinity have all made guest appearances on the show and using three characters, rather than six, doesn't run the risk of the cast being bloated and forcing the creators to divide even more focus in the episode. But it's still pretty glaring not seeing Widow, Hawkeye, or Falcon when the former two even showed up in the Skrull trick earlier this season :sad:.

But wow, Iron Man actually acting like a leader! That's a change of pace. He even comes up with some good plans in this episode, which was just as surprising. It's just too bad he's in the same show where Hulk's a super-competent leader with good experience leading his team, so he still comes off as incompetent by comparison :shrug:.

Though you'd think that, if Hulk had dual team membership this whole time, that it would've come up before and Tony would mention he's basically Hulk's boss in his previous guest appearances. Though maybe that only applies when it's officially an Avengers situation :confused:?

Y'know, I can't blame The Avengers for underestimating the Hulk and focusing him on doing what he does best. Sure, it was a little rude of them to not consider that he and the Agents might be better at things not smashing related, and ignore the good he's done in leading his team, but when you look at the glaring differences between Hulk's characterization in Assemble and SMASH, it's not like they didn't have good reason for doing so :rolleyes:.

Assemble Hulk's maturity level is pretty much only one-level higher than Hawkeye's, which isn't saying much, compared to the mature, reasonable, heroic, and seasoned Hulk who we've seen lead the Agents to victory time and again and even teach them how to work on the team. It's such a jarring change, and who knows how it happened and how far in the timeline we are to know how long it took for Hulk's development to kick in, that it's no wonder there were issues between the two teams. They've basically been dealing with two different Hulks :eek:.

I did find A-Bomb just quitting the show and knocking over the wall, as well as Skaar referencing how he's supposed to be the dumb and only good at smashing guy, to be the funniest bits in the episode :p.

As far as the conclusion, while I knew it was coming, I have to say that...Hulk in the Supreme Intelligence looked ridiculous. Was the hair really necessary? Also kind of ironic that in the episode where Hulk keeps trying to get The Avengers to listen to him and realize he can actually be a good leader, Hulk makes a decision that spectacularly backfires in the end :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this episode was pretty boring. It was nice seeing some of the Avengers I guess but they didn't really do much here other than take part in some action scenes, argue with the agents of SMASH and treat Hulk rude. Considering how Hulk acts on the Avengers show it was pretty reasonable for the Avengers to assume he hasn't changed. The big revelation as to why Hulk acts differently when he's with them was kind of silly. Plus all the confusion as to how he was able to be on both teams without anyone really knowing about it was just rushed through and never really answered (though, to be honest, I don't think a logical explanation could exist for that).

The Leader's plan was decent but I'm getting tired of him being behind pretty much everything on this show. As well of the "show character's name on screen when he appears" moments, which annoy me, and the "on-camera confessions" which are supposedly happening in real-time but that's kind of impossible. The Kree made for decent opponents I guess but the fights weren't anything special this time. The constant arguing between the characters just made things even less exciting for me. The ending was kind of predictable, with Hulk getting absorbed by the Supreme Intelligence, once he jumped in front of that ray. I don't know how they're going to end the story but it should be pretty obvious Hulk will survive at the end. All in all a decent episode but kind of lame at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

Here is a clip for Planet Monster Part 2:

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Can the S.M.A.S.H.ers save the world? Maybe with a little help from their friends! Check out Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. today on DisneyXD!

[​IMG]

Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
    "Planet Monster, Part 2"

Episode Premiere Date - June 28th, 2015
    The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and the Avengers have to work together to free Hulk from the Supreme Intelligence and prevent the destruction of Earth. But it's going to take more than even these heroes to stop the powerful Kree.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

11. TheLemsterPju

Could someone who has seen the episode confirm without spoiling anything major if the ending of the finale seemed....final? No cliffhanger?

I feel rather stupid for not recording it...

12. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

There was no cliff hanger at all in fact it was left off on a pretty triumphant note.

13. Lonewolf36

Lonewolf36 Active Member

The ending felt like a final episode to me.

14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not bad, but they tried to add too much stuff in only one episode. Saving Hulk from the Supreme Intelligence was handled pretty well, and I did appreciate the fact Rick was the one who went to rescue his "family". The fight scenes were pretty unimpressive this time - basically each hero attacked, and was knocked out. Repeatedly. It got boring very fast. Then they rushed through the Kree attack and planned destruction of Earth. I liked the brief moments where the Avengers realize Hulk changed and he's a leader now but it would have been nice if there was some more build up to that.

It was nice I guess seeing all those characters again but they didn't really do anything other than show up. Thank goodness they refrained from writing 20+ characters' names on the screen when they showed up. Ego (controlled by A-Bomb) was a little too silly for me. Plus the gag about Spider-Man wanting a jet pack, which I remember was used in an old episode of Ultimate Spider-Man (and it wasn't that funny there, either). Having the heroes celebrate their victory was predictable (though I admit I was expecting them to go to a Shawarma place), and the Leader's comeuppance was just ridiculous.

All in all, this episode was pretty decent I guess but very rushed at times. I think it works fine as a finale for the show, giving the character a somewhat happy ending (which you don't see everyday), but it also had a pretty disappointing and underwhelming story.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Only Hulk could make a series finale feel so....meh. The most disapoiting aspect is that a Hulk series ends without Hulk having a knock-down fight with anyone.

Actually, the whole climax was done better in EMH and Justice League; lots of cameos, but they're only here as if to say, "See, it's a series finale because a lot of past characters are appearing!" Spider-Man, for example; lots of fanfare, but he does absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, the once threatening Ronan is now a joke, and the Intelligence talks a big game but can't back it up. The final scene was decently funny, though.

All in all, I wont miss the show. Guardians should be more than enough as a replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roxas_Sora

OK, after seeing the last episode, I want somebody to officially confirm a third season of "Hulk and the Agents of SMASH". I mean, it clearly proved that the Hulks have their influence in the Marvel Universe and they cover the little things that neither Spider-Man, the Avengers or even the Guardians of the Galaxy can cover. Not to mention there are several things we were supposed to see in this series and they didn't show them until now:
    + Hints about Betty Ross becoming the Red She-Hulk.
    + The whole mystery around Skaar's origin and his identity as Hulk's son.
    + "The Tomorrow Smashers" with the future SMASHers have some quite interesting cliffhangers to explain. The Gamma Twins (Betts and Thad) clearly have hints of being Hulk's kids with Betty Ross as the Red She-Hulk.

About the guest appearances, I didn't expect Ego and the Guardians of the Galaxy. I really wanted to see Wolverine and Silver Surfer. By the way, why did the Leader end like that? I mean, being absorved by the Supreme Intelligence left him dumb or what?

17. TheLemsterPju

Lest we forget:

+ Pluto swearing to have his revenge on the Hulks.
    + Titania and (possibly) Absorbing Man redeeming themselves.
    + Annihilus' hinted return after picking up his Cosmic Control Rod near the end of "Into the Negative Zone".
    + Galactus noting that he may eventually return to eating inhabited worlds in "Planet Hulk - Part 2".

Honestly, it would be cool if Galactus and other cosmic gods like the Celestials were to be the main antagonists for Season 3. What could top the most powerful army in the universe? Well none other than the most powerful beings in the universe? The ultimate threat, and the biggest challenge for the Hulks to face. Ever.

#17 TheLemsterPju, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  18. dr_marvel2040

dr_marvel2040 Member

Thanks God..the series ended..it was sooo childish....the last episoides wasn't that epic....somebody tell me what these charcters done in the episoide???spiderman??guardiens of the galaxy???mainframe???deathlok???the thing???only there presence...Funny

19. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

Well this could've have been better, the other Avengers not being present when their was a world ending threat made no sense. And Ronan when first introduced was shown to be a powerful threat but as time went on became a complete joke. The other heroes showing up was also pointless, as most didn't really do anything.

Now since it seems this show isn't getting another season, that means that the writers failed to do certain things right before the end. First Betty Ross should've had more appearances, Second Skaar was done horribly this was his first real animated appearance and he was just dumb comic relief, and the show never reveals his true heritage. Third the Leader was overused.

• Like Like x 1