1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Welcome Back" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 10, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD! The Guardians arrive on Earth!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Welcome Back"
    Episode Debut - July 10th, 2016
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Marsha Griffin

The Guardians discover that the Cosmic Seed is back on Earth, so Quill returns to his hometown and teams up with an old nemesis to find the Seed before Korath.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

That was very good. Cosmo and Peter played off each other very well. Plenty of great visuals and humor.

I like how people were just milling about as they dug a hole through the mall's floor. That didn't even attract a crowd! Hilarious! Felt like a Megas XLR episode for a moment there.

I think they went a little overboard on the muted colors.

I guess this show takes place prior to the rise of superheroes, though Drax and Gamora's strange skin colors didn't seem to get a rise out of any of the mall patrons...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty good episode of Guardians, with some nice action sequences, plenty of funny moments, and a solid take on the Guardians' first arrival on Earth :).

It was nice to see Korath finally make a return given it feels like forever since he's been on and done something, and he completely sat out the Asgard War two-parter, and here we have him back to determinedly hunting the Guardians, Star-Lord, and the Cosmic Seed. He's also apparently still following Thanos' orders despite the fact that the last we saw Thanos was swallowed up by a black hole. I guess nobody else really believes that finished him :ack:.

It kind of felt like they went for intentionally plainer and lighter colors for Earth and Peter's hometown to contrast with the more colorful and darker Knowhere and space setting, to highlight the differences between the two different worlds Peter inhabits. But then again, given how muted the colors generally are on this show, it could've been just a complete coincidence :sweat:.

This is the first time we've seen the Guardians arrive on Earth, at least in the context of the cartoons and even before the movies have done it, and it was pretty amusing watching them react to Earth culture. You had Peter dealing with all the changes that have happened to his town, which only on the surface looks the same, and people having cellphones and Ipods, which makes his boombox look even more outdated then it already is. Rocket and Drax also developed some funny fondness for duck tape and human cuisine respectively :D.

It was nice seeing Cosmo join the Guardians for this mission, especially since we hadn't seen him in a while, and it was sensible bringing him along given how useful his powers are and that Earth was once home to him as well. Cosmo was basically an unofficial member of the group in the DnA run, so it's nice to see that reflected in the show. He also plays a solid straight-man to Quill (but who doesn't at this point?), especially as he sifts through Peter's mess of a mind. Seeing his own culture shock coming back to Earth was also really fun, especially his dog mannerisms acting up and trying to lead other Earth dogs in a rebellion :p.

It feels like they maybe could've played up Peter finally coming back to Earth for some more emotional moments as he reconnects with his home planet and sees just how much has changed since he's been away, especially given the apprehension he's had to coming home (or any home for that matter) has been a big part of his character this entire season. Seeing his house becoming a shopping mall and the recollections of his childhood with his mom were pretty good moments though :crying:.

It was interesting learning a little more about the reaction to Peter's abduction in his hometown, and that he's been an unsolved missing persons case for all these years. It makes perfect sense, as does the case dying down with no discernible lead given how Peter was taken andthat there probably weren't many in the community who were close enough to Peter or the Quills to keep up the search. Coogan was only doing it out of guilt for how he treated Peter when they were kids.

I thought Coogan was an okay addition to the episode. He's your typical normal human thrown into a crazy situation involving aliens on Earth, with all the expected reactions, but having known Quill when they were kids allows him to connect with Peter and the Guardians while providing a tether to Peter's old life. That he's a normal dude invovled in all this cosmic craziness reminded me of Jack Flag from the DnA run, which I guess is a compliment but Coogan is nowhere near as cool as Jack ;).

Though I have to ask...why did he taze the dog too :confused:?

I do have to wonder if we'll see any other wider Marvel Universe references now that the Guardians are back on Earth. Even if it's unlikely for The Avengers to show up, either chronologically or just because they might be too much for the show to bring in this late, you would think the antics the Guardians are getting up to would attract SHIELD's attention o_O.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I'd imagine it's standard procedure for police officers to consider dogs found with fugitives as dangerous weapons and to neutralize them as quickly as possible. Although it is weird that he went with the tazer, as most officers probably would've just shot the dog, but that obviously wasn't gonna happen on the show.

Actually it's kinda surprising he went with the tazer on Quill too instead of just flat out shooting him considering Peter was technically wielding a "gun".

I await more adventures of the Guardians on Earth and what wacky disguises they will find to hide two green skinned aliens, a raccoon and a tree in plain sight. Seriously, there is so much material to be mined from this. I know it's a long shot, but I also hope they address Peter's grandfather at some point as well. After watching the movie I always felt horrible for that guy and what he must've went through.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

A pretty fun episode. I liked how they handled Peter's return to Earth. I did wonder a bit if they might have had some of his extended family in here but looks like they don't exist in this show. How the family handled Peter's disappearance after his mother's death is just something I always wondered about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Good and fun episode. Good to see Korath everyone's favorite less competent Prince Zuko clone lol jk.

Coogan has to be stupid. He laughs at Peter Quill's story after watching Korath fly around with jetpack and attack him in some space armor. Like wtf.

• Like Like x 2
    #6 Capt.Traphouse, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I enjoyed seeing the Guardians go to Earth for the first time in their story. I especially enjoyed Rocket going crazy over duct tape and then hoarding all the duct tape.

I liked seeing a version of Peter Quill react to smartphones and iPods and such. It makes me wonder how an 80s kid like Peter will adjust and react to newer tech on Earth if he goes back there in the movies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. I liked the idea to get Quill and Cosmo travel back to Earth together, they had some neat scenes and the pairing did provide some pretty amusing moments. The bully that tormented Quill as a kid being a police officer now was an interesting twist though I liked it even more that he was trying to solve the mystery of Peter's disappearance years ago, trying to make amends for how he treated him. That was cool.

Korath's inclusion was decent, it was pretty cool seeing him again on the show. Him tracking Quill to Earth was predictable but it did help the story move along and provided some good action scenes. The final fight, alongside the other Guardians inside that mall was pretty great. I doubt we've seen the last of Korath and it shouldn't be too hard to find a way to write him back into the show, hopefully his return will be at least as exciting as this episode was.

Other than that, some good gags - like Quill's reactions to some more modern tech, Rocket discovering duct-tape or Drax discovering food on a stick, but I also liked Cosmo finding ways to maneuver a car during a chase from memories of Quill's favorite shows. It was cool they added some more dramatic stuff as well, in regards to Quill remembering his mother again, but I think they could have developed that a little more. Overall, a good episode and it looks like the Guardians' adventures on Earth haven't ended yet.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Seeing Quill adjust to the changes in technology of Earth, and I'm glad the other Guardians will be there to join and hopefully Coogan. Scenarios like this I always enjoy, and it gives me a reason to tune into the show.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3