1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "We Are the World Tree" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 27, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD! Featuring Thor and Angela!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "We Are the World Tree"
    Episode Debut - March 27th, 2016
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Mairghread Scott

In search of the Cosmic Seed, the Guardians unexpectedly find themselves in Asgard where they must outwit Thor and Angela in order to discover the seed’s origins.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Angela...I will.never get used to her not being a Spawn character.

Sent from my Verizon 4GLTE using Tapatalk

3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty great episode. It offered a decent enough back-story for the Cryptocube and the Cosmic Seed story-line, though just how much of it is actually true remains to be seen as I have a feeling J'Son may not have been telling the complete truth. If it was all true, it's fine since it was a satisfying explanation but if it's not true it would also work in showing how manipulative this character is. I liked how he tricked Quill into traveling to Asgard, though it was a fairly predictable move. Loki getting into things was also a neat surprise and a nice continuation of his plot from a few episodes ago.

Thor was handled fine, a little less friendly than he has been presented as in the other shows but it worked here. For starters he wasn't as childish, and the explanation that he's pretty much in charge of Asgard during the Odinsleep was a nice surprise. I thought his little speech to Quill about both of them following their father's legacies, while also making their own was pretty awesome. Also really liked the way he insisted on hearing the Guardian's side of things, despite Loki's protests and the way he overruled his brother's decision to start a war.

Angela was a nice addition, though I am hoping she'll show up some more and her character will be developed some more as well. What we got here was good, though a little underwhelming. Her fight scenes were good, and I liked the way she called out Quill and the others for the childish way they were behaving, but I think they can still do more with her on the show. I was also thinking her relationship with Thor could be used as a neat parallel to Quill and Victoria's, though the latter didn't show up this time. Heimdall was also nice, the way he stood up to the Guardians was pretty awesome. It was kind of weird seeing Asgard so empty though, with only four or five inhabitants. I expect more people will show up if a war breaks out.

There were some silly scenes - like the fight at the beginning, or the pillows and sheets Quill brought his friends as a peace offering, and some of the dialogue could have been better, but other than that the episode was good. The fights looked great and the way the story is playing out is pretty interesting. The way they tied Yggdrasil to the Cosmic Seed story-arc was a pretty nice way to bring the Asgardians into play. All in all, a good episode and an entertaining enough adventure for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I guess it makes sense to revamp Angela as an Asgardian. However, Thor did say she was new to Asgardian ways, even though he considered her his "sister." Also, interestingly enough, Nika Futterman who previously voiced Gamora in Ultimate Spider-Man and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH ended up voicing Angela here. So glad they at least found another role for her.

I'm curious here on what J'Son's game is with the Cosmic Seed. A part of me wonders if he is trying to incite the war or if he is secretly trying to use his own subterfuge to thwart Thanos. Otherwise, Loki and Thanos could very well be plotting against J'Son too. We still have no idea where the Cosmic Seed is or who has it.

Even then, what do the Guardians want with it when they find it? Rocket Raccoon seems to want to sell it for money. Drax just wants to use it as bait to fight Thanos. Gamora I imagine wants to keep it away from Thanos. I think they might just have to destroy it to keep it away from people like Thanos.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a solid, good, episode with a nice addition to the cast in the form of Angela, great use of the Asgardians in the story, some interesting new twists in terms of J'Son and the Cosmic Seed, with some fun action, humor, and character moments interspersed throughout ;).

Angela makes her debut in Marvel animation and I thought this was a solid appearance of her, even if we got more scenes of her in action then of getting to better understand her character. It was neat to see the writers take her relationship with Thor in the comics as Thor's sister and incorporate that into the show, adding an interesting new dynamic to the traditional Thor and Loki conflict, and it's made very clear that she's loyal, protective, and supportive of her brother. I thought her design was great, being fairly faithful to her comic look, and she looked pretty cool in action. Nika Futterman did a great job in the role, and is a good fit for the character, and it was neat seeing her face-off against Gamora throughout the episode given Nika Futterman was Gamora's last voice in the cartoons before the Guardians retool :D.

You do have to wonder how much of J'Son's story to Peter about his quest for the Cosmic Seed is true. He claims it was for idealistic intentions, to bring universal peace to the galaxy, but others paint his quest as being the selfish adventure of a prince trying to further fuel his ego or give himself more power over others. It's certainly tough to judge his sincerity when he's manipulating his own son and working with the Mad Titan of all people :ack:.

Though given the picture of Meredith in J'Son's inner sanctum and how he described her in the story, it seems his feelings for her were entirely genuine. Maybe the picture being in there was for Peters benefit since J'Son knew he was going to come in there, but that seems like too much of a stretch. But it was fairly convenient that the only reason J'Son never went back for Meredith and Peter was because he was under the impression the Ravagers had killed them both. Of course, it would explain why he was so surprised to see Peter, but then you would think Yondu wouldn't be alive at the moment if J'Son was under the impression the Ravagers had killed his lover and son :eek:.

Then you also have the other wrinkles in the story of Loki facilitating the Guardians' infiltration of Asgard, and framing J'Son for it. Between Loki, who wants Thor ousted from the throne and to be King, and Thanos, who wants the Cosmic Seed and the power it holds for himself, J'Son is the only player who's true motivations are still fairly murky o_O.

Man, the Milano must be really uncomfortable to sleep on if a few blankets and pillows is enough to make the team forgive Quill :sweat:.

Poor Groot, constantly losing his hands :p.

The Guardians vs. Heimdall was pretty cool, especially with how much of a challenge he gave each of them. And Thor and Angela vs. Drax and Gamora was pretty great too. Some really dynamic and fun action scenes amidst those two fights, and it's good to see the power level of the Asgardians isn't being undervalued on the show :cool:.

To Thor's credit as king, while he took quick offense to Peter's jibes and seemed really pleased at getting into a fight with Drax, he treated the Guardians surprisingly fairly once they were all caught. Rather then fall for Loki's goading, he listened to Peter's plea and looked at what little negative result came from the Guardians' time in Asgard, and merely released them back into Spartax custody to be dealt with by J'Son. That was a pretty reasonable reaction on Thor's part, one befitting a hero and someone with the potential to be a truly good king, and he even came to an understanding with Peter at the end over their shared conflict with living up to their fathers :).

You'd think Victoria would have a reaction to her brother leaving Spartax and the conflict between Peter and their father but I guess we won't get to see that yet :(.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I can't think of anything to add. Just a very solid episode all around with great action that moved the story along.

That seems to be problem across Marvel Animation, this show included.

I feel like this show has done an excellent job of integrating Asgard into the wider the universe. The other Asgard appearances on the other shows tend to feel like forced tie-ins. Here it feels like natural progression. Thor and Loki come off as inhabitants of the Guardians' universe rather than guest stars.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Member

I hope they wrap up the whole cosmic seed storyline. The whole trying to find it thing is not very exciting since they already told us where it is in the pre-show.