1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "We Are Family" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Nov 21, 2015.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy Episode!

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

33.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 9:30PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    Say hello to Rocket's family.

[​IMG]
    Guardians of the Galaxy "We Are Family"
    Episode Debut - November 21st, 2015
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Steven Melching

Rocket is abducted and taken back to his home planet, Half World, where he gets caught up in a revolution of evolved former test subject animals.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I think it would be neat if that female AI from the Rocket origin short survived and served as the main antagonist of this. Even better if, by end, she still survives and foreshadows her becoming the MAU version of Alkhema. (Without the involvement of Ultron, since Wacker hinted at the fact that she wont appear in AA Season 3. He didn't say she shouldn't appear at all! [Thomas Perkins, one of the character designers for this show, favorited my post about Alkhema in the MAU, but that's a bit of a stretch I guess...])

EDIT: Drat! ....Nice unexpected twist though.

• Creative Creative x 1
    #2 TheLemsterPju, Nov 21, 2015
  3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

We know the High Evolutionary has a large role in season two but maybe his first appearance would be this episode. It would be his MO after all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Ugh, the interaction between Drax and Rocket could have been so much more poignant. Other than that great episode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Blackjack O'Hare, Wal Rus, Uncle Pyko...

Was wondering if and when they'd do nods to the original Rocket Raccoon mini.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Sad ending there.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TheLemsterPju

Soooo they're just going to leave that helpless AI at the old base slowly fizzing out until it finally shuts down? What will the animals eat or survive in this desert landscape? I have a pet turtle, and they can get harmed pretty easily if they're not in the right conditions.

And why are the two female AIs separate from each other if they have the same voice?

8. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I'm figuring what saved Rocket was his cybernetic implants he was given when he was experimented on that the others did not go though. Sad that Rocket had to lose his family for a second time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I thought that one was ok, rushed and vague in some places, but otherwise decent. I wish they'd spent more time with how Groot felt about being returned as well.

I imagine that the Halfworld machines can scrounge together enough supplies and resources from Earth and elsewhere to take care of the animals. They managed to abduct them after all.

The second point...I don't know. Maybe there was some more going on there that was cut for time. Good question.

Another question, how did the rest of the Guardians get through the shield? Did I miss the explanation there?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Xxerox

Xxerox Member

I love the nod toward the original comics. Litteraly the comics in reality has nothing in connection with the Guardians of the Galaxy. It is its own separate thing. Glad they showed those characters in here.

11. TheLemsterPju

Then he's not an alien raccoon thing that Nova (Sam) claimed he was. :p

I looked at the credits, and the AI that was pleading for help in the old base (and also appeared in the Rocket Origins short) is "Lab Chief X7". The one from the new lab that assisted the Guardians in devolving the animals was "Lab Chief X8".

Which begs another question: Who created the machines? These colorfully-dressed "Loonies" from the comics?

[​IMG]

Yeah, that would really clash with the show's tone and established universe.

Ookkkaaayy, we're officially putting too much thought into this episode. :confused:

(P.S. Drax's constant promises to seek revenge need to stop. Like right now. Who's to say he won't change his mind at the last minute and tries to be the "better man" instead of killing Thanos? Lets face it, he can't die this early into the timeline.)

• Like Like x 2
    #11 TheLemsterPju, Nov 22, 2015
  12. Xxerox

Xxerox Member

I have a crush on Rocket. Is this normal?

13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Why not? I think Gamora has the fattest butt in the Marvel Universe but each to his own fam.

• Funny Funny x 1
    #13 Capt.Traphouse, Nov 22, 2015
  14. JoeMabbon

Didn't Rocket ask how they got through shield and Quill refused to answer? I think that was meant to be a joke, but did they follow through with it or was that just an orphaned punchline?

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I liked getting to meet the other Marvel critters of Halfworld like Wal Rus, Pyko and Blackjack O'Hare. I think the story sort of went off the rails between Rocket siding with the robots and going against Pyko. I didn't really get the robots seeing the error of their ways and wanting to turn over a new leaf. I think if you wanted Pyko as the villain, make it so Pyko was going to start becoming an evil tyrant who wanted to start harming innocents and maybe de-evolving humanoids. His goal of wanting to keep animals from being victimized wasn't exactly all that bad.

I think it was sort of weak that all the animals were de-evolved and became regular unintelligent animals again. I don't think that was a necessary conclusion.

Either way, it was fun to see Rocket getting to interact with the Halfworld creatures, meeting his family again, etc. I liked that his mom was overbearing and constantly critical of him.

As for how the Guardians found Rocket, I assume it was the boom box. They were able to track the energy signature of the crystals from the planet at the beginning of the episode because they were exposed to those other life seed crystals.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JoeMabbon

I figured that the box led them to Halfworld, I just thought the episode was teasing some explanation of how the Guardians penetrated the shield surrounding the planet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Orphaned punchline it was :rolleyes:.

I thought this was a decent episode. Not necessarily one I really enjoyed or found remarkable, and I was kind of expecting a little more considering the material, but still an episode I enjoyed :).

After learning about the episodes story, I was definitely excited to really meet Rocket's family and see his reaction to meeting them again (now complete with intelligence on his level), especially after the short. Though to say the episode surprised me in how they handled it would be a bit of an understatement. I guess Rockets family pretty much sharing the same personality as him, except for Ranger apparently, is genetic or he just really takes after his family? It also feels weird that the Raccoon family all seem to have this understanding and opinions of each other despite the fact that the rest didn't get personalities or evolved until after they were separated. At least the rest of his family calling Rocket "runt" makes sense considering the dynamics of animal relationships ;).

I was also expecting a little more of a heartwarming reunion between Rocket and his family, not his mother and sister constantly belittling and criticizing him and holding a bit of a grudge about him leaving without taking into account the circumstances. They came around in the end of course, and I can still understand why Rocket is still so attached to them, but I think he was right about them being jerks. It think it kinda ruined the poignancy of the episode by having it work that way, but that's just me :(.

It was cool that they repurposed characters from the Rocket Raccoon mini-series for this Rocket-focused episode. Pyko's goal of evolving animal-kind and rebelling against their oppressors, stemming from the experimentation done on them by Halfworld, was an interesting twist and one I can understand given what the animals were subjected to. But justice can so often be clouded by revenge, that Pyko lost sight of trying to help the animals on Halfworld and became focused on exacting vengeance on the machine and fulfilling his own goals of evolution :eek:.

I am really curious about what exactly the Halfworld machines are and who built them. They seem to have sentient-enough AI's that they could realize the mistakes they made in the past with their experiments, said experiments evidently intended for the relatively benign purpose of evolving and improving the animal-kingdom for scientific purposes before they realized how wrong their experiments were. Just a lot unexplained about those machines...

Two episodes with Quill being on-point for the entirety of the run-time. I feel like that's a record :p.

Rocket and Drax finding some camaraderie in their lost families was a nice touch :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't think this was such a terrible episode, but definitely not on par with the last few. It had a pretty interesting premise but the story was too rushed. Plus it didn't make much sense at times, since they didn't really bother to explain some pretty important stuff that was going on.

Still, there was some good stuff. I liked how this was a sort of continuation to the Origins shorts, and it worked for the most part. Rocket being put in the spotlight was pretty cool and seeing his family evolved as well as some more characters from the comics was neat. The action scenes were decent, not as impressive as in the previous episodes but pretty fun to watch. The scene where Rocket looses his family again was handled well enough. Also great that it lead to a neat moment where Drax and Rocket kind of bond some more as well.

I agree this would have been a great opportunity to bring in the High Evolutionary, and possibly set up his eventual return next season.

Edit: Episode's credits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #18 RoyalRubble, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  19. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

This episode, like the last several episodes, has been pretty good.

• Like Like x 1