1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Undercover Angle" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 24, 2015.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy Episode!

1. *****

60.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **/12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 9:30PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    The Black Order is back... well, actually makes its debut in this new show.

[​IMG]
    Guardians of the Galaxy "Undercover Angle"
    Episode Debut - October 24th, 2015
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Marsha F. Griffin

Caught red-handed by Titus, the Guardians are coerced into infiltrating a notorious gang of weapons dealers known as the Black Order.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC

#1 RoyalRubble, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

(4 minutes in)

I didn't know Supergiant could do that....

3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty great episode though the story seemed kind of rushed towards the end. The Guardians posing as Nova Corpsmen was pretty cool. Their fight with Supergiant was neat. Her being another one of Peter's ex-girlfriends was a surprise. Pretty hilarious stuff, also liked the "beats me" gag. Wonder who else in the Universe might have been involved with him at one point and will randomly appear in future episodes. That could be fun. On the other hand, apart from all the comic relief, Peter did manage to stand out some more this time, with the various devices he has inside his helmet.

The character interactions worked pretty well, this time Drax being in the spotlight with his inability to tell a lie and his acting scenes. It was nice seeing Titus again and his mission to bring the Guardians to justice. His idea to let them free if they infiltrate the Black Order sounded fishy from the beginning but I admit I wasn't expecting Titus to completely become a villain by the end of the episode. His descent into that role could have been played out a little longer. Still, him an antagonist now and having an even bigger grudge against the heroes, should lead to some more interesting stuff later on.

The Black Order was handled well enough but didn't exactly impress me as much as they did during their appearance on Avengers Assemble. I liked that Ebony Maw got some more screen-time though, and pretty much acted as the group's leader. His voice here was provided by James Urbaniak (as opposed to René Auberjonois on the Avengers cartoon). Also liked how Black Dwarf got at least a chance to speak (with him voiced by Jesse Burch). The other members of the Black Order kept their previous voices. Overall though, pretty disappointing compared to their previous appearance in animation. I realize they had to be powered down since the Guardians aren't exactly that powerful but I still think they could have done more with these characters.

As for Ronan's Universal Weapon - I don't know how exactly it got there but I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of it. The reference that it's all that was left from Ronan after the Guardians were through with him was another moment supposed to tie this show to the live-action movie, but I thought it worked in this case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I was a bit disappointed that Titus was just a corrupt cop playing the hard nosed cop to manipulate the guardians. I guess it's my fault for making him out to be a more complex character then he was.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Awesome episode.

Drax's acting was great, I love how this show will follow a trope and then just change it up.

The Black Order sitting a bar like its nothing serious is hilarious. Genocidal villains murdering people across the galaxy at a bar. I love all the bar scenes in this show. I'm always glad when a children's show can show a bar and just keep it cool.

I feel the Guardians could take the Black Order. I mean, Groot has fought Hulk well enough before and I think he could take Black Dwarf. Proxima was depowered a bit but Captain America isn't much stronger than Gamora and he fought her.

Titus should have had one more episode of being an amoral cop rather than villain imo but oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Solid episode, Drax had a really good showing and once again the team dynamics were handled really well. I'm glad Ebony Maw got more of a chance to shine. I thought they'd play Titus's descent out a little more but what we got here was acceptable as well.

Yeah, they're definitely building up to something. I hope they don't use it to revive Ronan. That would be pretty cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

This episode was a lot of fun. I like the ongoing story with Titus as he continued his transition to being a full-on villain after the hints from last week. Looks like Titus was nothing more than a poseur all along who only wants money and power.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty good episode, with a nice balance of action, humor, and intrigue as the Guardians wade their way through various factions in search of the Cosmic Seed while still being the disjointed and crazy group they are :).

I'm not sure what to think of Quill after this episode...granted, his improvisation proved invaluable in helping the Guardians throughout the episode, but at the same time he was kind of a jerk to Drax (even if Drax did take things quite a bit too seriously in terms of his acting) and that he pretty much ruined the plan because he was the only member of the team not immune to Ebony Maw's mind-control. And even when got out of said mind-control, he still shoots his teammates. Good going Peter :rolleyes:.

I was wondering where Supergiant was going to be in this episode once we saw the clip, so it was interesting seeing her in Nova Corps. custody. Though her suddenly turning giant and gaining super-strength was a big surprise, considering she never once used that against the Avengers even though it probably would've come in pretty handy there. But the bigger surprise was that she and Peter apparently had a romantic relationship beforehand! Quite the shocker, especially considering Supergiant's personality. I guess the legends about Star-Lord's love life are well-deserved ;).

I'd like to think the Guardians would've come around to saving those people even if Drax hadn't been so in-character that it made him jump after them, because otherwise they'd be pretty bad heroes if they left the family in such dire straits just to save their own skins. Then they'd definitely deserve to be locked up by the Nova Corps. :mad:.

Count me in among those who, while expecting we'd eventually see Titus' fall from grace and descent into villainy occur in this series, was also expecting it would be a while longer before we actually saw it happen. I was also kinda hoping that there might be a little bit more complex a motivation attached to why he turned traitor to the Corps., and that he had his own misguided reasons for betraying them, rather then seeing him just turn out to be a selfish thug hiding beneath the badge of a galactic peacekeeper. Though considering his showing in the last episode, I can't say the outcome in this episode was surprising. While it's a little disappointing that the Guardians won't have "the law" on their tail anymore as an interesting complication to their adventures, Titus gaining a grudge against Peter and the team and likely becoming a recurring antagonist or rogue will hopefully make up for it :cool:.

The Black Order were pretty awesome in their last MAU appearance, so I was definitely looking forward to their return here and I think they still managed to retain their coolness even if they weren't as effective as they were in Assemble. They at least had some good fights with the Guardians and played off each other well, possibly kickstarting a few rivalries (Proxima and Gamora for one) that might continue in later episodes :D.

It was nice to see Ebony Maw finally get to actually contribute to the group, even if it seems to come about from him stealing Supergiant's powers, though I'm not sure whether I prefer his Assemble voice or his voice here. And seeing Black Dwarf actually talk was nice as well. I wonder if they're underground arms dealers here instead of Thanos cultists like they were in Assemble because they haven't met him yet? Or if they're underground arms dealers who prioritize missions for Thanos? Maybe failing to carry out their mission for Ronan's hammer will lead Thanos to indoctrinate them into his forces :eek:?
    The summary for the show from the beginning mentioned Ronan being revived, so it's only a matter of time before it happens. I'm honestly kind of surprised it actually hasn't happened yet o_O.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Dang, really? I was hoping that'd hold that over from the film.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, though the fact that they bothered to get a VA for Ronan and show him in the shorts semi-prominently was probably a good indicator that they were going to do more with him in the cartoon proper.

And it makes sense considering he's a bigger and more personal threat to the Guardians, and their most prominent antagonist in the movie, compared to Korath so I can understand why they'd want to bring him back. Though there's still the question of just when they're going to have it happen and how.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe my favorite episode so far. Very, very funny, and the animation seemed to take a step up. And Drax, who had been by far the most boring member, actually showed signs of personality here. Bendis could learn from that (not a fan of Drax in the current comics).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I'd like to admit that Titus seems more compelling in this show than Ronan and Thanos did the first time I saw the movie, and I don't even recall reading any comics with Titus beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Kind'a saw Titus's Bad Cop thang a mile away, but at least the animation was better.