1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "The Backstabbers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Nov 7, 2015.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy Episode!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

60.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

20.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 9:30PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    Watch your back.

[​IMG]
    Guardians of the Galaxy "The Backstabbers"
    Episode Debut - November 7th, 2015
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Andrew R. Robinson

When Gamora betrays the Guardians, Quill suspects she’s been coerced and goes after her, only to get mixed up in a game of deceit as Gamora tries to play her siblings Nebula and Korath against one another.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Haha cool! Korath had his comic book counterpart's weapons and costume (with a little MCU mixed in) near the end. ^_^

I'm hoping him and Nebula get some development this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Very predictable, and the characters were dumb as before. Though I admit I did find one of Rocket's lines to be legitimately funny.

4. strugler

strugler Member

As all the previous episode, this was a solid one. I can't believe how far marvel animation has come since usm season 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

The line at beginning, which was presumably played-for-laughs, about Drax holding onto his daughter's doll every night (in remembrance of her?) actually made my heart sink a bit. That was surprisingly touching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

I really love how the show takes the gag of Drax's literal thinking (which was underutilized in the movie imo) and just runs with it here. Good, solid episode.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I actually liked how they handled Korath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Another solid and enjoyable Guardians episode, with plenty of action and humor to keep me entertained :).

I sometimes wonder how this team is able to stand Quill. I mean, sure, he usually comes through in the end, but generally he's fairly obnoxious to the rest of the team, is a blabber-mouth, and is just as much a hindrance to the team as he is in contributing to it. Just in this episode alone he reveals several secrets the team told him in confidence and almost jeopardizes Gamora's mission multiple times because he didn't know when to shut up. For a criminal or rogue, depending on how you look at it, you'd think he'd be a bit more skilled in the art of lying and keeping secrets :shrug:.

At least one redeeming feature for him in this episode was his complete faith in Gamora, and how he continued to hold onto it even as the other Guardians (except Groot) easily fell into the idea that she'd betray them, though I wouldn't say it really led to positive developments as he acted on said trust. If there's one thing this episode cemented though is that, despite how much they bicker and Gamora insults him, Peter and Gamora always have each other's backs ;).

I don't know what's funnier, Drax being Drax or Groot being the only member of the Guardians Gamora trusted to keep a secret :p.

It was nice getting to finally see Nebula appear in the show proper, especially considering how her status in the MCU is currently ambiguous, and seeing more of the dynamic between the three children of Thanos (Gamora, Nebula, Korath). All three have their own agendas and goals and pretty much want each other dead, but also seem willing work with one sibling if it means taking down another or if that doesn't work out just completely turn on one another. It's definitely one really dangerous family competition, but it certainly makes for some fun television :D.

I wonder what Nebula meant when she said she had a "fondness" for Ronan? It certainly doesn't seem like something from the movie...I wonder if it's because he treated her better then Thanos ever did, related to him giving her the chance to destroy Thanos through their rebellion, or potentially genuine affection for him? And now she has his Universal Weapon, which still seems to have residual energy from the Power Stone, with the intention of carrying out Ronan's "mission" which probably spells trouble for Xandar :eek:.

The episode did provide an interesting continuation from Ronan's death, since now Thanos is lacking in someone to lead his forces for him while he sits and plots on his throne (as all good evil overlords do). Gamora and Nebula have turned traitor, so I guess that just leaves Korath to be upgraded to Thanos' top man. Having a bead on the Cosmic Seed certainly doesn't hurt. Though I wonder if Ronan's eventually resurrection (if it ever happens at this point) will hurt his chances o_O?

Ah, good ol' Chitauri. Serving as ineffectual goons since Ultimate Avengers 2 :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #8 Frontier, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was another good episode. Gamora's plan to trick both of her siblings into fighting each other was predictable but still handled well enough. Peter getting mixed up in it did provide some amusing moments but I also liked the way it showed how much he actually trusts Gamora. The other Guardians didn't really do that much this time, other than Drax, who was also in fine form this time (even if he didn't exactly fight anyone) with some great lines of dialogue and using Ronan's Universal Weapon in some pretty interesting ways.

Nebula and Korath were also great in this episode, it was nice seeing Nebula officially make her debut on the show after appearing only in Gamora's origin short. I'm also pretty sure we haven't seen the last of either of them so it should be fun seeing how things will play out after these events. Nebula obtaining Ronan's weapon was also an interesting turn of events. The Chitauri didn't really impress me that much here but I did kind of like their designs and they provided some decent fight scenes (and a pretty hilarious scene, with them chasing Peter aboard Nebula's ship).

Also nice seeing Nova Prime briefly at the beginning of the episode, and a neat callback to Titus' betrayal of the Corps. And the second or third allusion to Drax's daughter, good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    #9 RoyalRubble, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  10. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Korath appeared in the first two episodes bro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For anyone wondering, the Chitauri in this episode were voiced by Trevor Devall (Rocket) and Dave Fennoy (Korath).

Cree Summer was Nebula's voice and as a previous episode revealed, Nova Prime was voiced by Tara Strong.

Sorry about that. I'll edit my post.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Really enjoyed this one. I was a little worried since the answer to the question about Gamora's loyalty is obvious to anyone outside the show's target demo, but the episode made it work. The action scenes were excellent as well.

There's a moment where Quill actually manages to perform a feint and draw his element gun while cornered by Nebula. I love little moments like that where the heroes (or villains) forgo strength in favor of reflexes or sleight of hand. More of this please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Y'all can hate me for this, but I'm glad the cartoon dropped GamoraxQuill, it wouldn't work, they have no romantic chemistry and the movie valiantly attempted and failed to build some.

I honestly can't tell if Drax throwing the Universal Weapon and destroying Nebula's ship was awesome or stupid.

Great episode all around, I feel it was a bit redundant as Nebula and Korath were going to betray each other eventually to attempt to become Thanos's general but ah well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm just glad they didn't decide to expand Gamora's betrayal plot over more than one episode, in an attempt at more serialized story-telling or continuity. That would have gotten tedious since the outcome to this is predictable for just about everyone.

I don't really mind the lack of GamoraXQuill, or romance in general on this show. But I hope we'll see more of Peter's crazy ex-girlfriends in future episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Glad we got an animated introduction of Nova Prime here. I liked the episode and a nice confrontation with Nebula and Korath. We got a nice reinforcement of Gamora's loyalty to the team and the good guys. She made a good point on not filling in the group on her plans other than Groot.

I'm expecting any big breakthroughs or discovery of the life seed will probably happen at about episode 13.

16. maczero

maczero Active Member

How about awesomely stupid?

Man, this show really is a lot better than the other Marvel cartoon offerings. The writing and animation is really good. Also, like that the episode titles are riffs on popular songs from ancient times (the 70s).

As for dropping the romance, it's a smart call. Considering that the target demographic is pre-teen boys it makes sense. Even as an adult who's way past the target demo age, I can say romance can kill storytelling momentum in an action cartoon. I'm watching Robotech right now and I'd say the average ep would only be about five minutes if they dropped the Min Mei pining and the love triangle stuff.

17. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

Or stupidly awesome?

18. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Comparing the audience reactions towards Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers: Age of Ultron suggests that viewers of various ages and genders, not just pre-teen boys, find Marvel stories more interesting without romantic subplots.