1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Take the Milano and Run" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 10, 2015.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

37.5%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

12.5%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 9:30PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    The Grandmaster! Drax versus Gamora! And probably some more stuff as well.

[​IMG]
    Guardians of the Galaxy "Take the Milano and Run"
    Episode Debut - October 10th, 2015
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Andrew R. Robinson

The Guardians crash land on a space station run by the Grandmaster, who schemes to get Drax back in the gladiatorial arena to battle his ultimate opponent: Gamora.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I am still in awe of them getting licensed music for this show.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Ha! Monstrom, "Brute That Walks", and the Creature from the Black Bog cameos!

I love that Marvel is putting these obscure monsters in their shows like they have in a AA's "The New Guy" and Hulk's "Into the Negative Zone" and "The Hunted". ^_^

EDIT: Wendigo and Rommbu (or Gormuu?) too! :D

EDIT_2: This episode was a HUGE improvement over the last one. Gamora is still my favorite!

EDIT_3: Irani Rael was in the credits....I didn't see her anywhere in the episode. Unless I missed something?

• Like Like x 1
    #3 TheLemsterPju, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty great episode. The bit with characters forced to fight each other in gladiatorial arenas is cliche, but this was entertaining enough and wasn't entirely the focus of the episode anyway. Besides, as a coincidence lately I have actually been in the mood to watch this kind of scenario from other shows over the years so this was fun. The action was good, the humor worked for the most part and the musical moment was great. I admit the the recurring gag with Peter & Rocket arguing whose ship it is got kind of annoying but other than that, no real complaints.

The rivalry between Drax and Gamora was handled pretty well. Their fight was great, I actually wish we saw more of that. The same goes for Drax's previous fights in the arena, seeing at least one full fight would have been nice. Pretty awesome adding cameos from other, rather obscure monsters from the comics (most, if not all of them created by Jack Kirby). Titus was fun, too. Lunatik and his A'askavarian girlfriend (who just so happens Peter dated as well) provided some good laughs. Her fight with Gamora was pretty cool.

The Grandmaster was a decent adversary, I liked how he booby-trapped their ship anticipating their plan. His design was good but his attitude seemed a little odd. He was a little too excited about everything. And he was a little too silly in some scenes (especially when he gets defeated in the end), but it wasn't that bad. Jason Spisak voiced him, I didn't recognize him until I saw his name in the credits. Overall, a good episode and just a fun little adventure which also managed to have some decent character interactions and advance the plot a little as well. Good stuff.

I didn't see Irani Rael either. I doubt we could have missed her, especially if she had a speaking part as the credits indicated. Probably a mistake or something.

Either way, we now know she'll be voiced by Tara Strong when she appears.

• Like Like x 1
    #4 RoyalRubble, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

The beginning and end of the episode was forced as always. The middle part was okay, there at leas a couple jokes that did get a chuckle out of me, and even some bits of animation were good, though again the animation while better than in AA is rather inconsistent thus still poorly handled.

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Pretty fun episode, Conjunction was an enjoyable setting and there were some pretty funny moments here and there.

Nice to see Titus with some decent characterization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

It was a good episode I liked it, I knew it was animated by Lotto Animation studio, good colouring but not too good lighting, episode 3 still the best visually.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Probably the most entertaining episode yet. Like that we got The Grandmaster as a villain this week. Conjunction was an interesting place. I especially enjoyed the "Boys Are Back in Town" montage. And the Milano got a nice upgrade.

This week seemed to be a good example of corporate greed. Milano and Drax made enough money to get all the repairs and money they needed to fix the Milano and get it space ready, but Rocket let his greed and the thought of getting his very own ship get the better of him.

I thought what The Grandmaster said in response to Star-Lord saying "isn't vaporizing your customers bad for business" interesting. The Grandmaster said, "There will always be more customers." After recently seeing Everest, a statement like that sort of rings true.

Enjoyed the Drax and Gamora rivalry on display. Drax at first refusing to fight and acting noble, but eventually his lust for combat and violence gets the better of him. However, seeing him in a Luchador mask was very entertaining.

9. JoeMabbon

I thought it was more a commentary on the dangers of hyper-competitiveness. Grandmaster just loves games and winning to the point that he is unable to care about anything else. Guess that makes him alot like the Collector as well, in that both gentlemen are ruled by their obsessions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

Where was Rocket's competitiveness? Drax won all their matches and got him all the repairs and upgrades he wanted for the Milano. However, the fight promoter tempted him with double or nothing and the temptation of a new racing ship. That's how the house can kill you in Vegas. Maybe put you on a good run and then when you are on a streak, take it all away by tempting you with more.

11. JoeMabbon

I was comparing The Grandmaster to Drax and Gamora's competition with one another. Yep, Rocket was a straight up gambling parable.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, this episode was fun. Somehow, almost all the jokes seemed to work for me. The only gag that risked being overused was the "No, it's my ship!", but it ended up working.

Rocket's face when Drax kept earning cash was hilarious. It was the look of pure greed. :p

My only complaint is that Grandmaster came off as too silly; surprisingly, I prefer his Ultimate Spider-Man appearance more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Awesome episode!

Love the fights despite them being pretty tame.

Gamora's taunting Drax was real I did not think the writers would get that deep and personal! I wish the fight was longer, I wanted to see more!

Gamora making mistakes is cool, humanizes her and gets her out of the "only smart one" principle Black Widow has on AA.

Ultimate Spiderman Grandmaster is a boss, this one is a scrub.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

A scrub? ....Can't say I've ever heard that term.

Maybe it's because I'm up waaayy too late night working on this book review for History; All I'm imagining at the moment is the Grandmaster as an unfortunate British sailor in the 16th century that's stranded in the Caribbeans scraping barnacles off the bottom of his hole-ridden boat.

Hey-Zeus H. Christo, I need some sleep before I say anything else stupid...

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

A "scrub" is an old school hip hop term that means someone is either "weak",a "terrible player",or a "worthless broke guy". Haven't you heard the old TLC song "NO SCRUBS" before?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some more thoughts about the episode:

- I was expecting the Guardians' stop at Conjunction to have been organized by the Collector - as we saw last episode he's still keeping an eye on the heroes. And since Grandmaster is his "brother" within the Elders of the Universe it would have made some sense they were working together.
    - As goofy as he was, I liked the Grandmaster here. On Ultimate Spider-Man he seems too arrogant to be likable. But he still works rather well as a villain, so I still like that version. His other animated appearances made him look pretty bland so I'm glad we're seeing some more personality traits for this character.
    - I liked how the moral about greed wasn't really the focus of the episode and mentioned throughout the episode, it was a little more subtle than some other previous Marvel shows where they tried to make sure everyone will understand the episode's moral.
    - The moment where Gamora sees through Drax's brilliant disguise in the arena was pretty hilarious. It would have been nice - and a little harder to guess who he really was - if he wore the same armor he had on during the Origin shorts. Though I'm guessing he doesn't have access to that anymore.
    - Neat role for Titus. It was nice seeing him as still one of the good guys, and a pretty competent one as well. And I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of him, either.

• Like Like x 2
    #16 RoyalRubble, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  17. TheVileOne

Reporter

It looks like Titus will be a recurring thorn in the side of the Guardians throughout the season. Perhaps they will eventually become frenemies against Thanos.

18. FTPC

FTPC Member

Mod Note: Video removed. Please link to an official source in the future. Thank you.

and I have a question
    Will the new Milano in further episodes That Rocket and Drax paid for or will the Milano be a flying junk pale again by the next episode?

and supergirl /Rubble you have this episode's title wrong it is this
    "
    It is take the milano and run
    not One In A Million You"
    "

• Like Like x 1
    #18 FTPC, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm guessing the upgrades will remain but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for catching the mistake about the episode title, I have no idea how I missed that for so long.

20. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I liked how this episode took the Guardians to a place not featured in the movie, in addition to its attempts at giving Drax more character.
    I might comment more sporadically for the rest of the season; I just wanted to let people know that the previous episode didn't turn me off of the show.

• Like Like x 2