1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Symbiote War, Parts 1-3" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, May 6, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Guardians of the Galaxy" story-arc!

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy! Disney XD will premiere three new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 11:00AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Symbiote War, Part 1: Wild World"
    Episode Debut - May 6th, 2017
    Written by - David McDermott
    Directed by - Jeff Wamester

The Guardians discover Groot’s homeworld, Planet X, has been overrun by Symbiotes who will stop at nothing to get Groot’s restarted World Pod for themselves to conquer the galaxy.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Symbiote War, Part 2: I Will Survive"
    Written by - Mairghread Scott
    Directed by - James Yang

As a comet covered in Symbiotes comes barreling towards Spartax, the Guardians must team up with Quill’s sister Victoria to save the planet.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Symbiote War, Part 3: Thunder Road"
    Written by - Andrew R. Robinson
    Directed by - Jeff Wamester

When the Symbiotes escape to Asgard and venomize Thor, Odin and the other Asgardians, it’s up to the Guardians to save them, the World Tree and all of existence.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

It was okay. A little disappointed Angela didn't play a bigger role. We only seen her laying down. I hope that's not what Stephen Wacker ment when he said Angela will return.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

This show continues to prove that it is one of the best action cartoons in the past 5 years. It's very unfortunate that next to no one talks about it...

• Like Like x 6
  4. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

It's Dim. Not only that it has Awful voice acting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I quite like the voice acting, especially the main cast.

I thought it was interesting to give the symbiotes an origin of sorts, at least in this animated canon. If I'm understanding what we saw correctly...Thanos created this canon's version of the symbiotes, correct?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a pretty good story-arc. I'll admit I thought it got a little boring at times seeing countless Symbiotes attacking, but there was still some neat stuff spread throughout. I don't really have a lot to say about the episodes, so I'll just add some of the things I liked from each part.

"Wild World" highlights:
    - It was pretty cool seeing an origin for the Symbiotes, along with the introduction of some good versions of their species as well.
    - Some more back-story for Gamora back when she was working for Thanos. That flashback scene with her possessed by a Symbiote was pretty cool.
    - Groot having to choose to destroy his planet so that the Symbiotes wouldn't survive (it didn't exactly work, but that was a pretty nice dramatic moment).
    - Some pretty good comedic scenes like Rocket being excited about the explosion or Quill infecting a Symbiote.

"I Will Survive" highlights:
    - Cool seeing Victoria again, and once more her interactions with Quill were fun. Also pretty nice bringing up J'Son, though he didn't appear in the episode.
    - Thor refusing to comply with the others and choosing to help the Guardians. It was fairly predictable he would choose this but still made for a pretty cool moment.
    - Quill's silly plan to send the comet into the Sun. I thought it was pretty clever, actually, but I liked Rocket's reaction to it.

"Thunder Road" highlights:
    - It was nice seeing Asgard again, and some of its inhabitants, but they could have shown more characters in there. Still, I liked how Heimdall played a pretty big role here.
    - Loki's return wasn't that surprising and his plan wasn't that shocking either. I figured he had some back-up plan when he touched Quill with his scepter, and it should be interesting to see what he'll do next (since I presume we haven't seen the last of him).
    - For some reason, I really liked that silly "Odin is on the ceiling" gag. :p And the ending scene with Rocket and Thor's hammer kind of reminded me of the Silver Surfer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TheLemsterPju

The ghost town that Marvel Animation Age has somewhat become is kinda depressing...It's incredibly difficult to find places to discuss these shows without the usual lack of attention they get or the occasional detractors complaining and harassing fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I hear you. I remember those old days with all these comments for The Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers: EMH, etc. I really miss those late 2000s/early 2010s days when Marvel Animation was on a roll and a lot of people were talking about it.

Marvel Animation has improved now following the changes from 2012, but it's clear that those changes had a major effect and derailed the huge community of people talking about Marvel's animated content with enthusiasm and excitement.

Whether you enjoyed the new shows like Ultimate Spider-Man season 1 and Avengers Assemble season 1 or not, they clearly changed the landscape and now less people are talking about Marvel's animated shows (at least in a positive way).

We can't really do anything about it. I'm just waiting for another show to click with people like EMH or Spec Spidey. Perhaps then, more people will talk about these shows.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

It was fun, I enjoyed the arc.

Now the truth is Marvel lost its fans simple and short.

Marvel do need to start fresh it's the only way people will come back.

Improving the recent shows aperently is not enough.

I find season 2 more interesting than season 1, but yet no hype no love, not much conversations about anything.

All Marvel's fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

How has Marvel lost its fans? Just because you don't like most of the animated shows doesn't mean they have to be made as you deem fit in order for them to be acceptable. Obviously these shows are successful or else they would've been dropped long ago.

Net conversations also do not necessarily equate to a show's popularity or lack thereof either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TheLemsterPju

Thanks, man.

Sorry to derail the topic, but anyways: I'm hoping this show gets another season. Maybe they could have Drax and Gamora leave to do their own thing for a while and have Mantis, Quasar or Warlock join the team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigdaddy313

You can argue with me all you like but it's the truth. They are not popular. It may make some profit in the side but it's not main stream like other shows.

And don't use me and my feelings to justify your arguments, show some respect.

I am enjoying myself but I believe starting fresh will change everything for the better for everyone.

So I guess Loki was in prison from the Avengers show.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #12 bigdaddy313, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  13. TheVileOne

Reporter

Your truth you are espousing is fake nonsense, and you have no facts or proof to back it up. Your posts are just as bad as the fake news stories that said Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and Ultimate Spider-Man were failures and would be gone after one season.

Start fresh with what and how exactly? The problem with your argument is that Marvel doesn't appear to have any interest in starting fresh. They are letting these shows run their natural course and they will start new shows when they see fit, like the end of Ultimate Spider-Man and the start of the new series to coincide with Homecoming.

They aren't starting fresh with Avengers. The show is about to get its fourth season. Guardians is still in its second. They are launching a new Spider-Man show. If fans are liking and enjoying the shows, why do they need to start fresh? Why is that better for everyone? It's not better for everyone bigdaddy313. What you fail to admit is that you think it's better for you.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 TheVileOne, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty strong and enjoyable arc, and a nice break from the Believer's/Warlock storyline. All in all I'd say the story was generally well-told and it was nice to see some old characters and places from season 1 again in a big way. There was also some great action and character moments sprinkled throughout each part, so overall I'd say this was a pretty awesome arc for Guardians :D.

Has the show gotten a budget boost or something? The animation for this 3-parter seemed generally better and more consistent then it has been in the past, especially compared to the season premiere. Maybe it was better coloring and lighting o_O?

I'm so used to the Symbiotes having personalities or being attached to hosts in a significant way like with Venom and Carnage, so it's interesting seeing them purely as this feral, infectious, alien race on par with the Xenomorphs of Aliens fame. It doesn't leave them with much of a memorable personality as a result, but it does create a very effective force of nature for our heroes to contend with, as well as some cool visuals as the Symbiotes infected everything they got their tentacles over :evil:.

Even stuck in the Earth's core, Thanos is still causing trouble for the heroes. The cocoon? Thanos. The Symbiotes? Thanos. He's not even the main villain anymore and the Guardians are still having to deal with his messes. And that's not even getting into how we're getting even more insight into the kind of abuse he subjected Gamora to as a child :eek:.

I sometimes forget whether the other Guardians can actually understand Groot or if it's just inconsistently written, but seeing Groot fix up that Symbiote container was cool. It shows that he's not just a dumb tree, and can be pretty creative and tech savvy when he wants to be :cool:.

The Klyntar as the "true" identity of the Symbiotes was from the Brian Michael Bendis Guardians run, so it was interesting seeing that included here. Most depictions of the Symbiote just refer to it as an alien substance, never really diving into it's origins, so I guess that's one thing unique to Guardians' take on them ;).

I was wondering if we would see each of the Guardians infected by a Symbiote, but seeing the Guardians pair up with a Klyntar was a neat twist. The Guardian's combined forms with the Kylntar were pretty cool, as were the upgrades they gave to the team. Star-Lord's even seemed to morph it's face into his mask from the DnA Guardians run :D!

Groot's mission of reviving his people has been his goal ever since his origin short before the series even began, so sacrificing his chance to do that yet again to stop the Symbiotes, after Warlock had given him hope he could finally save them, was a big moment for him. I almost kind of feel like we should've seen him agonizing over what to do more, given what was at stake :ack:.

But I guess in the end everything worked out, with Groot finding a planet to lay his world's seed and the Klyntar vowing to watch over it. The only downside is that it might take centuries for Groot's people to sprout up again, but hopefully Groot is able to live long enough to see it someday :anime:.

It was nice getting to come back to Spartax and see Victoria again, as well as get more interaction between Peter and his baby sister :proud:.

I guess it figures that Victoria, being the noble and honorable person that she is and having been so disillusioned by her father's disgrace, would take her duty to her people to near suicidal lengths. So it was good to see Peter inspire in her that you can be a good leader to your people without having to sacrifice yourself for them, and certainly without turning into the selfish egomaniac J'Son turned into :mad:.

Quill may be more creative then his sister when it comes to ideas, especially when he's got his team behind him, but she's got one thing over him...being practical :rolleyes2:.

I had a feeling Thor was the dissenting voice in the council, given it seemed out-of-character for him to write off Spartax and the Guardians like that, as well as his overall silence during the scene with the council. But it was pretty cool getting a big hero moment by coming in and frying the Symbiotes with his lightning :cool:.

Heimdall was kind of unnecessarily rude to the Guardians in this episode, at least up until the end. I get they wanted to go for the whole, "noble warriro forced to work with the loveable band of misfits who he grows to respect in the end" plot, but Heimdall's attitude towards the team felt kind of grating at times. Granted, they may not have necessarily left the best impression last season :ack:.

Anyone hoping for Angela or any other major Asgardian getting a major role in this episode will probably be disappointed, as most of them are pretty much just unconscious cameos before they're infected by the Symbiotes. Anyone hoping for an appearance from Sif or Valkyrie will also probably be disappointed, though there were some figures resembling them in that group of unconscious Asgardians. I guess something is better then nothing :sweat:?

Guardians continues to deliver one of the stronger takes on Loki since EMH and the movies. Absolutely self-serving and willing to use any situation to his advantage, and his alone, watching him play the Guardians for fools and keep them guessing at his true goals was pretty fun and engaging. And while Troy Baker has never been my favorite Loki voice (nor Hawkeye for that matter), I think this episode was one of his stronger performance as the God of Mischief :evil:.

Loki's absolutely blase attitude to what was going on around him, and his imprisonment, was also pretty entertaining. It really gives you a sense of the headaches Thor has probably had to deal with fighting him all these years...but even in defeat, Loki still manages to trick his way into a victory :mad:.

It was nice to hear Frank Welker as Odin again and getting to see Odin really cut loose with the Odin Force since we usually don't get to see that (beyond the fact that Odin has had a pretty minimal presence in the current cartoons). I also can't recall too many times when Odin's been focibly awoken from the Odinsleep, so being forced out of it by a Symbiote transformation was an unexpected (but cool) twist :eek:.

I'm almost kind of surprised Odin let Loki go when he realized that Loki had messed with Peter's mind so that Quill would ask for his release upon being granted a request by Odin. At least exile him or saddle Loki with something so he doesn't get off scott free again like last season :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bigdaddy313

Hey I said show some respect and calm down.

Don't put me in that category of given fake facts.

The argument is not weather it's doing well or not it is that they have lost their fans, like hardcore fans who dedicate themselves to social, spreading their desire, conversation, fun argument about episodes like before.

This is the only true place that we talk about this shows.

The only people really watching this is us and some casual people including kids.

Like I said I am having fun but if you truly like things to go back to the way it was starting fresh it's the way to go.

We are all waiting for the new show, I know it takes a while for this things to be made and processed like what steven Wacker said, but it's a start.

And I never said they are not interested in starting fresh, I mean we have a new spider-man show coming soon.

The shows at the beginning where obvious cash grab, people didn't like it, they left and moved on to other things.

And I can't believe you are sitting there arguing, defending people who are making more money than you and I.

And this arc was interesting by the way people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Folks, let's please keep the discussion centered around the events of the 3-parter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Part 1 of the Symbiote War was really good. I mean, really good. I'm glad Adam Warlock's role in the last episode still had an effect here as Groot was able to restore his planet/people. Unfortunately, the Symbiote had to mess it up.

Gamora's backstory about being used as a symbiote experiment was really horrible for her. Thanos was a disgusting individual. I did find it interesting that Gamora had the yellow circles/ovals around her eyes like the comics. Perhaps that was a part of her teenage state for her species.

What Thanos did to the Klyntar species was surely just one of the evil acts he committed. Just like Gamora's backstory, this was another emotional story from the past. I felt pretty bad for Groot when Gamora suggested to blow up his planet because of the rogue Symbiote but it made sense. After his planet blew up and a tear rolled down his face, I felt very sad for Groot. :(

I really enjoyed Will Friedle's Klyntar Star-Lord voice. All the Klyntar voices were great actually and I especially liked the designs of Klyntar Gamora, Rocket and Groot. Rocket saying “Oh... yeah...” felt like a really cool reference to the 2014 movie without feeling like a copycat moment. It was also interesting to see an episode with only the main cast members as the voice actors.

This was a pretty emotional episode and I truly felt the pain of the characters. Once again, another strong episode of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Part 2 of the Symbiote War was pretty good. It was nice to see Captain Victoria as Empress Victoria. Peter and Victoria bonding was very sweet and I enjoyed their antics nearly as much as I enjoyed their heart to heart when Victoria revealed that she, understandably, wanted to be a better leader than J'Son. It made sense to bring up that jerk since Victoria took his place. Her desire to sacrifice herself was noble. I found it interesting that the emotional aspect of the story shifted from Groot and Gamora to Star-Lord and Victoria.

It was great to see the Grand Council again after seeing more episodes with the Grand Commissioner of Rigel. At first, I thought Thor was just going to be a silent cameo and saved for the last part for the story, but it was great to see how noble and honorable he was in helping out the team. His lightning definitely came in handy as well. ;) Too bad the symbiote got him.

I have to say I always love seeing Thor on this show because it's not common. I'm kind of glad he wasn't in the Avengers opening episodes for season two. I didn't think those episodes were as good as they could've been, but more importantly, I think not seeing Thor for this long made his return here more enjoyable.

I was happy to see the Guardians defend Peter (and Victoria) so loyally when General Glogug wanted to blow up the asteroid. I also loved seeing Gamora in her black and white costume from the comics! Even if it was brief, they actually did it! :D

This was a pretty good episode with a slight horror twist and great cliffhanger.

Part 3 of the Symbiote War was a pretty solid finale. It was nice to see Heimdall help the Guardians try to stop Thor from reaching Yggdrasil, though he did seem a little unnecessarily uptight.

Groot proved his skills when he unleashed his multi-arm sword attack! That was so cool! Groot had a lot of moments in these three episodes and that included his slingshot move with Heimdall and Drax.

It was fun to hear the Guardians banter with each other. (Star-Lord: I got one! Gamora: Just one?) The banter in this show is often fun like Rocket's line about the Asgardians not using their weapons after Heimdall criticized them. I did like how Gamora complemented the efficiency of Rocket's technology.

It was also fun to hear the Guardians banter with Loki again. Loki double crossing the team was expected (just as Rocket even stated) though his plan to send the infected Asgardians to Midgard seemed especially villainous for him.

Gamora's sacrifice was a pretty strong moment as she cited her role as a Guardian of the Galaxy. It was a pretty heroic moment and proved the team's name isn't just a title. I did find it odd that she didn't use her energy shield though.

I was surprised to see Odin affected by the symbiote, because there was almost no way to stop Thor, let alone him. Fortunately, Rocket's cool electricity sword gun saved Thor, who saved Odin and stopped the madness. If anyone could beat the symbiote for good, it was going to be Odin. I'm glad the All-Father got to speak in this episode.

Overall, this was another fantastic multi-part Guardians event and I liked that it came out alongside Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. This show really knows how to do events!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

The way Loki manipulated them was awesome. Great series that got better and better. Wish we saw more Thor villains.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I thought this was a pretty good set of episodes. Strong characterization and good use of the setting throughout. My biggest complaint would be the Symbiotes. They're pretty lackluster antagonists, one step above zombies. They have no motivation beyond spreading and since no one can die or suffer long-term from being infected, they're not threatening. Fortunately, the writers seeded the episodes with deeper, more meaningful stories (Will Groot save his homeworld? Why is Victoria so dead set on martyrdom?) to offset this weakness.

Reminded me of this:[​IMG]

Loki's in and out of prison like a meth addict.

The best villains cast a shadow that is felt long after they're defeated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Lol. I'm surprised we didn't see Ulik as well.

I agree. Up until the 3rd episode I didn't find the villain (the symbiotes) to be all that compelling but I still love the first two episodes because of the strong voice acting and character interaction. Loved Victoria, she's awesome and its cool to see her and Star Lord actually love each other.

My favorite was episode 3 only because while Loki was the villain (again) he was really compelling, smart and fun. That was a good Loki.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1