1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Stuck in the Metal With You" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 6, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD! Will Drax the Destroyer manage to destroy the Destroyer Armor?

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Stuck in the Metal With You"
    Episode Debut - March 6th, 2016
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Todd Garfield

The Guardians find the Asgardian Destroyer Armor that leads to an epic battle pitting the Destroyer Armor against Drax the Destroyer.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Something about Gamora's eyes, and lack of eyelashes, just feels....eerie. In a good way, I mean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a decent, relatively-action packed episode, with a few cool surprises and action sequences to keep my attention :).

This episode really emphasized the Asgardians being strong, long-lived, human-like space aliens as established in the MCU, which works in integrating them into the show and the Guardians' universe fairly easily. Even Loki was called the "Prince of Mischief" here rather then his traditional moniker of the "God of Mischief." Interesting that they've also apparently had dealings with the Spartax, and a truce between the two races, one that seems tied to the Cosmic Seed and that Loki seeks to upset. Kinda neat to pit a group based around Norse Mythology against one based in Greek society ;).

I wonder why Peter was so resistant to going to Spartax, especially after he seemed really interested in his heritage and what it meant back when he first discovered the relation back the premier? Is he worried about what he might discover, and that finding out where he came from won't live up to the ideal he's had in his head for so long? It also could be related to the fact that, even after getting out of Yondu's clutches, he's apparently never bothered or attempted to go back home to Earth. It seems Peter has a hard time facing things related to himself and his family o_O.

Nice cameos from Odin, Thor, and apparently a younger J'Son, who looks like a more dashing, heroic, version of Quill. Would be interesting to get some flashbacks to J'Son in his prime and his dealings with the Cosmic Seed and the Asgardians...

The Black Order also making an appearance to capture the Guardians for Thanos was a great surprise, and I hope we see them more as reccurring antagonists dogging the team for their master, and it was quite a sight to see Supergiant take down pretty much the entire team (even if most of their weapons had been shut off beforehand, admittedly). Never mess with a woman scorned :eek:.

Jeez Drax, I know you take pride in being a Destroyer, but you didn't need to get all Highlander about it :p.

When did the Destroyer Armor become an Iron Man Armor with attitude? I mean, in the comics, it's been controlled before and by other peoples spirits, but Rocket was basically just using it as a bigger and more powerful version of the Iron Man Armor. At least it was cleaning the Guardians' clocks for most of the episode, in spite of Drax's surprising ability to lift up its foot and damage its visor, so it wasn't a terrible outing for the Destroyer this episode :cool:.

Really happy we got to see Cosmo back and taking on the Destroyer with his powers, since as soon as the Guardians got to Knowhere I was really hoping we'd get to see that :D.

As far as Loki episodes go, I thought this was fine and he came off at least a little more powerful and successful as a manipulator then he has in past appearances. I also felt Troy Baker gave a bit more of a stronger and more natural performance as Loki here, for the most part. Though once the Guardians got his scepter away from him and Rocket got back control of the Destroyer, he went down pretty quickly. Though that was one brutal breatdown by Rocket. Surprised there wasn't a "Puny God" comment at the end of it :sweat:.

So Odin is in the Odinsleep and Thor is ruling Asgard in his stead, and Loki is planning to use his encounter with the Guardians to trick his brother into engaging a new war with the Spartax. I guess that explains why in a future episode Thor and Angela are after the Guardians, though I have a fear that this is all going to make Thor look bad on the show :(.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Knowhere feels like the hub world in a video game.

I really liked this one. The action sequences were well-done. Loki didn't seem forced as in often does in the MAU. The Guardians all got nifty character beats that played on what we know. There were lots of little gags, like Quill's confident face, the put upon bartender, Rocket in a high chair, that worked within the episode without being overplayed. Cosmos even got in on the action.

All in all a strong showing and it even looks like we're on track to get some answers about the Cosmic Seed to boot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

The shaking robot bartender? Yeah, that was a nice background gag.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was pleasantly surprised to see they came up with a good and rather unique story featuring the Destroyer armor, without it getting tedious or too silly. There's just so much you can do with an unstoppable suit of armor that only destroys everything in its path. I liked how the armor wasn't exactly the focus of the story this time, and all the extra bits about the Asgardians, the possible war between them and the Spartax, the Black Order returning, etc. Even Loki's introduction was good; I wasn't really in any hurry to see him animated again but his role here was pretty great.

The action scenes were great. I admit Rocket and Drax got kind of annoying throughout the episode with their desires to wear the armor, and to destroy the armor, respectively. But it wasn't over-played and got things moving along nicely so I can't really complain. Great to see Cosmo taking part in a brief fight scene, too. The humor worked again at pretty much every turn and made for a very enjoyable episode.

And I like how the story is playing out, looking forward to more stuff about the Cosmic Seed to be revealed in future episodes. Neat cameos from Odin, Thor and I'm guessing J'Son, who should be showing up soon enough. With Thor confirmed to appear later on, I think a war between the Spartax and the Asgardians on this show could be pretty entertaining.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I definitely get the sense they are seeding a later conflict with Spartax and the Asgardians through the machinations of Loki. I imagine the Guardians will be smack dab in the middle of a civil war between both races and will have to try and bring Thor and the other Asgardians to their senses.

I hope this means we could potentially see Thor King of Asgard for the series.

I enjoyed this episode. This season has done a good job of building up to a big blowoff, so I hope the climax of this cosmic seed story will be worth the wait. And now they are finally going to Spartax, will be curious to see how it's depicted in the show.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

OK, now this is getting stupid by not respecting the continuity between all the animated series. Since when does the Destroyer fly or have a pilot chamber? This is more like one of Iron Man's armors than the Destroyer we have seen until now. What the shell is going on here?!!!

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't think they are trying to respect previous continuity of their older shows. They are playing a loose continuity where this series is basically a standalone show with the Guardians doing their thing in space.

I think if we continue trying to connect Guardians with Ultimate Spidey, Avengers and Agents of SMASH it just becomes more and more problematic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Its sort of weird how Chris didn't know who Loki was but still a pretty good episdoe