1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Stayin' Alive" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, tonight at 9:00PM ET on Disney XD! Tune in for the Second Season premiere, guest-starring the Avengers!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Stayin' Alive"
    Episode Debut - March 11th, 2017
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Marty Isenberg

While trying to dispose of Thanos’ asteroid, the Guardians discover it has been taken to a secure facility that belongs to the Avengers.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As someone who was eagerly awaiting the return of Guardians of the Galaxy, and was definitely excited for the season 2 premier, I have to say I was kind of underwhelmed by this episode :(.

Maybe it's because after the strong quality of season 1's writing and the idea of seeing the Avengers and Guardians together I was expecting something a little more exciting and notable, but this felt pretty by-the-numbers as far as team-ups go. I also didn't feel like this was one of the stronger written episodes of Guardians either. I thought the second episode was definitely an improvement, but this didn't feel like a strong way to start the season :sad:.

If anyone was hoping for an animation bump for Guardians' second season, prepare to be disappointed. The animation and character designs are still fairly choppy and prone to moments of poor quality, and the coloring is still subdued and inconsistent. It makes me hope that Marvel's Spider-Man will have Marvel Animation go back to outsourcing :ack:.

Guardians continues to tease you with one or three seconds of famous music before completely dropping them :harley:.

Why the heck did Groot just thrash Banner like that? He had no idea he was the Hulk prior to that, and he just threw him around and into things. That could've killed him :eek:.

When Drax mentioned Thanos clawing his way out of the Earth's core, I thought to myself...he probably will :evil:.

I'm not even going to try and hazard a guess what's going on with the continuity in the Marvel cartoons, because it's obvious the writers don't give a hoot at this point :rolleyes:.

So I guess the Avengers Compound is now the official base of The Avengers in all the cartoons, for synergy (continuity be darned), which is kind of a shame since it's probably one of their least remarkable bases as far as design goes. At least Avengers Mansion and Avengers Tower stand out from your average army base :shrug:.

When did Drax become strong enough to hold back The Hulk and take punches from Captain Marvel without moving an inch? I mean, I know he's strong, but this was kind of pushing it o_O.

And I get that Gamora probably used Hulk's own momentum and mass against him, but it still felt off seeing Gamora sweep him. It's not like she's Black Widow with her secret super-strength :yawn:.

Quill not believing Cap was really Cap was a fun moment, one I can actually see happening in the movies :anime:.

So Mick Wingert is now our new, official Iron Man voice...maybe it's just because I've heard Pasdar in the role for so long that I've just gotten so used to him as MAU Iron Man, but I'm just not really impressed by Wingert's performance as Tony here. I'm not even sure what he's trying to do, either a bad RDJ impersonation, a bad Pasdar impersonation, or just some generic smarmy voice that only marginally sounds fitting for Tony Stark. Suffice it to say, I think it'll take a while before I adjust to Tony's new voice :sad:.

After all they went through, I kind of have a hard time picturing Thor calling Peter "buffoonish," and I'm not sure if I could see him calling the Guardians with such a generic descriptor as "band of misfits." Though I guess that answers the question of whether the Thor from season 1 had joined The Avengers yet :sweat:.

The Avengers having a giant orbital satellite that could wipe out a whole city as part of their security protocols seemed a tad...excessive and dangerous to the populace at large. At least when the Justice League got called out on having a giant death beam in space, they eventually took it down :rolleyes2:.

Drax taking The Avengers' name so seriously was probably the most entertaining part of the episode :p.

Every time Scott mentions "Pym Particles" I'm reminded how the cartoons refuse to acknowledge the man who actually invented said particles. I was even more bothered by Scott talking about Cap as a mentor and father figure, which we've both never really seen before on the cartoons and is supposed to be Hank's role in Scott's life :mad:.

Peter and Scott bonding over being "outlaws" was weird since MAU Scott Lang was never actually a criminal in this continuity. He sold tech to villains, yes, but I was always under the impression that he did so legally and got out the moment he realized he was selling to criminals (like the Circus of Crime). It's like they can't make up their minds what they want this version of Ant-Man to be like :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

"When did Drax become strong enough to hold back The Hulk and take punches from Captain Marvel without moving an inch? I mean, I know he's strong, but this was kind of pushing it o_O.

And I get that Gamora probably used Hulk's own momentum and mass against him, but it still felt off seeing Gamora sweep him. It's not like she's Black Widow with her secret super-strength :yawn:."

Drax and Gamora's strength has always depended on who is writing them at the time. Like Drax will go from "barely super strong" to fighting Thor within two appearances. Dude Black Widow knocked Absorbing Man off a cliff after he absorbed rock by kicking him in US. Gamora's never done anything like that and lets hope she doesn't start flying around space, punching out dudes like Magus in one hit lol.

I'm with everyone else, I was underwhelmed. The first episode was a great adventure in terms of exploration but the fights and the team up that led to it were stupid. The GotG using Iron-Man's suits to escape was hilarious and perfectly in character.

I hope High Evolutionary isn't dead. He was a cool villain. They dropped a lot of his back story but he's a Marvel Cosmic character so his back story is needlessly complex and contains a whole season worth of stories it were actually followed.

I wish we saw Gamora vs. Black Widow. Yes, woman on woman fights are generally dumb and sloppily written but I like their anti-chemistry. Like last BW and G appeared on screen together they just insulted each other and it was hilarious.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from the usual contrived reasons for the heroes to fight each other, this was basically an average episode (which is a bad thing, IMO, since this was supposed to be a big crossover event). And yeah, Ms. Marvel not being able to punch out Drax was eyebrow-raising.

Peter finally getting his Ipad thing was a fun moment. Too bad he couldn't keep it. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Well what do you know they meet for the first time, I guess we can't count AA season 1 and their second meeting in season 2 with their new look. Continuity in this animated universe is messed up to the point I don't care anymore.

Man oh man oh man the animation is worse than season 1 visually. The color looks so dull might as well make it black and white. I see why the increased the contrast for the trailer cause Disney XD new. Marvel should outsource their animation product since they can't bother to use Disney's resources.

The usuall meet, fight and join hands to save the world, talk about over using the same plot device, I won't be surprised kids fall asleep for that one.

It's unfortunate cause I thought the writing was quite strong last season but then this is only the first episode so we will see.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I don't mean to ruin your hopes but Wacker already confirmed Marvel's Spider-Man is animated by the in-house team. Hopefully it's more stylized as we've seen with the promotional art.

As for the Guardians episode, well, it let me down. I have higher expectations for this show because it's been the best Marvel animated show from its beginning since The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes in my opinion (no offense to the early episodes of USM, Avengers Assemble and Hulk). While not as good as EMH, Guardians of the Galaxy has always been more consistently good than the other shared universe shows even though it has its issues.

Just like the last season one episodes, this episode was disappointing to me. It felt average, but at least Captain Marvel and Ant-Man were there instead of the standard team for Avengers Assemble (though it does break continuity). I would've like to see the other Avengers from Assemble (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, Thor) who always seem to be left out of these crossovers besides Thor but I understand that they just wanted five members to match the Guardians. Captain America and Hulk could've had some lighting/shadow tweaking, but otherwise they looked pretty decent to me.

Mick Wingert's Iron Man took some getting used to but he certainly didn't sound generic to me. I think he sounded better in Frost Fight and Lego Avengers Reassembled, but I'm totally up for getting used to his Iron Man. I think hearing Adrian Pasdar in the role for so long would even make Eric Loomis returning from EMH jarring just because we're so used to Pasdar. Overall, the Avengers didn't really come off as "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" to me. Even with the misunderstanding, the team should've felt like an inspiring group of heroes in my eyes.

The banter was okay, but some of it felt silly and unnecessary. The New Avengers Facility in the MCU seems to be the inspiration for this Avengers Compound but it felt plain here. If this really is still the past, I guess the Avengers upgrade to Avengers Mansion later, though once again Carol Danvers and Scott Lang were on the team which makes no sense. Okay episode, weak season premiere in my opinion, I'm sad to say.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't really have much to say about this episode. It was pretty cool seeing the Guardians and the Avengers together (for the 1st time, apparently), but having them fight each other got tedious fast enough. Some of the fight scenes were neat but that's about it.

It was good seeing more of Captain Marvel since she only had a couple of appearances on Avengers Ultron Revolution (but should appear more often on the 4th Season). Iron Man's new voice actor is decent but didn't really leave any impression on me. Hopefully he'll be more convincing on their own show.

The continuity is pretty bad (and personally I thought it was kind of loose from the start of this new animated universe), but as long as the stories they come up with are entertaining enough I don't really mind. Sadly, this episode wasn't all that enjoyable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Hack Fraud

I think there's one throwaway line about Ant-Man and Captain Marvel being there because they were helping out with something earlier. After that they just pretend like they're ordinary teammates.

I think Wingert would have benefited from a meatier role that gave him a bit more room to flex in his debut. He has a relatively small role in the episode which makes the change feel distracting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that might have been one of my more major issues with his performance.

It felt like he was stuck in "smarmy and snarky" mode for practically all his lines, as if he was trying to do a quick RDJ impersonation, so it didn't feel like there was any nuance or flexibility to his performance. Part of that may have been that he's kind of abruptly taking over for Pasdar in a crossover for another cartoon (though this isn't his first go-around as Iron Man).

Compare that with Grant George or Roger Craig Smith who've more or less eased into their roles by now. Or Tatasicore who's been The Hulk for about a decade by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One more thing I forgot to mention - I liked that short scene where Star-Lord recognized Captain America (or rather, his uniform). It kind of makes sense, considering he's one of the oldest heroes in the Marvel Universe and probably one of the few Quill knew about before leaving Earth. Though I am guessing Cap was still frozen at the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Honestly I preferred Mick Wingert's version of Tony Stark. Is it just me or did he sound a lot more like Eric Loomis? No disrespect to Adrian Pasdar, but he's just never sounded like the ideal Tony/Iron Man to me. He kind of does his own thing with it, and that's fine, but I dunno. I just don't hear Tony Stark when I hear his voice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Loomis and Wingert are similar in sounding like Robert Downey Jr., but for Loomis it was actually his natural voice while Wingert comes off as doing an impression.

I wouldn't say Pasdar was my ideal voice for Tony either, but he felt like a more natural fit for the role then Wingert so far. But obviously he had a lot more time as Iron Man by this point.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Now by comparison to other animated Iron Man voices, I think I also prefer Richard Hays and Marc Worden to all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ourcheats

ourcheats New Member

For me 5 stars. I really like this one :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Did not care for this episode, Im going to parrot what everyone here said and say that this episode was underwhelming. Seriously you think the crossover with Marvel Animation's two biggest superhero teams would be interesting but it felt like a bore. Also the animation got really worse, the backgrounds were horrible, some of the animation felt stilted and some of the character design felt wonky.