1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Space Cowboys" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

100.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Guardians are back! Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Space Cowboys"
    Episode Debut - February 21st, 2016
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Mairghread Scott

The Guardians get caught up in a rivalry between The Collector and The Grandmaster.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

This is the second episode I've tried since the premiere and I still don't like it. I get it uses the movie as a starting point but I don't need constant reminders of it. Another issue I have is Will Fredle. Normally I love it when he's cast in a show but when he does that whiny Ron Stoppable voice, no I'll pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, a really mediocre episode for the show to return to. It wasn't particularly funny or exciting, and the climax almost bordered on annoying and Yondu's inclusion was so random.

Well, Drax being "cautious" regarding the Moombas was amusing, but the joke was maybe overused by the end.

Also, way too much drooling. I wouldn't want them as pets. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was nice to have the Guardians back, as well as seeing Cosmo and Knowhere again, and in what I thought was a decent and fun episode :).

I thought the Collector was a lot more effective a villain in this episode than in his debut, and Tom Kenny's Benicio Del Toro impression/performance to be easier to listen to as well, and I was happy to see them address his family relationship with the Grandmaster and their rivalry. Though it was kind of ironic that, for all he was talked about and how much stake he had in the episode, the Grandmaster never actually appeared :sweat:.

I was wondering when we would see Dey (with Jeff Glenn Bennet doing his best John C. Reilly) in the present day after seeing him in Drax's short, and it figures he would come into the series catching Quill and the Guardians in the middle of a criminal act (even if it was unknowing on the Guardians' part). Though unlike Titus, he was willing to work with the Guardians and listen to their side of the story instead of just blindly arresting them. And he and Quill still have their kind of weird rapport :p.

I'm starting to feel like I should count how long Peter keeps his Star-Lord mask on. I think this is the longest he's had it on in one episode so far. I kinda wish he'd use it more, but I can understand why it sees so little use given how little it was actually used in the movie (but the movie had the excuse of Chris Pratt so...). It's like Optimus Prime's faceplate from Animated o_O.

Drax's rigid paranoia against the animals, somewhat founded as it was, and his cowboy routine was pretty funny. He also pulled off the cowboy look better then Peter did in my opinion :cool:.

So...I guess now the Collector is going to be wanted by the Nova Corps.? Though, now that I think about it, wasn't the Grandmaster arrested by Titus in his last appearance? And now he's somehow still in charge of Conjunction. I wonder if both brothers are wanted by the Corps. :confused:?

I kinda smiled at that moment when Peter was about to Bridal Carry Gamora :D.

Yondu and the Ravagers turning up was a surprise, though I should've figured he'd make an appearance since we already had James Arnold Taylor as Cosmo in the episode. I can't say he really added much to the episode other then more of a direct antagonist for the Guardians to fight instead of The Collector, and the show's really starting to hammer in just how much Yondu doesn't care about Quill :eek:.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Yeah, that's about my opinion too. I rolled my eyes when Yondu showed up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think this was the weakest episode of the show, so far. The story was pretty lackluster and nothing really memorable happened. I didn't really care for the Collector in his first appearance and this episode was disappointing as well. On the other hand, I was kind of looking forward to the Garndmaster, but he didn't even appear. It was neat they revealed the fact the two are brothers, and I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of their sibling rivalry.

On the Guardians' side of things, again nothing too memorable. Drax had some decent scenes, with his reactions and connection to the Moombas. I agree he looked cooler than Quill wearing that cowboy hat, and also liked his initial line about how the hat doesn't resemble neither a cow or a boy.

Other than that, this was a pretty good introduction for Rhomann Dey, and a decent comeback for Cosmo. Yondu's inclusion once again seemed kind of forced but it did make things escalate some more and lead to some decent action scenes. It was nice the Guardians managed to win in the end (no surprise there) and even use the Moombas to their own advantage to get past that gravity field. But overall, a disappointing and pretty boring episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1