1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Rock Your Baby" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 15, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 2:00PM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Rock Your Baby"
    Episode Debut - April 15th, 2017
    Written by - Mairghread Scott
    Directed by - James Yang

When the cocoon opens and reveals a baby warlock inside, the Guardians have to step in to be a positive guiding force to keep his powers in check.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

So the baby is Adam Warlock?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

Yes he was very cool

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

If Adam Warlock can fix the Nova Helmet, maybe he can fix the Quantum Bands? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really, really, enjoyed this episode. I thought it was one of the show's strongest episodes and a great way to close out the arc with the sarcophagus and today's marathon. We got good action, strong character drama, cool visuals, fun moments here and there, intriguing developments and mysteries, and inspirational moments all in one episode. It's almost the complete, full, package :D

I loved everything with Adam Warlock in this episode. There was obviously the fun in seeing the Guardians, of all people, trying to take care of a child with near-omnipotent abilities, but there was also a sense of mystery and horror as to who Warlock is and what he could do if left unchecked and the kind of anguish that can bring to a young, impressionable, mind :ack:.

And the writers also weren't afraid to show how horrifying the Soul Gem can be, contrasting the playfulness of the beginning where Adam absorbs weapons and duck-tape so casually with Adam blasting those Nova Corps. ships and vaporizing Titus :eek:.

I also really liked the design they came up with for Adam here. It feels like a good amalgam of all of Warlock's various looks while also modernizing his classic look. Most of the time Marvel Animation just adapts movie or comic designs exactly, with various degrees of success, but here I think is one of the first times they've delivered a really cool, unique, design for an iconic character like Adam Warlock :cool:.

I think this episode had a really strong showing for Quill. His connection and protectiveness over Warlock, eventually even giving him a name, was endearing, and his going into the storm and inspiring Warlock to not be defined by his destiny or what others said should be was a really powerful and cool moment. I joke about Peter's man-child tendencies often enough, but I liked how that led him to develop a bond with Adam here :proud:.

Star-Lord and Adam Warlock had a subtle, but strong, bond in the comics and I'm very interested to see how Peter and Adam's relationship and connection to each other will further grow and develop over the course of this season. It has the potential to be a very compelling and engaging relationship to see play out, and I hope the show will allow it too :anime:

I'm curious to see exactly why there are so many different interpretations and perspectives on Warlock. One minute he's the savior of an entire race, a benevolent God and deity for the universe, the next he's a being of pure evil who's caused nothing but destruction. Even Thanos seems to have had some history with Warlock, to the point where he was the only being the Mad Titan ever truly feared :ack:.

Of course this obviously highlights the dichotomy between Warlock and the Magus, and the potential for this Warlock to either embrace his inherent goodness or succumb to the darkness, but it seems there's been numerous examples of both happening in the past. I wonder if Warlock abides by his own kind of reincarnation cycle and we're just witnessing his latest incarnation o_O?

And then there's his relation to the Nova Corps....were they founded to protect him to begin with, or were those elite knights developed on their own after the Corps. encountered Warlock on Xandar? And I'm assuming they were all wiped out when Warlock last turned into the Magus, as depicted in that vision :eek:.

I was surprised, in a good way, to see Titus make his big return here. He was one of the Guardians' earliest recurring foes, but it had been so long since they'd imprisoned him that I wasn't sure we'd ever see him again. But here he returns with the Black Nova helmet in tow and proves to be a formidable antagonist for our heroes and a corrupting influences on Warlock, the bad influence that pushes Adam to evil in contrast to the dysfunctional, but genuine, parenting the Guardians gave him. Overall, he was a very strong antagonist for this episode, even if he ultimately bit off more then he could chew :evil:.

So did Adam vaporize Titus or absorb him into his Soul Gem like he did everything else? It looked like the former more then it did the latter, especially since Adam was in Magus mode when he did it, but they seemed to imply at the end that Titus was just stuck in there and not dead. Kinda uncomfortable to think that Adam's got Nebula, Yondu, the High-Evolutionary, and now Titus stuck inside him though :eek:.

That was actually a pretty compelling question to throw at Drax...could he, knowing what he knows and how much he hates Thanos, kill him as a child? Would Gamora be able to do it? They both seemed to ultimately agree they would, but somehow I don't think they would really be prepared for actually doing the deed :crying:.

Somehow I just knew Tara Strong was going to voice baby/kid Warlock :rolleyes2:.

When I first heard him speak, I thought for a second they'd cast Will Wheaton as Adam Warlock, but lo and behold it turns out it's Eric Bauza doing an uncanny Will Wheaton impression (on-top of is George Takei-esque performance as the Rigellian High Commissioner). Still, I like what we hear of his Warlock, so solid choice there, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Bauza's take on the character ;).

I'm guessing that Nova helmet Adam fixed and sent off will find Sam Alexander so he can become the new Nova, though hopefully in doing so it'll give him an attitude adjustment so that when he debuts on this show he's a virtually different (and better) character then he was in USM :sweat:.

Warlock saying Groot was the true savior for his people seems to imply there's still some hope for Groot to save his people with their seed, which I believe we'll see in detail in the next arc :).

I was kind of disappointed to see Adam leave the team by the end of this episode, since I was hoping he'd stick around for a while (Peter even called him a Guardian), but he would probably be too overpowered to leave with the group indefinitely. I hope it's not too long before we next see him again on his journey, and we see further interaction between him and the group as an adult. I imagine the we haven't seen the last of the Believers so I'm guessing they'll still be after Adam fort he Patriarch, though maybe Adam will have Pip the Troll in tow when next we meet him :D?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

And the guest star I've been waiting all season for finally makes his appearance, and it didn't disappoint.

A baby with cosmic power will never not be trouble. I suppose the best thing one can do is just try to distract it. Good thing Warlock grew so fast.

I wasn't expecting a Magus cameo. I wonder if we'll see him in time for the season finale or something.

That tiger villain didn't have the best plan, admittedly. He'd train Warlock, and then...assume that Warlock wouldn't overpower him? It was funny seeing him try to be "patient" with the kid, though. He wouldn't make a good babysitter.

Peter's speech near the end was pretty good. Even he has his moments.

Yeah, I guess Warlock would be too OP to keep around (like that helmet).

But a really strong end to this batch. Hopefully the symbiote arc is just as strong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Love it. Great throwback to the 70s comics where Guardians was just super weird. Titus being destroyed so easily was a perfect and accurate display of Warlock's power.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Universal Believers have mentioned their "Patriarch" before, so if the show stays true to the comics I imagine we'll see the Magus turn-up sooner rather then later :evil:.

Though given that, even with this marathon, there's still plenty of episodes left this season, I wouldn't be surprised if it's another slow-burn like Adam's arrival was :ack:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I was kinda surprised to see Titus again. The early part of season one seemed to be building him up as a fairly major recurring character for the show, then he just disappeared. It's nice to know they didn't forget about him.

And Adam Warlock is named after Adam Ant. Sure. Why not?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This was easily one of the best episodes of the show and any complainers can watch this if they think the show isn't that great.

The opening with Star-Lord saving the cocoon from being transported I believe ;), was just the start of his relationship with Warlock. When he heard the crying and took out baby Warlock, I thought it was so cute! :p It was interesting to see the Believers bow down to him once he took their weapons. I do think Adam Warlock could be the key to Mantis joining the Guardians as an ally. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm glad Cosmo got the team out of Knowhere since they basically became extremely high level fugitives instead of the normal level they're usually at. It made sense that the black Nova helmet would react to Warlock's release and Titus returning was the cherry on top. I expected this sooner (in season one), but it's better late than never.

I did feel like Titus' return was overshadowed by Warlock so perhaps someone else should've shown up who we haven't had to wait so long for. It was still great to see and hear Titus and his interactions with both Irani Rael/Nova Corps and the Guardians.

I loved seeing the Guardians attempt to watch over baby Warlock. It made sense that Gamora and Rocket didn't want anything to do with him. Because of Drax's history with kids and Groot's protection of the egg in Free Birds, I expected those two to be watching over the baby. When he turned into a toddler, it was fun to see the team deal with this inquisitive, super-powered young being. Drax playing with him was so adorable!

When he turned into a kid, the Guardians felt like his family and Titus was ruining an important part of his childhood by attacking. Seeing Titus unleash young Warlock's dark side definitely supported and confirmed the Guardians' fear and doubt of Warlock. It was sad to see Gamora's words affect Warlock as his tornado of emotions turned to the darkness they feared.

I really liked Peter's conversation with Warlock, considering how Peter treated Warlock despite both father figures, J'Son and Yondu, being terrible to him. It showed how Peter wanted to be a better father figure to Warlock than either one of them were to him.

Warlock becoming an adult and Peter naming him were strong ways for the episode to end. The team seemed reluctant to trust him, but Adam also seemed to prove he could be a force for good, including his moment with Groot. The black Nova helmet and Adam leaving made sense, but I surely hope Adam's role in this season is as powerful as this episode. What a great introduction to the character considering his complicated history in the comics and no movie counterpart to look at for inspiration.

This marathon was great all the way through and it's ramped up my hype for more Guardians with the Telltale game coming out this week and James Gunn confirming he'll write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3! Lots of Guardians goodness to look forward to with the second movie and the All-New Guardians of the Galaxy comic series on the way as well. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TheLemsterPju

I can see why Thanos is afraid of Warlock, mainly because of how much weaker this version of Thanos is. (Well, inconsistently weak. He can survive a black hole, but can't get his butt up immediately after getting hit by a train.) :oops:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty awesome episode. It's cool the show introduced Adam Warlock. It was fairly predictable that sarcophagus/cocoon was leading up to his debut so I am glad it finally happened. His childhood with the Gaurdians lead to some pretty amusing stuff but I was more impressed by what happened afterwards, when Titus came back.

It's cool they brought in Titus again, I admit I pretty much forgot about him but I think he was a decent character last season. Armed with the black Nova helmet he was more impressive this time. Interesting how they tried explaining some of Warlock's background (I also liked that bit with most of the main cast knowing different stuff about him). Him destroying Titus with ease was a pretty cool scene.

Quill's speech to Warlock about choosing to be good or evil was pretty well-written and did get the message across. It's a little disappointing Warlock left after his debut was stretched throughout the season so far, but I am pretty sure we haven't seen the last of him. I am looking forward to his inevitable return. All in all, this was one of the best episodes this season.

Cast list:

Will Friedle - Star-Lord A.K.A. Peter Quill
    Trevor Devall - Rocket Raccoon, Arokine
    Kevin Michael Richardson - Groot
    Vanessa Marshall - Gamora
    David Sobolov - Drax
    James Arnold Taylor - Cosmo, Rookie
    Jennifer Hale - Mantis
    JB Blanc - Titus
    Tara Strong - Nova Prime, Toddler Warlock, Kid Warlock
    Eric Bauza - Warlock, Baby Warlock

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Fellas! (And women if any post here!)

What if murdering Titus is the thing that turns Adam evil?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still wondering if he actually killed Titus. It looked like he was vaporized, but I'm wondering if that wasn't just a more visceral absorption into his Soul Gem o_O?

Also of note is that they specifically called it a "gem" and not a "stone," which I guess differentiates it from the Infinity Stones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TheLemsterPju

He'll be back. No bad guy ever dies for good in these shows.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

What's weird is they sure seem to be almost setting up this show for the origin story of Nova/Sam Alexander, who used to be a member of the Guardians in Ultimate Spider-Man. But it was the past version of the Guardians who got reformatted to the movie-style versions in Avengers Assemble season 2.

But I do want an actual Quasar on this show. Wouldn't surprise me if we see Magus as well later on. I'm glad we got a proper origin story in the show for Adam Warlock at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

Makes sense that Quill would be the one to snap Warlock out of his anguish cyclone. Their backgrounds are so similar, which also ties in with the larger theme that the Guardians are ultimately just a collection of cosmic misfits trying to do good.

Yeah, it's very Batman V. Superman, except with likeable characters and clear motivations.

He'll be part of the Substitute Guardians (featuring Cosmo, Mantis, Yondu, and Nova).

"No hat gets to decide what you are!" Tell that to this guy:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1