1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Origins" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 4, 2015.

?

Rate these Guardians of the Galaxy shorts!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

20.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Marvel and Disney XD will be premiering a series of Guardians of the Galaxy animated shorts - which act as a pre-cursor to the upcoming cartoon - throughout the month of August on an assortment of platforms and at different times. Discuss all the animated shorts as they're released - right here!

[​IMG]

Use this thread to discuss the Guardians of the Galaxy animated shorts!

Both parts of Short #1, Star-Lord, are available on Itunes, and have also been uploaded on Marvel's Youtube channel.

Part 1:

Link to Part 2

The first part of Short #2, Groot, is now available on Itunes!
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Origins!
    Update: August 8th - Part 2 of Short #2, Groot, is now available on Itunes.
    Update: August 10th - Both parts of Short #2, Groot have been uploaded on Marvel's Youtube channel. Link to Part 1 | Link to Part 2

Update: August 15th - Both parts of Short #3, Rocket Raccoon are now available on Itunes.
    Update: August 16th - Both parts of Short #3, Rocket Raccoon have been uploaded on Marvel's Youtube channel. Link to Part 1 | Link to Part 2

Update: August 23rd - Both parts of Short #4, Drax are now available on Itunes.
    Update: August 23rd - Both parts of Short #4, Drax have been uploaded on Marvel's Youtube channel. Link to Part 1 | Link to Part 2.

Update: August 30th - Both parts of Short #5, Gamora are now available on Itunes.
    Update: August 30th - Both parts of Short #5, Gamora have been uploaded on Marvel's Youtube channel. Link to Part 1 | Link to Part 2.

Related threads:

"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

#1 RoyalRubble, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

They should have used a child actor for young Star Lord.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Anyone else think the art style looks a bit like the Boondocks?

I'm loving the art and animation, it isn't nearly as stiff as AA but looks more modern and colorful than US.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

More colourful than US? No but way better than AA big time. I would like more lighting designs Like this

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    #4 bigdaddy313, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  5. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

The proper lighting and placement of shadows is also what makes this show look great. Also, the CGI is properly done. One (but not the only) of the reasons why so many of us hate AA and AGENTS OF SMASH, is because the art and animation looks bad. If those 2 shows looked as good as GOTG, then the hate and anger towards those shows would be (at the very least) lessened.

6. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

So kid Peter acts like a mini-adult in every way.

Adult Star Lord seems to be a 5 year old on a sugar high. Yeah, that's some disparate right there.

7. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Just going by the movie, I took it as a result of an unusual upbringing. Maybe the Ravagers treated him too much like a little kid, and/or lived without moral or order (aside from obeying Yondu)?

8. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

It's the mini-adult thing that's bugging me, it's just even more jarring when it jump cuts to adult Star Lord. The 5 year old on a sugar high part is just them trying to be Chris Pratt.

9. bigdaddy313

Don't be bugged too much you will feel better once you have seen the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

You mean the other shorts? Seen them already, didn't stop me being bugged by mini-adult Peter. ;)

11. bigdaddy313

Do those shots make you hopeful for the series, those it feel like the old Marvel?

12. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Meh, they're ok, But since they're all origin stories and just trying way too hard to set up the movie when it wasn't needed, I can't judge the series on them.

I also wasn't a fan of them making these unconnected characters all connected in some way. That wasn't really necessary, they worked fine in the movie without that no need to work it into the series.

13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

The animation kind of reminds me of the cel animation segment from the opening of the Marvel MMO video game.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

15. bigdaddy313

16. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I thought the Groot one was pretty good. If I could change one thing, I would leave out Rocket's narration. Go the minimal dialogue/Tartakovsky route, y'know?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Groot's animation bothered me but only because it is a pet peeve of mine when they show an alien planet and all the aliens look exactly the same.

Easier to animate I understand but come on, that's like an alien invasion of Earth happening and showing a bunch of men with blonde hair and blue eyes running around in terror lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I can actually buy it in this case because they all seem to have the same name so having them look the same kinda flows from that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bigdaddy313

Now just thinking about it, it would have made a difference design wise if every Groot was different looking, like the trees in Lord of the Rings.

But it's all good since they all blow up anyways which is sad.

And they have shown people die in a Marvel Animated show on Disney XD, I know they are trees but they are alive and talking and that speaks volumes on the change in tone.

The other three shows wont even dare do this, I guess they are really following Star Wars Rebels after all since it' the Num #1 on Disney XD.

In all honesty if Marvel did this since after AEMHS we would have never complained really and that's the truth.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I still need to watch that show. But I'm waiting to get in the mood to watch the whole franchise in order, starting with The Phantom Menace.

Or maybe, maybe, it was an overreaction to how USM's first season turned out, which left them a bad impression for future programming.

#20 TheLemsterPju, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015