1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Nova Me, Nova You" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 12:30PM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Nova Me, Nova You"
    Episode Debut - July 8th, 2017
    Written by - Grant Moran
    Directed by - James Yang

When the Nova Corps catch up with the Guardians and Sam, the fight is taken to Sam’s hometown.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This episode was a really great conclusion to the Sam story. I didn't expect to see Sam's mom and sister since I don't even think his family was mentioned in Ultimate Spider-Man. When Spider-Man's friends were homeless, they all lived with Peter and Aunt May for awhile, so I'm curious if something happened to Sam's family before that.

J'Son was really deceptive pretending to be a cop at both Sam's school and home just to get to him. It was great to see the Guardians help out Sam at his school and later at his house. Peter's inspector impersonation was amusing since he had to be discrete to keep Sam's family out of danger. J'Son turning supernova was a pretty intense event. I'm glad Sam sent him into space. Rhomann Dey and the Guardians giving Sam advice about being a member of the Nova Corps was a touching way to see him continue in his father's footsteps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 Greg91, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. General Mike

General Mike Member

So the principal was totally supposed to be the principal from Back to the Future right? All that was missing was him calling Sam a slacker.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a great way to end this Nova mini-arc. It was cool seeing more of Sam's friends and family (well, and some "enemies" from school). In a way the scenes at his school, before J'Son attacked, reminded me of the recent Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel short from Avengers: Secret Wars. Most of the scenes with the principal were pretty hilarious.

That scene with both the Guardians and J'Son visiting Sam's family was pretty clever. I liked the big fight between Sam and J'Son, and it was nice seeing the Nova Corps in there as well. I doubt we have seen the last of J'Son so I am looking forward to his return later on the show.

It was cute seeing Sam try and disguise his voice while wearing the Nova helmet but of course his mom would recognize him. All in all, this was a nice introduction for him and I thought they managed to make him into a pretty likeable character, especially when compared to his portrayal on Ultimate Spider-Man. Similarly, I'm also looking forward to his eventual return in future episodes.

All in all, some pretty great stuff. I think this and the previous episode ("Knight In Black Helmets") were the best episodes in this marathon.

Here's the cast list:
    gotg-19.png

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I never thought I would say this but this episode made me like Sam. Wow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't expect to see Sam's family. Bonus points for making Sam's mother cool with the whole situation, and not add some pointless drama. And of course his sister would think Rocket was a cute pet.

I have to say, some of the fight scenes have definitely shown improvements. The Nova vs. J'Son battle was really intense, and in general, all the action scenes here were well-animated.

Yeah, Sam is definitely a step up here from USM.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

Yeah, cliches this stale are awkward, especially when there's so little time portray them.

This had some pretty memorable action scenes.

"Keyed to your DNA." I'm really tired of this plot device.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode, and this arc as a whole, was effectively the origin story Sam deserved in animation but was never given. I almost want to say that if there's a character who's just not working in the Marvel Animated Universe, send them to the writing team of Guardians of the Galaxy and they'll make it work :proud:.

I mean, not only do we get to see his actual life outside of being a Superhero, with his family, school, classmates and trouble with teachers, but we've really gotten more insight into his character and a more fleshed out, human, version of Sam here then we ever did in four seasons of Ultimate Spider-Man. Contrasted with the obnoxious tool he was so often on USM, this Sam seems much more like a decent kid who I wouldn't mind watching on a consistent basis :anime:.

This episode almost kind of felt like a tribute to Sam in the comics, particularity the Gerry Duggan Nova run, introducing his Mom and sister and the whole family dynamic with him as Nova, Carrie, his school bully, his teachers. It was just really nice :D.

It was really cool to see Sam's Mom and how she deals with his being Nova, proving you should never underestimate the mother and wife of a Superhero, as well as his precocious and excitable sister, particularly once she got a hold of Rocket. Melanie Minichino gave Eva a solid, youthful, feel as a mother, with plenty of sass to go along with it, while Della Saba got Kaelynn down to pat :deedee:.

It was nice to see John C Rei...I mean, Rhomann Dey again, even if it was once again in a role that pitted him against our heroes (if not without good reason). It was also cool to see him give Sam the Nova Corps. seal of approval so he can really be a hero now, particularly given he was effectively the Nova equivalent of Abin Sur in the comics :).

It's not obvious at all that Quill never graduated from middle school :rolleyes2:.

I guess it's not surprising that Rocket was able to just rebuild Quaddie off-screen, though it would've been interesting to see him have to do without it in subsequent episodes. I'm glad the remote-control device for the Milaon stuck around though ;).

I love how Peter uses his knowledge of the Avengers to send the bill for all the damage to Stark Industries :p.

The fight scenes between the Guardians and Sam vs. J'Son were pretty exciting, with some real dynamic and exciting action sequences, particularly when Sam and J'Son went toe-to-toe. Sam really got to prove himself as a hero here, and his first public outing as one to boot, particularly against such a formidable villain like J'Son :cool:.

I wonder if Jesse Alexander might still be alive. Everyone else seems unsure about it, particularly after Sam's vision of Jesse going Supernova against Thanos, but if J'Son managed to survive going as overboard as he did, it stands to reason Jesse might have as well...

I was hoping we would see Sam stick around the team for a little while longer, to at least facilitate the idea of some kind of addition to the team, but it makes sense that the Guardians would leave him to his life on Earth and Sam has had at least three episodes focused on him by this point. Of course, I'm sure we'll see him again, particularly given Sam is one of the last Black Nova's and they have a deep connection to Warlock :ack:.

I wonder if both Sam and Adam count as "reserve" Guardians? Of course this version of the Guardians would never be formal enough to have a "reserve" of anything :shrug:.

I think he's actually a character from Sam's Nova run in the comics. I'm not sure if it's the same exact character, but I think there was a faculty figure in Sam's life that was pretty similar to the principal here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I wish more people gave this show a chance. It's not perfect, but it definitely deserves a lot more attention and love from fans.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. General Mike

General Mike Member

Could be, and since Sam Alexander is a newer character, the guy in the comics could be a reference to BttF. He definitely looked like this guy to me:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Nope. The character was taken from the Sam Alexander Nova comic book series.

[​IMG]

I've really been enjoying the Nova arc for Guardians. We have Jonathan Frakes back as J'Son and he's a great villain. This is almost like the setup to before we meet Sam at the beginning of Ultimate Spider-Man, even though, yes, this is basically a separate continuity. It sounds like they kept the same voice actor for Nova at least. However, I recall in Ultimate Spider-Man, that Sam was basically an orphan as the other SHIELD recruits were. Or at least that's how it came off. Luke's parents were being held hostage by HYDRA unknowingly. White Tiger's father was murdered by Kraven. Danny was raised in K'un L'un and likely still lost his parents in his youth.

But the Guardians we met in Ultimate Spider-Man weren't the movie style Guardians either :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm basically just viewing this as a reboot of Sam in the cartoons.

I guess you could kind of construe this whole arc as a prequel to USM and Sam's proper "origin story" and first encounter with the Guardians, but the timeline is so wonky and the characters are so different that it's just going to make you scratch your head more then anything else :confused:.

• Like Like x 1