Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Mr. Roboto" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 1:00PM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Mr. Roboto"
    Episode Debut - July 8th, 2017
    Written by - Steven Melching
    Directed by - Jeff Wamester

Searching for a weapon strong enough to match J’son, the Guardians seek out master boom-maker Ja Kyee.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

What happened? I got a black screen for at least most of the episode and one of those "please stand by" rainbow things.

Completely unprofessional. I don't know if it was an editing mistake, but the condition it was in was unairable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I really enjoyed this episode, but I felt like it could have aired at a later date on its own since it was pretty self-contained from the previous three episodes. It was fun to see Rocket freak out like a fanboy over Ja Kyee. I thought Ja Kyee was a really strong character with a great voice and design. She felt powerful, intelligent and confident. The sentries had a great design as well.

It was pretty amusing to see Rocket get excited by the sentry attacking the team early in the episode to the point where Rocket let himself get electrocuted. When he met Ja Kyee for the first time, his reaction was awesome and Trevor Devall did a great job in that scene.

There were many humorous moments and references like Star-Lord's references to Transformers and War Games. The Transformers joke was more amusing because Will Friedle plays Bumblebee on Transformers: Robots in Disguise. The War Games reference also reminded me of Black Widow in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I also enjoyed Star-Lord's explanation of tic tac toe and Drax's attempt to beat it. If you search 'shall we play a game' in Google, you can play tic tac toe against a CPU!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. General Mike

General Mike Member

I had that at the beginning of my record, but it only affected the commercials in between the episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was pretty good, though I agree it felt kind of disjointed from the Nova arc in the last couple of episodes. By comparison, I thought this was kind of boring.

I don't know a lot about Ja Kyee though I see she's from the comics as well. She was a pretty good character I guess. Rocket being a fan of hers was a nice idea and it was amusing seeing him so starstruck but it got kind of annoying by the end.

The robots didn't really leave any impression on me but they were decent antagonists if only for an episode. Quill's tic-tac-toe strategy was pretty funny and most of the action scenes were good, but other than that I don't really have much to say about this story.

Here's the cat list:
    gotg-20.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, this was basically a filler episode. Nothing special, but not bad either. It was kinda fun seeing Rocket go into fanboy mode.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

It reminded me of War Games because I forgot that there was reference to that in Winter Soldier.

I was just sitting there waiting for Peter to make a divide by zero joke and it never came...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

J'Son's fate seemed pretty ambiguous in the last episode but I guess we're all just going to all assume he's coming back at some point because that's how these shows work :rolleyes2:.

JaKyee is a character from the Kelley Sue DeConnick Captain Marvel run, edited by Stephen Wacker, so I guess I'm not surprised to see her pop here in Guardians. It was pretty cool seeing her play a major role in this episode and have her tech expertise and nonchalant personality emphasized, and how that bounced off the Guardians, which was conveyed effectively through Toks Olagundoye's performance and her British accent :).

I wonder, does it count as LGBT representation even if the character's persuasion never comes up in the plot or is alluded to at all? I guess it does, though maybe I'm just used to the subtle nods DC cartoons would make back in the day :sweat:.

Rocket fanboying over JaKyee was pretty hilarious, if only because it was such a change to see him like that compared to his usual self. Seeing him show someone such respect and reverence, and wanting to prove himself, is as far from the gruff, devil may care, anti-social raccoon we know and love as you can get. And Devall just sells it :p.

Probably the most entertaining part of the Ultroid vs. Sentry war (aside from their cool robot designs), was that they led to a Transformers gag and mirrored the typical robot civil war conflict that's a staple of that franchise. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given Steven Melching, the writer of the episode, was a major writer on Transformers Prime ;).

I wonder, since Quill seems to know about the Transformers franchise, what version he watched as a kid? If the cartoon timeline is the same as the movie, the Ravagers took him during 1988, so I think the original Generation 1 cartoon would've still been on the air...

Tic-Tac-Toe is obviously not Drax's kind of game :ack:.

You know your robots are advanced when they can defy logic bombs :eek:.

Of course they combine :cool:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1