1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Lyin' Eyes" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, tonight at 9:00PM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Lyin' Eyes"
    Episode Debut - March 18th, 2017
    Written by - Kevin Burke & Chris "Doc" Wyatt
    Directed by - Jeff Wamester

When Rocket and Drax wake up with absolutely no memory of the night before, the Guardians must piece together their adventures.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 2
    #1 RoyalRubble, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I don't know why Yondu's skin was shaded for a few moments, but it looked nice compared to the flat colors.

Also, that eye-peeling joke was great.

Aaand they just leave a lot of those religious people to (supposedly) die from the radiation of that gas planet, including Mantis. :(

• Like Like x 3
    #2 TheLemsterPju, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

What a great episode. Much stronger than the season premiere. This is what I'm looking for in Guardians. It has some jokes, but still takes itself seriously with solid writing. Rocket's constant lying and team-up with Drax was a pretty strong part of this episode. I found the description of the episode interesting since they seemed to imply the episode was similar to the plot of The Hangover, but it didn't exactly play out like that which is nice.

The fan-service was pretty cool to see. I was surprised to see the Blood Brothers return after last appearing in Avengers Assemble season one back in 2013. They were much more interesting in this episode. Yondu, Ebony Maw, the Broker, Mantis and the Universal Believers (or Universal Church of Truth) were all great to see again.

Yondu's tricks may have screwed him over with the sarcophagus. I wonder if Ebony Maw has truly left the Black Order or if he was simply venturing on his own. It seems that Mantis is no friend to the Guardians so no wonder they didn't break her out when they were on Spartax. I guess after the damage to Spartax from Thanos and the Asgardians, prisoners probably broke free so it makes sense that she is out and about. Or Victoria could've freed the prisoners since J'Son might have imprisoned some of them unfairly.

I liked seeing the Universal Believers again and with a few more members as well. I doubt it's the last we've seen of them or Mantis though I'm not sure we'll see her join the Guardians any time soon. At least, the show is portraying her differently from what the MCU seems to be doing with her. The Howard the Duck cameo was fun and a nice throwback to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Overall, I really liked this episode. Drax and Rocket always come off as an oddball couple so it was nice to see an episode focused on them. I felt bad after Drax found out he had been deceived by Rocket so many times. At least Rocket's lying actually had some use.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #3 Greg91, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I guess only Guardians could pull off a kid-friendly version of "The Hangover," though in doing so I felt they delivered the best and most fun episode of the season so far :D

I feel like we don't really see Rocket and Drax pair up that much, but this episode proved how much comedy potential they have as a duo. You have Drax, an oaf who takes everything literally, and Rocket, a fast-talking and constantly lying raccoon. The jokes practically write themselves :p.

Kind of funny that we had both Yondu and Mantis in this episode, given they'll be joining the team in Vol. 2. It would've been even more suspicious if Nebula had popped up. Time will tell if they'll follow their movie counterparts in becoming Guardians, though it's certainly something I'm curious to see unfold :rolleyes2:.

Man, Yondu looked really disheveled in this episode. He's gone from being a fairly significant nuisance to the team to being easily intimidated by Rocket and Drax. I guess all his defeats from season one must have really gotten to him, especially since it seems like the Ravagers have completely abandoned him. And to top it all off, his own greed gets him blasted by the sarcophagus :eek:.

It was nice to finally see Mantis again after how we left her last season, though she still unfortunately ends up opposing the Guardians here. You'd think they'd be a little more receptive to seeing her again, rather then still treating her as crazy lady, given everything she told them about J'Son ended up being right. Though I guess given how they basically abandoned her on Spartax, there's understandably no love loss between the two of them :shrug:.

Though hopefully there might be some reconciliation in-store later on, and we can see Mantis definitively on the side of the good guys later on ;).

Maw turning up with the Believers was an interesting surprise, though his powers did lend themselves well to the group and he was always one of the more interesting members of the Black Order. Though this makes me curious if we'll see the rest of his old group again later on :evil:?

I guess if there was any doubt whether the Universal Believers were a stand-in for the Church of Universal Truth from the comics, this episode should clear things up quite a bit as they refer to their "Patriarch" and are obsessed with getting the sarcophagus/cocoon, and the deliberate mentioning of the word "golden" as part of the prophecy :ack:.

Anyone who knows anything about Adam Warlock's story can easily guess who the "Patriarch" is, and I assume they'll be the main villain of this season, and Warlock is a "golden man." There's definitely a lot of story potential and compelling drama that can be mined from this, and a potentially strong villain in the Patriarch, so hopefully the show is able to do this story justice and stick the landing with what they're setting up :cool:.

Y'know, with all the focus on Quill as the "chosen one" way back in season 1, I wonder if that just related to stopping J'Son and securing the Cosmic Seed or if Peter has some kind of role to play in the prophecy the Believers are going on about now o_O?

It's nice to see the team cared enough to get worried and look for Rocket and Drax. It was a few days late, but it's the thought that counts :).

I think I've noticed that I tend to enjoy the episodes where Star-Lord is consistently competent, without a moment of him being an incompetent man-child, the most :anime:.

The Believers being able to believe themselves to victory, or to practically anything, is certainly an impressive feat. Turning their mental abilities into something so tangible and sustaining is a credit to the Patriarch's teachings, as much as it also makes the group very dangerous. Though their fatal weakness being a single tinge of doubt is a pretty big sore spot to overcome :oops:.

And I guess if Mantis is so reliant on her belief to fight, she probably isn't as adept at hand-to-hand combat as her comic self :sad:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fun episode. I remember Avengers Assemble tried a plot similar to this back in "Hulk's Day Out", but I think this turned out a lot better. The team-up between Rocket and Drax was pretty entertaining and their interactions were fun. It was nice seeing Rocket interact more with another member of the team apart from Groot.

I liked the return of Mantis though I was not expecting her to be more of a villain in the episode. I admit, it's been so long since she made her brief debut last season I kind of forgot all about the Universal Believers and what they did in their last appearance, and basically only remembered her talking about a prophecy and then being imprisoned at J'Son's orders. I liked how the Believers were handled here, they made for pretty great adversaries though their constant "believe" lines got a little annoying.

I think they're setting up the story-line in regards to that sarcophagus rather nicely. The Believers will most likely return to try and collect it, and I am guessing the Guardians will also end up in some other trouble like they usually do, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Some other highlights from the episode:
    - The Blood Brothers, also an improvement over their Avengers Assemble versions
    - Yondu's return and trickery, with his plan seemingly not ending as well as he expected
    - Ebony Maw, who makes sense to have joined the Believers considering his abilities and the fact he kind of has a vendetta against the Guardians is just a bonus
    - The Howard the Duck cameo, though I was expecting him to have a line as well

All things considered, a pretty great episode and indeed an improvement over the first two episodes from last week.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a pretty fun episode, partially because Drax and Rocket have a fun rapport that, surprisingly, hasn't really been explored until now. Though, the scene where a starving Drax saw Rocket as "food" was...disturbing. Good thing they got rescued soon after that (though some friends. Didn't notice missing comrades for over three days!)

The moral of this episode reached Teen Titans Go levels of "Wait, what?" Who knew that being a compulsive liar could save the day? ;)

The only scene I really had a problem with was how Rocket and Drax were able to follow Yondu's arrow on foot. Maybe nitpicky, but I feel the arrow should have quickly evaded them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm actually kind of surprised it took them this long to do a Howard the Duck gag :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Not bad it was a fun episode I did laugh.

The visual where very distracting to me but it was still entertaining to watch.

• Like Like x 3
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's the cast list, if anyone's interested:

Will Friedle - Star-Lord A.K.A. Peter Quill
    Trevor Devall - Rocket Racoon, Arokine
    Kevin Michael Richardson - Groot, Broker, Blood Brothers
    Vanessa Marshall - Gamora
    David Sobolov - Drax
    Jennifer Hale - Mantis
    James Urbaniak - Ebony Maw, Acolyte
    James Arnold Taylor - Yondu, J'Que, Raker

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I especially enjoyed the episode because it focused on the Rocket and Drax pairing which we don't see a lot. The visual of the two being stuck in a desert for three days while Rocket fails to fix a device is hilarious, along with Drax picturing Rocket as food. I guess Mantis is remaining a villain type for now.

I'm assuming the sarcophagus holds Adam Warlock, Magus and/or both.

If I have one complaint, I don't think they needed to make this being The Hangover plot so obvious. Like for example, ending it with them looking up photos for what happened the night before, just like the ending of The Hangover. I got nothing against The Hangover, but the original movie is like eight years old now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

I have a soft spot for those Indiana Jones/Ark of the Covenant moments where the mystical artifact suddenly reveals it's more dangerous than the villains seeking to harness it's power.

I'm sure they're fine. Two of those characters were named after all.

I think it helps that events were fairly linear compared to "Hulk's Day Out" which just felt like it went from one thing to another.

I just assumed they were following the arrow's energy readings or something...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1