Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Knights In Black Helmets" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 12:00PM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Knights In Black Helmets"
    Episode Debut - July 8th, 2017
    Written by - Henry Gilroy
    Directed by - Jeff Wamester

The Guardians chase after J’son and Mantis as they try to manipulate Sam to do their bidding by promising him clues to the location of his missing father.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

#1 RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

What a waste of Mantis....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This was another great episode. I was surprised to see the team had to go inside a creature to locate J'Son. Rocket was a real tech genius in the episode, figuring out all kinds of ways to solve their problems. It's too bad his pocket dimension storage device was destroyed by Sam. When Rocket called him a rotten brat, you could tell he was furious about his device being broken.

I loved when the team all huddled around Rocket after Sam attacked him because it really showed how close the team was. It also showed how blinded Sam was by his search for his father. He really started to act like a villain at times, even though I knew Sam was being manipulated.

It was really awesome to see Mantis truly showing off her martial arts skills when she fought Gamora. I was really surprised to see her turn to stone and crumble. I was hoping she'd redeem herself somehow. At the very least, no one can say they copied the movies when he comes to Mantis. Being green, a villain and now no longer alive is very different from the MCU Mantis.

J'Son was such a villain in this episode when he essentially killed Mantis and threatened to kill Peter. Star-Lord has a truly terrible and disgusting dad in both this show and the MCU. When Sam took on Nova J'Son, it was great to see the Guardians have his back. I just felt bad that he didn't find his dad. Instead, the hologram video everyone saw seemed to show Thanos take him out to get to Warlock's cocoon. It was amusing to hear Rocket call Thanos wrinkles and it's always a treat to see Thanos now that he's not a major threat on the show. I really enjoyed the story of this episode.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #3 Greg91, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  4. General Mike

General Mike Member

Real sad they got rid of Mantis already. Would have liked to see her redeemed in a future season, if not this season.

Loved the references to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Poor Rocket, lost both Quaddy and his storage vial this episode.

J'Son manipulating Sam would have worked better if they hadn't just done the same thing with Titus and Adam Warlock.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't really have a lot to say but I enjoyed this episode. It was cool learning more about how Thanos fought Sam's dad and how he obtained Warlock's cocoon. Plus I liked how suspenseful things got once the Guardians confronted J'Son and his followers. It was predictable, but still nice to see Sam isn't a villain. But J'Son is and now he's empowered by another Nova helmet so it should be interesting to see how things will play out in the next episodes.

I guess the only real complaint I have would be Mantis' comeuppance. It was pretty surprising but I suppose we'll see if they don't find a way to bring her back later on. They could probably come up with a decent explanation for that; stranger things have happened (especially in these shows :p)

Here's the cast list:
    gotg-18.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks like Thanos killed Richard in this universe, too. Too bad Sam had to see that.

I thought it was weird for Mantis to just get killed off like that, but at least they managed to squeeze in some martial arts skills (that I wish the film had used).

Even Peter acknowledged that Sam was an idiot (and could've given J'Son a fake helmet).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Feels like of the three movie-based properties, this one got alot more independence from the films.

I was wondering how they were going to reconcile Nebula and Yondu's development in the movies with how they've been characterized in the show (as irredeemable villains), but maybe they won't even bother.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder how the Nova Corps. was able to get a good enough info about Sam to get his name and an apparent mugshot of him with both his mask on and off :confused:?

I've seen cuter space whales :sweat:.

Y'know, Nolan North as Jesse Alexander makes me think he'd be a pretty good Richard Rider :).

Once again we learn that, even beyond his defeat, Thanos is still more or less responsible for all the trouble the Guardians have to deal with as we see him take out the ship carrying Sam's Dad and giving J'Son the opportunity to get the helmets, as well as finally seeing how he got a hold of Warlock's cocoon :mad:.

I know the Nova Corps. has never really presented themselves on this show as that effective or competent an organization, but having all those Centurion helmets just laying out there in space, even in the belly of a beast, seems like a big oversight on their parts :ack:.

I think it's a testament to the writing and Jonathan Frakes' performance that you can honestly see why people can so easily buy into J'Son, even knowing what we know about him. As much as he's a slimy con-man, more then his son ever was, he's also a convincing one, and even if Sam is at fault for buying so much into J'Son's lies, I can't say I completely blame him :sad:.

I don't know how I feel about what happened to Mantis. ON the one hand, I respect that the show had the guts to go in such an unexpected, and downright brutal, direction and completely dispel any notion that she could still be alive once Peter brought it up :eek:.

That being said...I don't know. I think she was a solid antagonist in the context of the show, but I'm not sure how I feel about them turning Mantis, who in the comics is a hero, an Avenger, and a major member of the Guardians, into a villainous zealot who gets turned into dust for her loyalty. Even setting aside how I'm not the biggest proponent for movie synergy, I was hoping we'd get to see Mantis join the team at some point. I'm also going to miss having Jennifer Hale as part of the cast :(.

At least she got to out showing at least some degree of her famous martial arts skills from the comics, however briefly :D.

The Guardians and Sam vs. a Black Helmet-powered J'Son was a pretty cool action sequence, as we saw some good teamwork on the Guardians part and some strong showings for Peter and Sam :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #8 Frontier, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Plot twist... Mantis will revive as MCU Mantis :p just wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1